Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Medicine Walk > WALKING in Eldon's Shoes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
We begin to hear Eldon's story. We see him as a young boy, stepping up to fill his father's shoes. We see admirable qualities in him like loyalty and strength and work ethic. We also see a string of unfortunate life events that start to hammer him down.

Did you begin to feel empathy for him or at least an understanding of the life choices he made? Is there ever justifiable reasons to let your life hit rock bottom?

Did you find it difficult to reconcile the young Eldon to the sickly, pathetic drunk that we meet in the early part of the novel?

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments Still reading, right now I'm in the trenches getting shot at. Explains everything, can't judge; it turns it all around for me. Post traumatic disorder was not recognized or treated (i don't believe) during that time period.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments And the loss of Angie, some people can never recover from that kind of loss. Now that I know Eldon's past, his heartaches, all that was lost to him-- some of it his own darn fault-- I grieve with and for him. So much possibility, so much in the future to hold on to and he let's it go through too many mistakes. Fabulous read.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I did feel some sympathy for Eldon as soon as we start to hear about his childhood. You just look at him in another light. Not that you excuse his current day behaviour but it sure makes things look a little different when you see what experiences he has had. Many people in this world have difficult or even traumatic childhoods and who knows why some people are able to rise above it and others are so dragged down by it.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy W | 12 comments I felt a sort of respect for him knowing that he had struggled and there was some justification for his behavior instead of him just being a bum

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments He's the icon of tragic loss for me right now.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments In novels there is real life, true experiences brought to us with fictional characters. I feel we all need to constantly remind ourselves not to judge other people in the here and now for their life style or actions; we have not lived their life. We have not walked that proverbial mile in their shoes.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Karen wrote: "In novels there is real life, true experiences brought to us with fictional characters. I feel we all need to constantly remind ourselves not to judge other people in the here and now for their lif..."

So true Karen, and I thought that message came through strong and clear in this novel. Hearing Eldon's story really changes the way you feel about him. It's a good thing to remember in everyday life.