Health, Fitness, Weight Loss discussion

Currently Reading > What health books are you currently reading ?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cat-Elektra (new)

Cat-Elektra (cattiecannslug) I am reading The Best Life Diet Revised and Updated. Plus, I'm reading The Best Life Diet Cookbook. Not bad reading. Have been taking notes and will probably come away with some interesting information. At least I'm hoping I can use this stuff. So much has to be passed in front of the eyes of my nutritionist for the okay. We'll see!!!

message 2: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dianne212) | 1 comments I keep my Body For Life Books nearby, I always find new things each time I open it!

message 3: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments I just started reading "Empty Harvest" by Dr Bernard Jensen. Very interesting & informative so far.

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin Eisen | 7 comments Don't believe the hype by gyms, trainers and equipment manufacturers devised for profit. Learn the scietific facts about exercise in the Amozon book "Healthy Exercise for Seniors and Non-Athletes". Simple activities like daily household chores and walking can keep you healthy.

If you want a more interesting activity, take Dr. Oz's ( a heart surgeon an TV host) advice to practice Qigong to be healthy and live to 100. Qigong (Chee Kung) is an ancient Chinese mind/body/breath practice, which has been shown to help about 200 diseases, ranging from the common cold to cancer. It can be done anywhere lying, sitting or standing. Qigong for health is easy to learn. See

https://www.facebook.com/healthyexerc...

message 5: by Len (new)

Len | 3 comments I'm reading the 4 cycle fat loss solutions and seems really good so far with some good tips I've never heard of before.

message 6: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments I just finished reading "Cause, Cure, and Cancer Free: How I Became a Cancer Escapee" by John Marra & Derek Vasconi.
Mr Marra explains how he used nutrition & stress reduction techniques to combat bladder cancer. Fantastic book.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Manning | 1 comments I'm reading Your Body's Many Cries for Water.

message 8: by Dale (last edited Jan 07, 2015 03:00PM) (new)

Dale (DJennings) | 2 comments I just finished this book titled "School Yourself Into Shape" I think it was recently published because I couldn't find it on Goodreads, I'll have to upload it. In any case, it was a great book. I've always struggled with diet and exercise, and this authors approach was very different. It was inspiring, informative, and actually funny. I would highly recommend it. I found it on Amazon

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin Eisen | 7 comments Learn the scientific facts about diet and exercise by reading the short article at

http://yang-sheng.com/?p=10824

so that you can judge if books that you read are nonsense or based on scientific facts.

message 10: by Dale (new)

Dale (DJennings) | 2 comments @martin this book is more about creating structure, consistency, and overcoming obstacles. It also teaches you how to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle

message 11: by JenWC (new)

JenWC | 2 comments I am reading Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD. My youngest son was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance this past spring and I needed more information on exactly what happens to a body with a gluten allergy. Very interesting!

message 12: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments Over the weekend I read "The Working Back: A Systems View" by William S. Marras. Very well researched & well written. Extremely informative.

Started reading "Foundation: Redefine your Core. Conquer Back Pain and Move with Confidence" by Dr Eric Goodman & Peter Park

message 13: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments Yesterday I read "1 degree of Change: The Standard Process 21-Day Purification Cookbook" Great book. Filled with tons of useful information and loaded with healthy recipes. Standard Process is an 85 year old supplement company started by Dr Royal Lee. Their supplements are derived from Certified Organic Whole Foods.

message 14: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments I started to read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects" by Weston A. Price. I'm excited to read Dr Price's work.

message 15: by Joann (new)

Joann | 2 comments I just finished "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Great book! Just started "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. Both great authors.

message 16: by Martin (new)

Martin Eisen | 7 comments Check the scientific facts about weight loss at

http://yang-sheng.com/?p=10824

See if the book is hype and written for profit.

Learn abut exercise and health - see

https://www.facebook.com/healthyexerc...

message 17: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Fear | 2 comments I just finished Fat Loss Happens On Monday, Smart People Don't Diet, and the Lean Muscle Diet all this week (I've had the flu). All three were good in different ways, but definitely for different audiences/desires.

message 18: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments I just finished reading Nutrition & Physical Degeneration by Dr Weston Price. Do yourself a favor & read it.
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration is a must read for anyone interested in health, nutrition and fitness. Dr Weston Price, a Cleveland based Dentist, traveled the world to find the answers to his nutrition questions. He studied healthy cultures to discovered what they did differently than unhealthy cultures. His findings are described in detail in this fantastic book.

The most remarkable aspect of this book is how it has stood the test of time (It was originally published in 1939). The information is as relevant today as it was when Dr Price performed his research. The information is strong, well written and insightful.

Dr Price deserves praise for his research and his findings. His book provides information that should be regarded as fundamental building truths concerning the positive effect of proper nutrition. I highly recommended this book. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would.

message 19: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments Next I'm going to read Curing the Incurable by Jacque C. Rigg. I read it several years ago but what to read it again. Ms Rigg tells the story of how she used proper nutrition to combat Multiple Sclerosis and get back on the golf course

message 20: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments I finished reading Curing the Incurable by Jacque C. Rigg'
I highly recommend this book. The author explains how she combats Multiple Sclerosis and gets back onto the golf course by implementing nutritional strategies that work for her. Jacque C. Rigg writes honestly and courageously. The points she makes are powerful and inspiring. Please read this book if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with MS. The information may help you improve your life and your health.

message 21: by Donald (new)

Donald Ozello | 11 comments I completed reading "Secrets of an over 50 Former Fat Man" by Scott Deuty. Great book, I recommend this book for all you have weight issues and for anyone who has a family member struggling with weight issues.
"Secrets of an over 50 Former Fat Man" is a detailed and bold first-hand description of how the author lost 59 pounds. Mr Deuty is over the age of 50 and states that he has been heavy most of his adult life. He writes about his first two attempts to lose weight and why they were unsuccessful. More importantly he tells an honest tale of how be used mental and physical techniques that worked for him to successfully get to a healthy weight. He describes his nutritional and fitness strategies.
The book is well-written and easy to follow. Graphs and pictures help to strengthen the text. The wording is powerful and proud, but the pictures tell an even greater story. The transformation is easily viewable.
I highly recommend this book for everyone who has struggled with weight issues but especially for men over the age of 50. Mr Deuty's book "Secrets of an Over 50 Former Fat Man” is informative and inspirational.

message 22: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Fear | 2 comments That's super interesting Donald! Especially since most weight loss books are geared toward women.
I bet it's got a unique viewpoint.