Mic Breaks Only discussion

Personae
This topic is about Personae
Posts Gone By > Personae: Fin! (Full Book Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew, Wound Up (last edited Oct 25, 2014 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments Personae: Fin! (Full Book Discussion)

***Open discussion of THE WHOLE BOOK below, no spoilers needed. Be sure you have finished the book before reading any further! Note: if this is your first visit to this topic I recommend you read this post about discussion ideas, then skip down and post your initial response, then read and respond to other people's posts.***

At the very least check in here when you finish and tell us if you enjoyed the novel. I'll post specific discussion ideas below, along with the general topics we've seen repeated throughout the book.

Full Book discussions:

1) Which part/section of the book was your favorite? Why?

2) At what point in the story do you think Dr. Helen Tame died?

3) What unanswered questions do you have after finishing the book?

General Discussions:

1) Share your favorite quote(s) from this section.

2) Share your favorite word(s) used in this section.

3) Do you have a favorite or most intriguing character?

GO!

message 2: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Dec 03, 2014 12:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments Favorite Section
My favorite section of the book was “In Which Painstakingly Restored Aphorisms Are Aired after Dormant Decades.” I felt utterly convinced that I was actually reading an author’s journal. The disjointed entries, inspirational references, and rhetorical questions leant a very authentic feel. I wish the feeling this section evoked would have continued through the rest of the narrative. The elements of incredulity and wonder in my quest for a solution to the mystery became increasingly muddled as I waded through the second half of this book.

I was initially convinced that by reading additional sections I would eventually attain insight and enlightenment about the author or the author’s dying wishes or the suspicious nature of the author’s death or the meaning of life. Alas, my hopes were for naught as I realized the real mystery was a different mystery altogether. I admit I felt somewhat duped as if I agreed to be a participant in one experiment, but the testers changed all of the variables on me as an unwitting reader. I came away feeling less invigorated by the concept and more annoyed and mislead.

My second favorite section was “What’s Left to Echo.” I was quite keen on both obituaries.

Decedent Dr. Helen Tame
I think Dr. Helen Tame succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning upon returning to Antonio Arce’s apartment after speaking to Captain Frank Furillo. I was somewhat confounded by this because I felt that she should have solved the mystery quite expediently and not needed to return to the scene. This led me to the possible conclusion that she returned with suicidal intentions.

Unanswered Questions?!?
What is Dr. Helen Tame’s speciality?

What ability does Dr. Helen Tame possess that allows her to physically hide or show herself to other people in plain sight?

Were the woman and child seen by Dr. Helen Tame at the investigation site apparitions?

What were Dr. Helen Tame’s excerpts supposed to add to the narrative?

Why did Dr. Helen Tame return to the scene after meeting with Captain Frank Furillo?

Did Dr. Helen Tame commit suicide?

Favorite Quotes
“Understand, what we call a person is just a product of their particular genetic stew and how those ingredients are basted and braised by the specific experiential heat burning in its kitchen.”

“Expecting the worst is the armament.”

“I won’t say goodbye because I am definitely returning. Goodbye.”

“Revel in the intensity of a moment like this. Not because intensity is salutary in and of itself but for the way it forecloses the kind of idle rumination regret thrives on.”

“The king always returns, ask any pawn.”

“It was in this sense that Energeias killed Antonio, since someone liberated from Time would be unable to distinguish between a work being written by imminent death and that same work essentially writing the death.”

“How strange how, if you burrow deep enough, all you seem to find is connective interrelation.”

Favorite Words
Histrionic silence, homicidal artifice, privations and penalties, wanton machinations, fungal cloud, atavistic mayhem, epochal conflict, ravaged ersatz corpse, exultant victory, and alienated affections. I will give this book an A+ for an intriguing vocabulary. It was my favorite in a long time in that regard.

Favorite Character
The mouse.