All About Animals discussion

Discuss Other Stuff Here... > Book VS. Movie

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1256 comments Mod
Tell us which book you've read and then you watched the movie created from the book.

What did you like/dislike from either the book or the movie?

What is the comparison between the two?

What was changed that you didn't like from book to movie?

Who played in the movie? Were they your first choice as actors/actresses?

Did the actors/actresses live up to the image in your mind from the book?

Tell us any other book vs. movie thing you'd like to discuss either good or bad that I didn't list here.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 180 comments I've read/watched a LOT of these. The one that really stands out in my mind is "The Horse Whisperer." I read the book first, then watched the movie and was horribly disappointed. I loved the book, especially the ending (I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't read it) but the movie ending was totally different. And I didn't like either of the main characters in the movie (played by Robert Redford and Kristin Scott Thomas). They are not how I pictured them in my head when I was reading the book. I was so disappointed that the movie was so horrible, because I really loved the book.

message 3: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Kim, I never read the book but have watched the movie called: The Horse Whisperer.

message 4: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

I read and watched the movie called, "Eat, Pray, Love".

I didn't like the book so much cause it sounded whiny through out.

I did like the movie better cause I think Julia Roberts did it justice. Had it not been for her I don't think it would have came across so well.

message 5: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I read The Book Thief and it was good but felt so ...dirty. Like a film of grime coating me and it needed washing off.

The film had a clean and soft quality to it despite the events. Although I was quite unhappy that they had changed what was actually said.

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah (pekelady) | 23 comments I watch almost all movies that have come out from the books I read.
I agree that The Horse Whisperer was a bit of a drag compared to the book. I did not enjoy the main characters in the movie at all.

I watched all the movies that went along with the Twilight series. The books were so much fun to read. I read them each in a weekend! The movies however were way to commercial. The first one had the awesome slightly creepy feel but the rest were just silly.

The best book to movie feel for me has to be 1994 version of Black Beauty and 1979's The Black Stallion.

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Hanser | 11 comments Bought the Horse Whisperer but never read it.. It's sitting on my shelf. Now I'll have to read it!

Anything Disney makes a movie of is worse (eg 'The Light in the Forest', commercial and they added sex and romance to it.. Can you believe it? This was Disney!) than the book...

I mostly love when a great movie is made from a great short story: The movie 'Shawshank Redemption' was magnificent, as we know, but different from the short story, which was much more developed and character developed and which I highly recommend... Can never complain about the movie 'To Kill a Mockingbird'... Hitchcock's 'Rebecca' and 'The Birds'/Daphne Demaurier's 'Rebecca' and "The Birds'... Also, "A River Runs Through It'... short story by Norman MacLean...

message 8: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 27, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Jaws is a cleaner cut film than the book, although I wonder what landed on the cutting room floor, as you can sense the tension between Ellen Brody and Hooper across the table.
Love the cinematography in it.

oh yes Jane. Hitchcock was the master.

ps I've found this on Jaws
For the adaptation [to film], Spielberg wanted to stick with the novel's basic concept, while removing Benchley's many subplots. He declared that his favorite part of the book was the shark hunt on the last 120 pages, and told Zanuck when he accepted the job, "I'd like to do the picture if I could change the first two acts and base the first two acts on original screenplay material, and then be very true to the book for the last third."When the producers purchased the rights to his novel, they promised Benchley that he could write the first draft of the screenplay. Overall, he wrote three drafts before the script was turned over to other writers; delivering his final version to Spielberg, he declared, "I'm written out on this, and that's the best I can do."One of his changes was to remove the novel's adulterous affair between Ellen Brody and Matt Hooper, at the suggestion of Spielberg, who feared it would compromise the camaraderie between the men on the Orca. (During the film's production, Benchley agreed to return and play a small onscreen role as a reporter.)

"We started the film without a script, without a cast and without a shark."—actor Richard Dreyfuss on the film's troubled production

why not just read the whole thing, it's all good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 180 comments Barb wrote: "Kim, I never read the book but have watched the movie called: The Horse Whisperer."

The book is by Nicholas Evans. If you decide to read it, warning: the ending is a LOT different than the movie, but I actually thought it was better.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim Hampton | 180 comments I read the book "Call Me Mrs. Miracle" and then watched the movie. There were some major differences but it was still good. I'm a sucker for feel-good holiday movies!

message 11: by Debbie (last edited Oct 27, 2014 10:16AM) (new)

Debbie Zapata I remember watching the mini-series Lonesome Dove when it came out back in the late 80's or so. Read the book Lonesome Dove a few years later, and could see the main characters as the actors in the movie and hear their voices too. I thought both versions were good, and I want to re-read Lonesome Dove soon!

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Zapata Just remembered another "real" movie....it was called Chino, starring Charles Bronson. Based on the book The Valdez Horses. Both are intensely moving.....have the tissues handy!

message 13: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jane...I've seen the movie "Shawshank.." but never read the book. Are they close for movie and book?

message 14: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

How about the mini-series.."Under The Dome". Anyone watching the mini-series by Stephen King? I love trying to make sure I find Stephen King in the movie somewhere. He was sitting at the counter drinking coffee. I think that's cool to put himself in there somewhere.

I read the book too and then forgot the ending. So, I am now on the list for the audio to listen to the book again, at least the ending. Getting it from the library.

message 15: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

I've seen the movie..."Mrs. Miracle" but never read the book. I have read several of Debbie's but I find they are similar and get bored with them.

message 16: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Kim..thanks for the heads up with the book..."the Horse whisperer"

message 17: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jazzy, I've never read any Hitchcock but love watching the movies.

Also, seen most of the "Jaws" movies but never read the book.

message 18: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Jazzy wrote: "I read The Book Thief and it was good but felt so ...dirty. Like a film of grime coating me and it needed washing off.

The film had a clean and soft quality to it despite the events. Although I w..."

I did read the book the "Book Thief". It was our library community read. I also watched the movie. I liked them both.

message 19: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

What about "The Hunger Games"?

I read all three, but felt like the last book was rushed to get it done and over with.

I really like the movies on them too. However, the 3rd book is going to be in two parts. Not sure there is enough content for two movies for the last book.

message 20: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Leah, I read "Black Beauty" when I was in school and also watched the movie. I remember loving both of them.

message 21: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Debbie, I watched a few episodes of "Lonesome Dove" but have never read the book/s.

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 193 comments For me, it is generally that which version I experience first, I like it best. I usually read the book first so I like it best. But I loved The Help in both book and movie form. And To Kill a Mockingbird. And the one about the two dogs and a cat who find their way home. . . Incredible Journey? Maybe we could read that - it took place first in Canada.

message 23: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Skye, I just watched that movie not long ago "Incredible Journey. Good movie.

I also read the book and watched the movie of "The Help" and also enjoyed both.