The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Buddy-Reads > 2015 - The Year of Living Dickensously

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Okay, so the title needs work...

For a long time now, I've dreamed of taking a year out of my reading life to read all of Charles Dickens' major works in the order in which he wrote them. A few months ago, I decided that 2015 would be that year, and so far I've stuck to that resolution. I thought I might as well make it all official-like and list it as a mini challenge so that anyone else can join me if they so desire. :)

Here's my tentative schedule -

January - The Pickwick Papers
February - Oliver Twist
March - Nicholas Nickleby
April - The Old Curiosity Shop
May - Barnaby Rudge
June - Martin Chuzzlewit, A Christmas Carol, The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth (the last 3 are short stories/novellas)
July - Dombey and Son, The Battle Of Life, The Haunted Man (the last 2 are short stories/novellas)
August - David Copperfield
September - Bleak House
October - Hard Times (novella), Little Dorrit
November - A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations (two of his shorter novels)
December - Our Mutual Friend, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (unfinished fragment)

I've read all of these before, so it's not as crazy as it looks. Honestly. :P

I'll be reading other books throughout the year, of course, but this will truly be a year of living Dickensously! Who's with me? :D

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4719 comments Mod
Delicious Plan! I've been working on The Dickens Project with Readers Review but I'll definitely stop in and chat with you during the Year of Living Dickensously. And maybe read along for the titles I've missed.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I've read a few myself, but I'd like to try with a few!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 138 comments I hope to read 2 Dickens a year. Don't think I can read all of him in a year, but I will try and do at least 3 reads instead of 2.

message 5: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Yay! I'll be very glad to have the company. :D

message 6: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments @Faye - I would also love to read a few Dickens next year, in fact have been planning to do that. However, won't read all the books.

Is it okay if I join you for

The Old Curiosity Shop
Barnaby Rudge
Martin Chuzzlewit
Dombey and Son - as I haven't read these four or don't remember much about them!

And also will join you for
A Tale of Two Cities - as this is my favourite and I would love to read it again :)

message 7: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Srividya wrote: "@Faye - I would also love to read a few Dickens next year, in fact have been planning to do that. However, won't read all the books.

Is it okay if I join you for "

Absolutely! Yes, those 4 don't get as much attention as his other books, but they're all very good.

A Tale of Two Cities is my favourite, too! :)

message 8: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I'll definitely try to take part in this as much as I can! I really haven't read enough Dickens...

message 9: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett I would like to join you for 2 or 3, Oliver Twist is definitely my favourite

message 10: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
The more the merrier! :)

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Oliver is my fave too, Cristal. :)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 100 comments Wow a Dickens year. Sounds like fun. I would definitely love to try and read all of them but some is better than none. I've read A Tale of Two Cities twice and wouldn't mind reading it again.

message 13: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Pitching for Librivox again! The fabulous Mil Nicholson has been busily recording all the Dickens novels. She hasn't finished all but has done several, and her readings are truly excellent. In my pinion she's better than many professionally done recordings that I've heard, although she does record professionally, as well.

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'll be starting Little Dorrit in January, and I think the Genre Group Read will be A Tale of Two Cities. Are you still planning on The Pickwick Papers, Faye?

2015 is looking very Dickensian already!

message 15: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Yep, I'll be going through them in the order they were written.

message 16: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments I'll try to join you guys in February. Always wanted to read Oliver Twist - perfect opportunity to finally pick it up :D

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Dec 29, 2014 01:20PM) (new)

I almost wish I wasn't already commited for Little Dorrit in January. Pickwick Papers was my first Dickens and such a hoot. I'm sure on reread the adventures are even better. :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll join in for as many as I can. I read A Tale of Two Cities some time ago, and I've always wanted to read more Dickens!

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'm really enjoying Little Dorrit. I wasn't sure what to expect after the misery that was Hard Times. I think I especially like that it's a story I haven't heard anything about, so I'm actually seeing each character and each "clue" for the first time as they're introduced.

How goes it with the Pickwickians?

message 20: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
I'm enjoying Pickwick a lot more on re-read. I wasn't sure what it was all about when I first read it, since I'd read Dickens' heaviest books first and this was more of a collection of silly adventures, but now that I know it's a collection of silly adventures I've felt free to sit back and just enjoy them. I'm also pretty impressed at how he worked in so many random short stories, and how many social issues he explored in those before jumping right back into the silliness. Good way to ease the audience into accepting his later works!

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

How are you doing with your plan, Faye?
I'm thinking about reading Nicholas Nickleby next.

message 22: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Not very well, I'm afraid! I'm still only halfway through Oliver Twist. I've had a lot less time to read so far this year than I thought.

On the bright side, I'm getting tons of writing done. So there's that. :)

Nicholas Nickleby is AWESOME. My dad read it recently - his first Dickens! I was so proud. :D

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Ooo! That's brilliant! Mine is always complaining that he has nothing to read. Which is to say, he's finished the last set of books I gave him and is ready for another batch.