}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

Favorite Mermaids

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) What are your favorite mermaids an why? (From books or movies)

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments Actually from movies, I loved the Pirates of the Caribbean 4 mermaids. They were both beautiful and terrifying, but I also loved them in Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama and the Ingo series by Helen Dunmore. There re too many favourites to just pick one.

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Taylor wrote: "Actually from movies, I loved the Pirates of the Caribbean 4 mermaids. They were both beautiful and terrifying, but I also loved them in Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama and the Ingo series by He..."

Totally agree!

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Thank you for sharing!

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 103 comments Emm, I liked your comment about Zara! I'm going to have to reread your series sometime! I'm sure I've forgotten some things. I also like Meri (biased) and Anna. But my all time favorite mermaid EVER is Madison from Splash! She was the first mermaid I'd ever seen as a kid, and Ron Howard did such an amazing job on directing those scenes in the water. In regards to Madison, I liked her innocence, playfulness, and strength, especially in the end. I also really liked the mermaids in Pirates. That whole battle scene is amazing!

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Agree that the battle scene with the mermaids was awesome!

Isabel of the Sea (oceangirlie) Splash is such a good movie!

message 9: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dlgardner) | 33 comments You folks that write mermaids stories, how are you publishing yours? I tried Amazon Scout but they didn't take it and I queried about 25 agents so far. I so want to share Pouraka! Here is the video. I'd love some suggestions. I could publish with a small press but they don't do much promotion and to do all the work, the cut just isn't enough. Are you all self publishing?
Here is the trailer. My son took the underwater shots. The wobbly beach shot I took. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv30o...

message 10: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Dianne wrote: "You folks that write mermaids stories, how are you publishing yours? I tried Amazon Scout but they didn't take it and I queried about 25 agents so far. I so want to share Pouraka!"

Hello Dianne,
I have a small publisher lined up but I took a new job back in Sept. so progress is on hold at the moment. If this thing falls through, I'm definitely going to self-publish.

Howard Parsons
Author of the series Tails From Colony Island

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 103 comments I'm all for self-publishing! So many benefits. You just have to make sure you have something really good, that it's well edited and people other than your close friends and family like it! Then you format and upload it to Amazon as an ebook, totally free. You can also hook up with Createspace to create a book (print on demand).

message 12: by Pete (new)

Pete Tarsi (petetarsi) | 12 comments Emm wrote: "Madison is a good choice! Splash is a classic."

Agreed. Madison was my first mermaid as an early teen. Been "hooked" ever since!

message 13: by Pete (last edited Jan 06, 2015 05:15PM) (new)

Pete Tarsi (petetarsi) | 12 comments Yes, Dianne, best of luck to you. Just published a YA mermaid book myself about two months ago.

Flipping the Scales by Pete Tarsi
Can I include the mermaid characters there among my favorites, or is that too much bias? ;-)

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie O'Sullivan | 8 comments Hi all! I interviewed Pete about his mermaids and writing on my blog today - stop by and find out more about his fun YA mermaids in FLIPPING THE SCALES

http://katieosullivan.blogspot.com/20...

}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flipping the Scales (other topics)