Swan Song
This topic is about Swan Song
Group Read Discussions > Swan Song October-November 2014 Read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou (loupendergrast) | 172 comments Mod
A great tale that needs revisiting.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments I have to admit, this one struck a stronger chord in me than King's THE STAND.....

message 3: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou (loupendergrast) | 172 comments Mod
Yes great tale and with today's Ebola headlines one worth rereading.
I may try myself to read The Stand next month I love them both.

Chad Lorion (goodreadscomcmichaellorion) Great. I just started Dan Simmons's Carrion Comfort, an 800+ page monster. Now I'll be reading two 800+ pages monsters! Yikes!!! Ah, oh well. A small price to pay for reading great books.

Jennicem | 30 comments I just read this in June. I'll just comment along. Still pretty fresh.

Jennicem | 30 comments So has anyone started reading Swan Song yet? Any comments on how it started? I struggled with the military/political jargon. I remember wanting to skip it but decided to "soldier on"... I'm glad I was patient. The character building with Sister was what changed it all for me. By then I was in that world with them.

message 7: by E. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E. I read Swan Song on recommendation from other groups. I enjoyed the book overall, but was really taken with character development and the writing itself. It was my first McCammon novel, and was quite a monster. It lead me to A Boy's Life which immediately became an all-time favorite. I've picked up a couple other McCammon books and they haven't had the pull that the first two did.
Anyone recommend a particular book of his that can rate as high as those two?

lol is anyone still following this group? It's been almost a month since I've seen any posts here

Ronnie Wimberly (Ronnie_PW) | 1 comments E. wrote: "I read Swan Song on recommendation from other groups. I enjoyed the book overall, but was really taken with character development and the writing itself. It was my first McCammon novel, and was qui..."

My favorite McCammon book is The Wolf's Hour! I never thought I would like a book about a werewolf, but it was damn good! One of my all-time favorites!

Jennicem | 30 comments Agreeing with Ronnie. Wolf's Hour is awesome. Michael is one of my all time favorite characters.

message 10: by Lavonne (new)

Lavonne | 9 comments E. wrote: "I read Swan Song on recommendation from other groups. I enjoyed the book overall, but was really taken with character development and the writing itself. It was my first McCammon novel, and was qui..."

Matthew Corbett series is awesome! I also love Usher's Passing.

Carolann | 2 comments Lavonne wrote: "E. wrote: "I read Swan Song on recommendation from other groups. I enjoyed the book overall, but was really taken with character development and the writing itself. It was my first McCammon novel, ..."

I just finished Swan Song last week and loved it. Most of the criticisms are related to comparisons with "The Stand" which I never read. I only discovered Robert McCammon a few months ago when I read "Boys Life". He's a wonderful storyteller and I would recommend that book highly. It's much different than Swan Song but engrossing nevertheless.

Jennicem | 30 comments What I loved so much about Swan Song was the believable complexities of all the characters.

Also the rebirth motif was done beautifully. For the good AND for the evil.

Carolann | 2 comments Dany wrote: "Boys Life made my Top 10 list of favorite books ever.
I read The Stand and enjoyed it but I preferred Swan Song. I suggest Speaks the Nightbird as your next McCammon read if you have not read it ye..."

Thanks for the suggestion. I also heard Wolfs Hour was a good one. I don't like reading the same author/genre back to back so I'll put these on the back burner for a few weeks/months.