South Shore Readers discussion

The Round House
This topic is about The Round House
Book Clubs- Past > Discussion: The Round House

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Oct 26, 2014 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1105 comments Mod
Our November book is The Round House by Louise Erdrich.

Join us in person on Sunday November 30th in Hingham or you can discuss here online in this thread.

You can see more details for the meeting and RSVP here: https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

Note: We've changed the location of the meeting to Crow's Landing in Hingham due to concerns that Derby St. will be a mad house the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I started reading the book last night and am about 30 pages in. So far it is a good and very intense read.

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
I'm on page 200 and I really like it too.

Susan | 19 comments I am reading it for the second time and am getting alot out of it with the second reading. Louise Erdrich is one of my favorite authors and Love Medicine was amazing-my favorite of her books!

Oooh, I'll have to check it out! I just finished this morning and really liked it.

I read Love Medicine several years ago (probably more like 10 years) and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to finish Round House in time for book club.

I don't have a reservation, so whoever gets there first please out our name in for a table for 6.

For the new folks, I will have a paperback copy of the book with me so look for that to help find the group.

It was a good meeting today with Susan, Denise & her niece, Cheryl (welcome!), and myself.

Our next pick is Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

What was the general opinion of the book? It seemed like most people (myself included) really liked it. I loved the interactions with Joe and his friends and thought their whole talk about a Darth vs. an Emperor was a riot. In some scenes (the end especially) they felt older than 13 to me. Shawna (was that her name or I getting confused?) taking the money was totally obvious but it still bummed me out. I didn't love the Nanatuck (?) story. I get the cultural significance but it kind of dragged out too much for me. S

I was the only person at the meeting who hadn't finished By the time of the meeting bad me!!). Everyone at the meeting really liked the book.

I finally finished reading it this morning. I also enjoyed the read. Yeah, I totally knew Sonja was going to take off with some of the money. The whole scene with the old guys and the birthday strip tease and tassels and all was totally uncomfortable.

We all loved the relationship Joe and his friends had as well.

I will clean up all of my double posts when I get on a real computer.

Sonja! I had the beginning and ending right at least!

Susan | 19 comments It was a great book, the ending seemed very sudden and I agree the scene with the strip tease was weird...but yet fit into the story. Anyway,.... Joanie I would love to come to the get together on the 14th so count me in. I can bring a dish or dessert. I also love the idea of a book swap....

So glad you can come Susan. I'll message you my address.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Doctor Zhivago (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Boris Pasternak (other topics)