Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 25, 2014 01:30PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Thread for the series buddy read of the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson

1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson 2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2) by James Patterson 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3) by James Patterson 4th of July (Women's Murder Club, #4) by James Patterson The 5th Horseman (Women's Murder Club, #5) by James Patterson The 6th Target (Women's Murder Club, #6) by James Patterson 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club, #7) by James Patterson The 8th Confession (Women's Murder Club, #8) by James Patterson The 9th Judgment (Women's Murder Club, #9) by James Patterson 10th Anniversary (Women's Murder Club, #10) by James Patterson 11th Hour (Women's Murder Club, #11) by James Patterson 12th of Never (Women's Murder Club, #12) by James Patterson Unlucky 13 (Women’s Murder Club, #13) by James Patterson

The Women's Murder Club features four members: Lindsay Boxer, a homicide detective for the San Francisco Police Department; Cindy Thomas, a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle; Claire Washburn, the Chief Medical Examiner for San Francisco; and Yuki Castellano, a San Francisco district attorney.

Rules & How to
1. Identify the book you are commenting
2. Comments ALWAYS under spoiler tags

Example of a comment
Little stars are not mandatory, I just like them :o)

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Book:Fool Moon - chapters 1 to 4
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments I am already reading this series and on book 11 so I will be commenting on that one but ALWAYS under spoilers

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments Oh, and the 13th book is already out. Unlucky 13! I would link to it but I'm on mobile

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Oh, and the 13th book is already out. Unlucky 13! I would link to it but I'm on mobile"

Thanks. Added.

-T

message 7: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Nov 14, 2014 10:19PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I'm up to 7th Heaven.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I've just re-read the 1st and although I have read 2-5 I am going to re-read them as well as it has been a while, so I'll start there.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I'll be starting this around the 14th of November, hopefully.

message 10: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 83 comments I ll jump in on the 3rd one if that a ok

message 11: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) I just borrowed 1st to Die. I should start it soon.

message 12: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I just got a copy from the library. I know I've read a couple of these, but I don't think I ever read the first one, and I think I read them out of order. So this should be fun trying to jog the memory bank!

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments Goodness, in for a penny in for a pound...Ive got so many books going for TT3...I'll start with 1...

message 14: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Book:1st to Die - book 1
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Well, I was not expecting it to start this way (view spoiler), but it works.

Story-wise, I like the fact that we see a bit of the killer to get a feel for him, but no enough to figure it all. It may change tough.

message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Book:1st to Die - all the book
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

I am done. Overall I liked it. Enough that the 2nd on will go to my to read shelf. I like the club creation. I will be great when the group "mature". I liked the characters and will gladly go back to them.

My only problem is that I saw the resolution coming before (view spoiler). One surprise was (view spoiler)

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments I agree with your thoughts, Esther. I also knew (view spoiler)

I'm going to join in at 2nd Chance so will get it off my shelf now...

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments I hope no one else forgot about this! I will be starting my book in about an hour

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments I will be starting 11th Hour so I'll put everything under spoilers since most of you are starting at the beginning

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments 11th Hour. Do not read this if you are not to this book or beyond it.

(view spoiler)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments Im not quite finished with re-reading 1st to Die so will wait until I finish completely before commenting...

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Hope everyone is enjoying this one. I have not started yet. I am a few books behind, thanks to work and now being sick. You would think being sick means more reading but no, today I spent most of the day vegged out on the couch napping and now it's almost bedtime.

message 22: by Esther (last edited Nov 15, 2014 07:53PM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) NancyHelen wrote: "I agree with your thoughts, Esther. I also knew [spoilers removed]

I'm going to join in at 2nd Chance so will get it off my shelf now..."

You may be right, NancyHelen but i was mostly expecting (view spoiler) So it surprised me.

I have 2nd Chance in audio downloaded and i shall be starting when i am done with my current audio

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments I'm 140 pages into 11th Hour and I'm really liking it so far! I am really interested and just want to read the rest in one sitting so I can know who the killer is.

How is everyone liking the books that they are reading?

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments James Patterson does it again! By the end of 11th Hour I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't wait to see what was going to happen but also didn't want the book to end. This series is so good. Cant wait to read the next book

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments Sadie wrote: "I hope I can get past The 5th Horseman!"

Yeah I wasn't too thrilled with that but I promise, if you can get passed it, it does get a lot better!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments Sadie wrote: "Beth (Ducky) wrote: "Sadie wrote: "I hope I can get past The 5th Horseman!"

Yeah I wasn't too thrilled with that but I promise, if you can get passed it, it does get a lot better!"

T..."

Yeah it took me a little while to read it but the rest after that are good!

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments I finished 1st to Die 11.17.2014 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) wrote: "I finished 1st to Die 11.17.2014 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) wrote: "I finished 1st to Die 11.17.2014 [spoilers removed]"

I'm scared to read 1st to Die again because (view spoiler)

message 30: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) Book: 2nd Chance,

I feel like i just started this book. We are barely getting into the story... I just looked at my bookmark and i am at 44%. Wow... is it me or the story is taking it slow?

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments Finished 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3) by James Patterson (view spoiler)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments 4th of July (Women's Murder Club, #4) by James Patterson (view spoiler)

message 33: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) Book: 2nd Chance
Up to chapter 72.
I am listening so i may have miss it, do we know how much time as pas between book 1&2?

