You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > November 2014 - Fact, not Fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 321 (321 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Oct 27, 2014 04:38AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16851 comments I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little disturbed at the world at the moment. Seems like there are a lot of ignorant people all over the place, doing silly things as they are scared, mainly as they don't understand.

So I have decided, we are not going to be like those silly people. We are going to understand things. What things? I hear you ask. Well... you know. THINGS!

What I would like you to do this month is to pick up a non-fiction book. It can be about anything, but anything *you* would like to know more about. Under-water basket weaving, to building spaceships, to a biography of a hermit monk from 1200.

Just no fiction (and may be check that the author hasn't sold it as non-fiction and then made up “facts” to sell more books. Looking at you Mr Ebola-guy). And, I want you to tell us an interesting fact you learnt from your book. We can share the intelligence and beat ignorance together!

General Rules:
1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Chunkster Challenge.
3. The book must be read between November 1 to November 30, 2014 (based on your own time zone).
4. The book must be over 150pp long.
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.

Scoring

3pts - Fun Fact shared!

Topic
5pts – A topic you haven't read about before.
4pts – Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths.
3pts – Human Culture, Language, History.
2pts – Biography, Autobiography, Memoir.
1pt – Related to a hobby you do. Explain/share.

Cover (on the version you read)
5 pts – Has a bonfire on it.
4 pts – Cover is mostly orange.
3 pts – The Title is in blue.
2 pts – Author's name is bigger than the title.
1 pt – Has a mask on the cover.

Pages
5 pts - 600 - 1000 pages
4 pts - 500 - 599 pages
3 pts - 400 - 499 pages
2 pts - 300 - 399 pages
1 pt - 200 - 299 pages  

Bonus Points (count once): 
5pts – Mentions a horse race (for the Melbourne Cup).
5pts – Mentions a referendum (in honour of St Andrew's Day, official national day of Scotland).
5pts – Mentions a Scorpion.
5pts – Mentions a Centaur.

message 2: by Pragya (last edited Oct 27, 2014 04:55AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Ooh, love the challenge. I have a couple of those non-fiction lying around. This should help.

I began looking and found in my bookshelf-

Burma: A Nation at the Crossroads
The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Ooh, I'm excited about this one. :))

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) Great challenge. I have several non fiction books, so this is a great way to read some of them.

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha This is good. I have lots of non-fic on the tbr but they always get shoved aside for the fiction books. Now an excuse to get at least one read this month. thanks, ruslka. :)

message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4222 comments Debra wrote: "The Dinosaur Heresies: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction is my choice! Great challenge!"

Read that one way back when....

message 8: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10085 comments I think I'll read The Language of the Goddess.

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16851 comments I also figured most of us would have read an awful lot of fiction last week for the Toppler. Mix it up a little!

message 10: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Rusalka wrote: "I also figured most of us would have read an awful lot of fiction last week for the Toppler. Mix it up a little!"

Yeah, I have some good non-fiction books on my shelf that I just never seem to get to.

message 11: by Tasha (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:45AM) (new)

Tasha I may take this month as a way to knock a bunch of these of my tbr.

Young Stalin (oldest on my tbr and needs to go)
13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi (definitely reading this one!)
The Children's Blizzard
DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic

ETA: I forgot I own this one and have been wanting to get to it for a while: Black Hawk Down.

message 12: by Travis (new)

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Nope 2 also got The Demonologist: The Extraordinary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren. This is definitely a new topic for me

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "My audible binge did produce 1 Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders"

That's a great book, Travis.

message 15: by Camilla (last edited Oct 27, 2014 05:46AM) (new)

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I have a few non-fiction books but I tend to avoid them as it always takes me forever to work my way through them. But a challenge will keep me focused (hopefully). I'm midway through one on North Korea but I can't use that one as it's already started. Knowing what I'm like, I think I should choose a short book. And something topical too. So I think I'm going to go with Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians by Noam Chomsky and Ilan Pappé

message 17: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2402 comments Brilliant idea Rusalka - and so true. Haven't decided which book to read just yet, but I'm definitely in.

message 18: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3078 comments Now THIS is a challenge. I'm off to see what I can find.

message 19: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 27, 2014 04:10PM) (new)

Stephanie Woohoo! I have a book about my favorite goalie in the NHL that I have been wanting to read but hadn't gotten around to it :-) It is Brodeur: Beyond the Crease

message 20: by Lisa (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:06AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am really excited about this challenge!

I think I will read The Twelve Caesars by the Roman historian Suetonius.

