The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Was I the only who didn't like the movie?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) When I saw it I was really disappointed. The effects were really cool but to me it seemed like if you haven't read the book that it would be really confusing. The way Katniss was played, she seemed more timid than the badass she is in the book. Also, the movie lost the whole struggle between her and Peeta where they're trying to figure if the other's feelings are real or not.

What did you guys think?

Amelia Brittany wrote: "When I saw it I was really disappointed. The effects were really cool but to me it seemed like if you haven't read the book that it would be really confusing. The way Katniss was played, she seemed..."

I liked Catching fire the movie, but The original movie was not all that amazing. Then again, the books are always better

Kelly Brigid ♡ Brittany wrote: "When I saw it I was really disappointed. The effects were really cool but to me it seemed like if you haven't read the book that it would be really confusing. The way Katniss was played, she seemed..."

I actually saw The Hunger Games movie before I read the book (bad me) and I didn't find it confusing at all. What you have to remember when seeing book-movie adaptions, is that the director is compressing a 375 page book into two hours. No matter how hard they try, some things ,will be left out. In the book it's fine that Katniss and Peeta are stuck in the cave for a week or two, but in the movie, do you really want to see two weeks go by of them just sitting in a cave? It was a smart move by the director to shorten that time.

The Hunger Games could've been better, but it was a very good adaption. Catching Fire was even better.

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) ♪~Kelly~♪ wrote: "Brittany wrote: "When I saw it I was really disappointed. The effects were really cool but to me it seemed like if you haven't read the book that it would be really confusing. The way Katniss was p..."

I know that it's really difficult to make a movie from a book, especially since there will always be book fans that will find something to be unsatisfied. In order to make sure that I don't judge a movie adaptation so harshly, I make sure to stay away from the book before seeing the movie so all of the little changes don't bother me. It wasn't the cave scene that I had a particular problem with. In my opinion, the movie tried to distract the audience from the lack of dialogue, chemistry between the (all of) characters, and ambiguous plot with all of the special effects.

I think where the movie really missed its mark is in capturing Katniss as a character. Jennifer Lawerence's performance comes off stale and awkward. She's supposed to be tough and emotional, instead she comes off scared and timid. Katniss' is a really internal character, so it's incredibly hard to translate that into film but the movie did nothing to make up for that. The audience misses out on why she has never considered being in a romantic relationship, her internal struggle about if Peeta really has feelings with her or is just trying to help himself out during the game. We also miss out her entire inner communication with Haymitch, which in my opinion is extremely important to the plot.

As for Catching Fire, I have heard that it's better but I haven't seen it so I can't judge.

Julia I really detested the Hunger Games. It was awful in my opinion. The book was so much better.
As for Catching Fire, I loved it!
(Sorry I didn't put much explanation, it's just that I agree with all the above statements :P)

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) ∞ Amelia ∞ wrote: "Brittany wrote: "When I saw it I was really disappointed. The effects were really cool but to me it seemed like if you haven't read the book that it would be really confusing. The way Katniss was p..."

Generally, I'd agree with you about books being better than their movie adaptations but I've scene some great adaptions but and I have seen movies that were better than their book. For example, I think that The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is better as a movie than a book.

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) Julia wrote: "I really detested the Hunger Games. It was awful in my opinion. The book was so much better.
As for Catching Fire, I loved it!
(Sorry I didn't put much explanation, it's just that I agree with all ..."

I was really shocked by how much I didn't like it. I felt like the movie didn't capture the spirit of the book at all.

๓คץค- I really like the movie, but if i hadn't read the book, i would've been lost during the whole movie, so yeah, i agree, its only a good movie if you've read and understood the book.

Ella I think Catching Fire was really good, the film and book, but I was really disappointed with the first film.

Ma- Nogoy aka Mimi I loved the movie!!! It was so sad when Rue died. But, It was a bit boring at some parts. I can't wait to see Mocking Jay Part 1

Sorrel I didn't like it all that much either. I think without listening in to the "inner monologue" of Katniss, she just seems a little bit flat and cold and boring. Strong to the point of alienating people. You don't get any of her softer, more understandable, tiny bit more vulnerable side.

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) Sorrel wrote: "I didn't like it all that much either. I think without listening in to the "inner monologue" of Katniss, she just seems a little bit flat and cold and boring. Strong to the point of alienating peop..."

EXACTLY! That's exactly how I felt.

Aurora The books are better 9.5/10 times than the movie. I honestly liked this movie, but I liked in the book when she got the mockingjay pin from the mayors daughter.

Rewas I agree with you, the movie was so confusing! The book was so much better!

message 15: by Iris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris The movie got rid of all of the little things that made you love the book. The little things with Peeta. The little things she thought and had to do to survive. The movie had a way different feel than the book.

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles) Iris wrote: "The movie got rid of all of the little things that made you love the book. The little things with Peeta. The little things she thought and had to do to survive. The movie had a way different feel t..."

Exactly. I agree with everything you said. The movie made Katniss one-dimensional.

message 17: by A.J. (last edited Jan 05, 2015 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.J. I think the first book was way better than the movie but the second book was pretty close to the movie. And I liked the mockingjay part 1 way better than the book the mockingjay.