The Stand The Stand question

Horror/Thrillers about GMOs?
D.R. Bartlette D.R. Oct 25, 2014 01:38PM
I've seen plenty of books, movies, and games about humans who have been purposefully genetically modified, or about genetically modified viruses escaping and creating an apocalypse. But are there any books or movies about humans mutating or dying or whatever because of consuming GMO food? It just seems like such a hot topic, but I can't find any examples. Maybe I'm just not searching right...

How has no one here listed Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood?

Season Of The Harvest This is a really good series about GMO's. It's a trilogy and very enjoyable. I was sad to see it end and I'm hoping there will be more.

I know of two, but I haven't read them yet. Dark Seed and A Column of Smoke are the two I have heard about. they are on my to read list. I suggest Blood Music and that is an excellent read. It is not quite GMO, but it is Biotechnology, which is in the same area so to speak.

"No Blade of Grass" by John Christopher comes close. Very scary. It has been reissued as "The Death of Grass" I believe, which may have been the original title. http://www.amazon.com/No-Blade-Grass-...

Can't think of one.

I suppose the problem would be how to transmit the disease from one person to another. The plague or Captain Trips might be passed by contact with another human - sneezing, dirty toilet seats, French kissing...

But how do you build an apocalypse out of dodgy food?

I can see how a zombie bite might turn the bitten into another zombie, but I'm not sure how a dicky burger might infect someone else. Unless we're all already doomed because we've eaten GM bread or something, in which case we might as well bonk each other senseless cos we're already doomed.

This is usually the point where someone quotes a dozen books based on GM foods including several that I should have remembered, But right now, sorry, I coming up blank.

@Nathan: it stands for Genetically modified organisms. Aka "frankenfood."
@Merek: Thank you! I will look that up.
@Will: I've got all that figured out...tainted food served to a LOT of people. The book is about what happens to those people. .. it's not a worldwide apocalypse, just a local nightmare.

I read one called Season of the Harvest by Michal R. Hicks. It's a bit on the sci-if side (maybe a lot). Usually not my cup of tea at all, but it was free on iBooks and I actually enjoyed it. Definitely fits the bill of GMO and radical mutations etc.

J.W. Metcalf I posted the same thing. I didn't notice this reply sorry. I enjoyed the trilogy very much. ...more
Jan 13, 2015 08:47AM · flag

You would be better off to focus on Monoculture. Our reliance on a smaller and smaller number of cultivars of any given crop. This causes the diversity to dwindle, and when a plague(IE: the Irish Potato Famine) finally strikes, civilization sees the food supply collapse.

GMOs causing people to mutate or what have you might be interesting horror I suppose, but I don't think that this is solid science - to me it feels related to the anti-vaxxer movement. Comparable to say the novel Mages and Mazes in response to the Dungeons and Dragons Social Panic of the early 1980s.

To me this seems manipulative, immoral and hysterical.

D.R. Bartlette Err...isn't all horror to some degree manipulitive, immoral, and hysterical? I'm not trying to say this is really happening. I'm writing a *story,* a ...more
Sep 27, 2015 10:10AM

You're going to have to ignore my ignorance on this, but I have no clue what you're talking about. What are GMO foods? /i feel stupid just asking