SCAREDY CAT discussion

Just Plain Ol' Creepy Stuff > HOLIDAY HORRORS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Our official creepy holiday Halloween is coming to a close. Now what do we do? The next holiday is Thanksgiving and not exactly a scary occasion, accept of course those weird relatives and two days of indigestion and leftovers. Let's have some ideas of turning Thanksgiving into something spooky. After all we are the Scaredy Cat's.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 4 comments We go to my daughters for Thanksgiving and you just gave me an idea. While the men are off watching football, i'll hang with the girls and casually bring up some unexplained ghost story from Maine (they have lots of them). Knowing my daughter, this will open up hours worth of ghost stories. By the time I leave my daughter will have every light in the house on. lol, yes I can be an evil mother at times.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Very creative Mary, and deliciously deviant. Maybe they will be too scared to eat, and you can make off with most of the leftovers. Don't you love it when a plan comes together. Lol

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 4 comments Perfect Robert, simply perfect. I like the way you think.

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) that sounds fun Mary! Roanoke! that whole story/mystery has always intrigued me!!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Quotes or excerpts from your favorite scary story?

message 7: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I'm going to read A Christmas Carol for the first time this year.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 257 comments I was almost buying A Christmas carol the other day, but then didn't. I would like to read it

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Here's a creepy one. BLACK CHRISTMAS by Lee Hays also made into a movie by the same name.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 257 comments Uh I saw that movie, 2006 version. Didn't know it was a book.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I didn't know it was a book, either. I haven't seen either movie version but I know about them.

message 12: by Angela (last edited Oct 31, 2014 08:12AM) (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments I'm reading a book for review right now that is a Christmasy kind of horror. It's The Dark Servant by Matt Manochio. It's about Krampus, the anti-Santa. Good so far.
The Dark Servant by Matt Manochio

message 13: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 366 comments I haven't read Black Christmas or saw the movie. The Dark Servant sounds good.

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Kellie wrote: "I haven't read Black Christmas or saw the movie. The Dark Servant sounds good."

I started it last night and I'm almost halfway through. Really enjoying it so far :)

message 15: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) Angela wrote: "I'm reading a book for review right now that is a Christmasy kind of horror. It's The Dark Servant by Matt Manochio. It's about Krampus, the anti-Santa. Good so far.
[bookcover:The Dark Servant|233..."

I'm going to read that in December.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Latasha wrote: "Angela wrote: "I'm reading a book for review right now that is a Christmasy kind of horror. It's The Dark Servant by Matt Manochio. It's about Krampus, the anti-Santa. Good so far.
[bookcover:The D..."

Really good!

message 17: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 366 comments Angela wrote: "Kellie wrote: "I haven't read Black Christmas or saw the movie. The Dark Servant sounds good."

I started it last night and I'm almost halfway through. Really enjoying it so far :)"

I have it on my list.

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Holidays
Halloween came and went this year, and so did your eight dollar bags of treats. The little spooks probably froze out in many parts of the country, due to an unexpected cold spell.
I'm not sure that Halloween is considered a real holiday since people don't get off work or out of school, but Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away. Ahhh. Thanksgiving is a time for family and friends, and we'll eat until we pop like a ticks.
They say that the chemical tryptophan in turkey is what makes us so sleepy after eating the holiday feast. I'm sure the beer or glasses of wine has nothing to do with it. My favorite part about the holiday is the next three days of eating leftovers. Dry turkey, rock-hard stuffing, and molded pumpkin pie are...priceless!
After Thanksgiving is over, we can look forward to Christmas. We'll get to indulge in the same type of meal we ate at Thanksgiving, plus we get to re-gift the presents we got last year. If your lucky maybe someone will get you the latest horror novel, even though you can tell it's been read several times already.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Wow Robert, you summed up the holidays exactly! hahaha We're doing things a little differently this year tho. My hubby has to work on Turkey day, so I get to opt out if I want to since my family lives in Dallas Tx. HIS family's idea of turkey day is for me to do ALL of the cooking, they don't show up till dinner is ready, then leave when the meal is over.
Hey, that would be a good thread. What is your holiday nightmare/family story?

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Kathy, who in the heck has to work on turkey day? He must work as a poultry inspector for the USDA. Far as your in-laws give them gift cards to Cracker Barrel right before Thanksgiving. Every Thursday is there turkey and dressing special. Maybe they'll get the hint!

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments I wish! We live in the middle of oilfields which NEVER shut down, and he only has to check on some wells, which take about half the day. Since it's just him and I, if I don't want to cook, we'll go out or just do something small.

