Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

The Dark Colony (Asteroid Police, #1)
This topic is about The Dark Colony
Book market > Used Book Mystery

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Here's an Amazon puzzle. They're offering my paperback book at the price I set minus a small discount, all good. But there are three vendors offering the book used, at a much higher price. Odd enough, but here's the thing. Nobody's ever bought the paperback, since the dawn of time. If you order a used copy, do these people buy a new one from Amazon, rough it up a little, and then ship it to the customer? I can see how that might be possible, but WHY? What is the business model? And why would anyone buy a used book for more than it costs new? It's a mystery.

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
They might buy from Amazon, or likely they have a seller account with the distributor. They then buy your book and resell it, new, but at a silly markup. I checked a bunch of the 'used' sellers of my one paperback and a few actually say 'used book is brand new, never read.' Must be some sort of a scheme to get people who are browsing for used books.

message 3: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Maybe I should post an ad 'signed copies $50 - guaranteed to have been read in the shower!'

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
There may just be a niche market for that!