Also Rusalka, would you count online courses as a hobby?

message 21: by KimeyDiann (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:02AM) (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I practically never read non-fiction. I can't remember the last time I did. Probably when I was in college. I think I remember reading Bringing Elizabeth Home: A Journey of Faith and Hope for a book report my freshman year.... that's been more than a few years ago now. :)

I look forward to finding something to fit this challenge!

message 22: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I coincidentally just purchased The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan so I'll be reading that for this challenge.

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Oct 28, 2014 01:16PM) (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I've been thinking about my book choice - knowing me as well as I do, even with a challenge, I'm thinking a book on Gaza will be heavy going and won't have any feel good factor or happy ending. I'm thinking I might have to go with something a bit lighter. So other options are:
A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
Narrow Margins
Bloody London: Shocking Tales from London's Gruesome Past and Present
Seven Years in Tibet
The Psychology of Dexter
The Thrift Book

I won't rule out my first choice but I'll choose nearer the time I think.

EDIT: other possibles:
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47889 comments This is funny! Just this morning I was thinking about a non-fiction book that had been recommended to me a while ago, This I Know: Notes on Unraveling the Heart. I was wondering when I would actually read it if I didn't have incentive to move it up. And now I do. :)

message 25: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments This sounds interesting. Why should it have a bonfire on the cover - is that because Guy Fawkes day is in November?

With the points system, when it goes down from 5 to 1, if the book fits more than one of the criteria (say it had a bonfire on the cover and also a mask) would you get the points for each of the criteria it fits (so 5 points plus 1 point in this example) or just the highest one? (With the page numbers, of course you can only select one, but I'm thinking with the topic and the cover.)

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments Normally we can score for multiple criteria if it fits it unless it's different this time round!

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47889 comments Sometimes we pick things arbitrarily. And other times, there may be more of a reason behind it. Rusalka can tell you if she was thinking of Guy Fawkes day when she chose to give points for a bonfire.

You get points for each criteria that applies in each section.

message 28: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments My tbr list is getting longer after perusing the books everyone is reading for this challenge. Some good ones. Look forward to more to come!

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Does a goalie mask count?

message 30: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1977 comments Does a surgeon's face mask count?

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14812 comments Awesome idea! The world is so interesting, it's going to be hard to pick just one!

And so many intetesting suggestions made here :)

message 32: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14812 comments Rusalka, if I for example read fiction about WW2 before but not non-fiction, would I still get the 5 points for reading something new?

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14812 comments What's the name of that book again about a woman whose cells (?) were taken without her knowledge and used in the advancement of medicine or something like that?

message 34: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Peggy, sounds like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I haven't read it tho it's on my tbr list.

message 36: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments If you want to know about a fascinating man Steve Jobs is an excellent book. For a different side of WWII try No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt - The Home Front in World War II I cannot recommend these 2 enough

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments One I just read for toppler that everyone should read The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary i mean we all just take the dictionary for granted

message 38: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 1075 comments Interesting challenge! I will be looking through some biographies.

message 39: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I can second Travis on recommending the Steve Jobs book bio. Interesting material presented in good straight-forward prose.

message 41: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "Peggy, sounds like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I haven't read it tho it's on my tbr list."

Oh I got that one too. Choices, choices.

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18169 comments I've been meaning to read the Henrietta Lacks one for ages - it sounds really interesting.

message 43: by Gail (last edited Oct 27, 2014 11:40AM) (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "One I just read for toppler that everyone should read The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary i mean we all just take t..."

That is a really good book - the original UK version has a different title: The Surgeon of Crowthorne. (It's the same book, but the US gave it a different title.)

message 44: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14812 comments Are there no author points this time by the way?

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47889 comments Henrietta Lack's story is very good!

message 46: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments By the way, is this challenge the equivalent of the Madame Tutti Fruiti challenge in October? Is there a different challenge each month? (I'm still trying to figure out how the challenges work.)

message 47: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Gail wrote: "By the way, is this challenge the equivalent of the Madame Tutti Fruiti challenge in October? Is there a different challenge each month? (I'm still trying to figure out how the challenges work.)"

Yes, Gail. It's equivalent to Madame Tutti Frutti challenge. There's a different challenge each month.

message 48: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Ah okay - thanks. Sounds fun. Are they always unexpected, so you don't know what they will be until they are announced?

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14812 comments They are always for one whole month, and usually announced around one week before.

You can see all previous challenges in this section as well, to get an idea. They are very varied!

message 50: by Gail (new)

Gail (appleshoelace) | 779 comments Thanks, Peggy - I'll take a look.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7