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Anyone have any weird Thanksgiving tales to tell? Has your cooking ever made everyone sick? What about those strange relatives, especially that brother-in-law that just got out on parole? Surely you remember that time you felt sorry for that homeless guy and invited him to dinner, only to be robbed by him at gunpoint after he finished eating.

message 23: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 366 comments Actually one year, about 10 years ago, my hubby was making a fryer turkey as well as the one in the oven. He took the turkey out of the fryer and carved it. My cousin's wife and I were sitting on the stoop outside and we saw the neighbors looking up in the sky. So we got up and looked up and here there are 4 turkey hawks circling above and about 2 or 3 on a couple of neighbors roofs. I yelled for my hubby and asked him where the turkey carcass was and he said out in the back yard why? I said look up. He then saw the hawks. He quickly moved the carcass after that.

message 24: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Well his turkey's must have been delicious to draw the other turkey hawks. By the way I have never heard the term turkey hawk. Here we call them turkey buzzards, you learn something new everyday.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Good story Kellie, and I've never heard it like that before either.

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana | 4 comments Just washing the raw bird in the sink and then making it do the turkey dance is a little creepy. My cooking, never made anyone sick, lol. One year we went to my sister in laws and she roasted the turkey in one of those aluminum roasting pans with the gizzard/liver/neck thrown in the bottom of the pan cause she didnt know what to do with them. At least she took them out right! but while roasting the liver permeated the whole turkey smelled/tasted like liver.

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 257 comments We don't have thanksgiving in Italy...I would like to see pics of your cooked turkey :D, so I can eat it virtually

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) My first wife roasted her first turkey on Thanksgiving right after we got married. When I went to carve it the knife would not penetrate it. She had cooked it upside down.

message 29: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Aileen (agm009) | 918 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "My first wife roasted her first turkey on Thanksgiving right after we got married. When I went to carve it the knife would not penetrate it. She had cooked it upside down."

oh no, lol

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Before Thanksgiving slips up on us, I want to thank everyone for joining Scaredy Cats. You have made it a fun group with your stories and comments. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. For our members outside the U.S. that do not celebrate Thanksgiving...uh, we uh... wish you a Happy Thursday!!!

message 31: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Williams | 7 comments I'm in Canada - so we already had our Thanksgiving. I don't eat meat though - so my mom - who lives in a granny flat in the back of the house - made a cheese and onion pie (an English Dish) for me and my daughter - it was delicious! This Thursday while you Americans are feasting on a turkey I'll be having my basement wrapped with an insulating blanket and my windows caulked and attic filled with insulation - trying to stop all the leaky drafts in my 140 year old house! Which isn't haunted ... Darn!

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Oh, I don't know. If your doing some renovations or changes to the house that spirits do not like, they may start to appear. You never know!

message 33: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Williams | 7 comments Robert wrote: "Oh, I don't know. If your doing some renovations or changes to the house that spirits do not like, they may start to appear. You never know!"

mmmmmmm.....I'll keep you posted! lol

message 34: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Robert wrote: "Before Thanksgiving slips up on us, I want to thank everyone for joining Scaredy Cats. You have made it a fun group with your stories and comments. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. For our members o..."
thanks Robert, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I'll be M.I.A. until Friday since tomorrow is my birthday, then the following day Thanksgiving. So, to all my fellow Scaredy Cats... thanks for lifting my spirits and brightening my days with joy. Wishing that you enjoy Thanksgiving with moments that you’ll cherish forever! HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving Aileen.

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 257 comments Happy Thanksgiving to you all. And thanks for the happy thursday :) it will probably suck though

message 37: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 697 comments Mod
Happy Birthday, Aileen! :)

message 38: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Thank you Eric

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments Happy Birthday, Aileen! Hope it was a good one.

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Happy Birthday!!

message 41: by Gmaharriet (new)

Gmaharriet Cheese and onion pie sounds great to me, Yvonne. I do eat meat, but I detest turkey and ham, which are the two meats most often served at Thanksgiving. I'd prefer a prime rib or fried chicken or seafood or even a good medium rare hamburger.

Happy Birthday, Aileen! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

message 42: by Eric, The Crypt Keeper (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 697 comments Mod
Aileen wrote: "Thank you Eric"

De nada! Enjoy your day! :)

message 43: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Stefani  (rhonda72) | 41 comments Happy Birthday Aileen! And a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

message 44: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) It is that time of the year where I am extremely thankful that I no longer work retail.

message 45: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 257 comments Happy birthday Aileen :)

message 46: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 19 comments Happy Thanksgiving all my fellow Scaredy Cats!

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 120 comments Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving (in the US or not) :D

message 48: by Aileen, #1 Scaredy Cat (new)

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. Hope all had a great Thanksgiving, any horror stories? My sister and I always do the wishbone thing but this year one of our wishbone pieces flew up into the air and landed in my aunt's new hairdo. She didn't even notice and we didn't say anything either. Lol would love to be a fly on the wall to see my aunt's face when she finds it.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (littlemissred3) | 804 comments That's funny Aileen. I'll bet she was surprised.

message 50: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (jbthern) Belated Happy Birthday Aileen. Had a quiet Thanksgiving just me and my boyfriend. Love all your posts. Happy shopping.

« previous 1 3