Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Archive > Domestic Abuse in NR

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pavla (new)

Pavla Hi everyone, I'd like to ask you a favor. I am working on an paper about domestic violence in NR (specifically, how the heroines deal with the after effects of their abuse) and I have several books from the 90s, but can't find anything after 2000. I don't want to include JD Robb on this list, because the style of the In Death books is a bit different. Do any of you know any recent NR in which the issue of domestic violence is discussed? Thank you in advance for your answers.

message 2: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 26, 2014 04:02PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5900 comments Mod
The first book that comes to mind is Public Secrets.
Public Secrets by Nora Roberts

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta wrote: "The first book that comes to mind is Public Secrets.
Public Secrets by Nora Roberts"

Oops! Just realized this was published before 2000.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 736 comments How about Dance Upon the Air (2001).

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Let's try this again...

The first book in the Three Sisters Island trilogy, Dance Upon the Air, deals with domestic abuse. Also, one of the characters in The Sign of Seven Trilogy was raised in a home where there was abuse. His story is covered in the third book, The Pagan Stone, but it's discussed in all three books.

Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1) by Nora Roberts The Pagan Stone (Sign of Seven, #3) by Nora Roberts

message 6: by Pavla (new)

Pavla Thank you so much. I forgot about those. So far I have Public Secrets, The MacKade Brothers (Cassie's story is discussed in the first three books of the quartet), Montana Sky, and one of the O'Hurley Sisters + the two you've mentioned.
If you remember any others, it'd be a tremendous help. I am looking too, but with the amount of book NR has written...it's the needle in a haystack situation.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pinkfrenchgirl) | 70 comments "Carolina Moon" which is the October BOTM deals with it. The main character, Tory Bodeen, was physically abused by her father as a child. Not sure the year on that one, though.

message 8: by Talya (new)

Talya | 726 comments Mod
Pavla, are you extending it to parents as well, and not just spouses?

message 9: by Pavla (last edited Oct 28, 2014 03:58AM) (new)

Pavla Talya wrote: "Pavla, are you extending it to parents as well, and not just spouses?"

If you mean in the context of parent(s) being the abuser(s) then yes. Or at least partially. I want to explore how the abuse influences the dynamics in the romantic relationship of the abused heroine/hero and whether the way Roberts describes their trauma is constant or changes with time (e.g. in Public Secrets the trauma is present, but once Michael and Emma kiss - the trauma does not affect their physical relationship as much as their emotional one. In MacKade brothers, Cassie is terrified of having sex with Devin, but once she gets over that initial hesitation and fear, she is basically losing her virginity. The trauma does not translate into the act beyond being awkward and nervous.) That's why I am looking for books written later than the 90's, I want to see if there is any instance in NR when the heroine is traumatized into such an extent that it seems almost impossible for the hero and the heroine to ented a physical relationship (as in Kleypas' Blue-Eyed Devil).

message 10: by Pavla (new)

Pavla Thank you ladies. You're amazing!

message 11: by Drz (new)

Drz | 8 comments I think Whiskey Beach had an element in there.