Well, what a day (view spoiler)

About the killer (view spoiler)

message 34: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Just started 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson today....listening on Audio Book so it's interesting to hear the narrator try to do different voices! I'm still getting used to audio books!

I read this book originally probably about 12+ years ago (seems like maybe when it first came out or shortly thereafter) and it's amazing how much you can forget...it mostly seems like a new book (maybe because of the number of books I've read since then!).

A few things making me snicker as I read them...

Clair - "I'm in shape....round is a shape!" (That's how I feel some days!)

"He'd given me his beeper the first day we hooked up"....so interesting to see how much technology has changed in 15 years! Who uses beepers now??!

The French Laundry - a friend of mine just went to this restraunt a few weeks back. His bill for two people was over $1500+ USD!!! (view spoiler) I guess that's one of those places you only eat at once in a lifetime at that price (definitely not worth it to me!!)

message 35: by Apoorv (last edited Nov 30, 2014 07:41AM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1070 comments Started 1st to Die and this book has already started to breed on me. As the story is progressing, the characters are seeming more real and they are sucking me in with the happenings of the tale.

Chapters 1 - 40

(view spoiler)

Chapters 41 - 85

(view spoiler)

Freak ! I am ecstatic that I read this book.
Absolute thrill.. loved it till the last page.

I normally am very frugal in giving away 5 stars to a book.. this one steals those from me.

James Patterson ! You beauty ! :)

Finished : 30Nov2014
Rating : ★★★★.5 (and I will give the last 1/2★ for making me want to read the next one in series)

message 36: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) I listen to them in audio, Apoorv, do i did not really notice the structure, but there are a lot of chapter. You are right, i tworks....

message 37: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) 2nd Chance, whole book

Well, i like it better that the other. The fact that the characters did not need to be introduced helped.

(view spoiler)

I will continue the series soon.

message 38: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1070 comments 1st to Die is getting crazier.

Chapters 41 - 85

(view spoiler)

Oh, my ! I have to reiterate, had these short chapters not been there, this book would have been really long and maybe not as appealing. So much happening around, its just James Patterson's amazing writing style that keeps it fresh even after some 300+ pages (and going on to hit 462).

message 39: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments I started 1st to Die over yesterday on the reading...since I didn't finish it last month, I needed a re-start for another challenge to read during the period!

I hadn't noticed the short chapters so much before you mentioned it, Apoorv, but now it stands out! Since I'm doing the audio version, now I hear every time she announces "Chapter XX". Thanks a lot!! :-)

I agree with the various names they came up with for their women's group! (view spoiler)

I've just started doing audio books, and this one is working for me. I'm especially liking the different accents/voices the narrator is doing. (view spoiler)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments Is anyone reading The 5th Horseman (Women's Murder Club, #5) by James Patterson ?

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments (view spoiler)

message 42: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Finally finished 1st to Die...once I got to the end, it all came back to me! Since I'd read the book several years ago, I didn't think much seemed familiar until the end!

(view spoiler)

Overall, I liked it...I like how you can read a book and not remember big chunks...kind of like it's a brand new book! I do plan to read 2nd Chance soon...need to see where I can work it in to some other challenges!

message 43: by Marla (new)

Marla | 1667 comments I've read the first 3 books years ago. I started listening to 1st to Die today to refresh my memory, but I think I'm going to go back and read a dead tree book, because I really like the characters.

So...I'll be back after I've read more.

message 44: by Marla (last edited Dec 23, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Marla | 1667 comments 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson

I didn't realize I was listening to the abridged version of the audiobook. The normal book has more to it and I like it better. I'm glad that I switched.

@Tara Jo - I read this when there were only 2 books out and then I read the 1st and 2nd again when I read the 3rd. But I don't remember it and I love the girls and their club.

To this day I quote Clair too, "I'm in shape....round is a shape!" I'm not round, but I LOVE that.

I don't usually like reporters, but I will make an exception for Cindy Thomas (& Chelsea Cain's Susan in the Gretchen Lowell series).

message 45: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments @Marla - I love that quote! I am a little round, so I use that on occasion!!!

message 46: by Marla (last edited Dec 23, 2014 06:53PM) (new)

Marla | 1667 comments 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson

Book One - David & Melanie - (view spoiler)
Book Two - The Women's Murder Club - (view spoiler)
Book Three - Red Beard - (view spoiler)
Book Four - The Whole Truth - (view spoiler)

message 47: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments I will be starting book two after the first of the year!

message 48: by Marla (new)

Marla | 1667 comments #2 is third on my holding list, so next week?

message 49: by Jen (last edited Jan 06, 2015 08:48AM) (new)

Jen Sabo | 487 comments I just started with this series. I've finished the 1st book.

1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson

Here is my review. I would love to hear if anyone agreed or disagreed with my thoughts! (:

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 1259 comments Jennifer wrote: "I just started with this series. I've finished the 1st book.

1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson

Here is my review. I would love to hear if anyone agreed or disagreed with my thoughts! (:

1st to Die,..."

I agree, Jennifer! I wasn't sure what the purpose of that for Lindsey was...just didn't seem to add too much to the storyline (or at least not enough to make it meaningful). If it had dragged on for a few books, and maybe served a purpose, them perhaps...but I agree.

« previous 1