Books on the Nightstand discussion

Postal Book Clubs > Postal Group C - FULL

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tracy (last edited Oct 25, 2014 06:17AM) (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Ányone interested that isn't already in one? I'd love to do this :)

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments Me too! Please add me to this group!

Jessica from NH!

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen What are you looking to read? I am on the fence about these but interested in hearing some more?

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Hey Kristen,
I'm mostly open to trying anything, but I'm worried about ending up with heavy fantasy or poetry books. The group is ours so we can shape it however we like.

A few of my favorites are:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
The Stand by Stephen King

I also enjoy romance(mostly paranormal) and non-fiction. Occasionally I'll read YA too. I just read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn and I LOVED it.

All that to say, I'm open to just about anything. I understand being on the fence though. What are you looking to read? Maybe we'll be on the same page and it will be awesome. Maybe we won't be and it will be even more awesome. LOL. Anyway, hope all of that helps. :)

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Jessica, thanks for joining! I was so worried I got on board too late.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hey Tracy! I also loved This Is Where I Leave You. I am game for this. I like your enthusiasm!

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments I just went on your book list and we share a lot of the same book likes. We're gonna be peas and carrots. I'm sure of it. :)

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments Tracy wrote: "Jessica, thanks for joining! I was so worried I got on board too late."

I was too b/c there weren't a lot of responses. Glad to see you're not too into poetry books, that's not my favorite type of read either. I'm open to anything as well. Hopefully we'll get a few more ppl and get this started.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments I am interested in joining your group.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments I am interested in joining your group.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Welcome, Jill :)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments I'm excited. Such a great idea!

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bellwoar | 5 comments I am interested in joining in.

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Yaye! Okay, so there's 5 now. I would like at least one more person to join, but the first send out is supposed to happen this week. Is everyone cool with starting this week without a 6th person? Is it too soon for the October send out? Let me know your thoughts.

Also, if all of you are open to it, I think we should friend each other so that we have access to our goodreads lists. This way we can avoid sending on a book that one of us has already read.

I'm excited and can't wait to get started!

message 15: by Tracy (last edited Oct 26, 2014 07:31PM) (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments I just noticed that another group has swiched around the start date, so we could too. Let me know what works best for you.

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bellwoar | 5 comments What would we switch the start date to? I'd be fine with switching it since I haven't finished any books on paper lately, but I could always buy a copy of a book I've listened to. It might take me a few days to sort that out though. I live in a small town without a bookstore.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments I'm fine either way.

message 18: by Tracy (last edited Oct 26, 2014 08:07PM) (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments How about November 30th? That keeps the date at month end, but gives us a little over a month to get ready. The schedule would be as follows:

November 30th, 2014
January 30th, 2015
March 30th, 2015
May 30th, 2015
July 30th, 2015
September 30th, 2013

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments Sounds great!

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments So the start date will be November 30th? Who's sending out the first book? I seem to be a little confused here..sorry.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments That's ok; I've been worried about posting too much so I probably haven't provided enough info. Aside from the change in dates, I think we should stick with the formula Ann originally posted (see her thread on postal groups). We're all sending a book out with a notebook on Nov 30th. We're all going to read the same books, just on different months. The book I send on Nov 30 will then get mailed to someone else in the group on January 30th. So by next September, we'll all have read the same books. Ann's post is more thorough and will likely explain better, but I hope that helps.

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I think waiting til November 30th is great, this way it gives us time to sneak in a book before the holidays. So we are each reading a paper book and sending it out? To who? Sorry, even having read the rules I am not clear, as I had thought one person sends a book with a notebook, not everyone?

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 115 comments If the spot is still available, I will give this a try. I have been tempted to do this from the beginning, but was unable to locate the place to sign up. I think November 30th will give us time to work out the details.

message 24: by Tracy (last edited Oct 27, 2014 06:01PM) (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Hi Deborah,
The spot is yours if you want it:)

Kristen,
Yes. We each read a book, jot down our thoughts in the notebook and send both on to the next person. It works like a chain.

Deborah will send her November book to Hannah who will then send her November book to Jessica and so on. The book you send out to me on November 30th will be the one I send to Deborah on January 30th. Your book will always come from Jill and you will always send to me. Does that make sense?

Deborah
Hannah
Jessica
Jill
Kristen
Tracy

That probably made it more confusing. LOL

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Can we pick anything we want?

message 26: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Yeah.

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments How are we exchanging addresses?

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments To get started I would reach out to the people you're sending books to - by email or through here - and then if you're okay with others in the group having your address, include it in your notebook.

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments I don't mind getting eveyone's info and distributing if you're all comfortable with that and would prefer it, so feel free to message me with your info.

What guidelines should we follow? Are there any things we for sure don't want to read? How many pages max? Let me know your thoughts.

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments Also, does it matter if hard back or paperback?

message 31: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments No. You can choose to send either. I'd be careful about sending any first editions or anything too new though. Even if every single one of us is careful, the book you send is going to be handled by the rest of us and the USPS. However, it's your book and ultimately your choice.

message 32: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments We should all discuss our biggest concerns and hopes for doing this'; I want everyone to feel comfortable and excited about it. We don't have to abide by any rules other than the ones we create for ourselves.

I'm signing off for the night as there is a huge bug in my dining room that's freaking me out and my Husband is already asleep. I'm too afraid to kill it on my own so I'm going to bed. LOL

Talk amongst yourselves and help me shape this group :)

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Bellwoar | 5 comments I read just about everything. I am always in the middle of 3 books--something audio, on my kindle, and something from the library, usually a graphic novel.

I really enjoy fiction, and I read on just about any topic I'm interested in. I like sci-fi and fantasy, and I also read YA. I also enjoy some nonfiction, though I read a good deal of it for work.

As for dislikes, well, there's not too much I dislike. I'd even read poetry (though 5 books of poetry would be overkill!) I don't read a lot of romance or mystery, but I'm open to anything.

I would love to hear what others like and dislike. Since I like so much, I want to select something others will like too.

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hannah- I'm similar to you. I have a book, ebook, and kindle book all going right now. I want to read so much and I'm a fairly slow reader so my worry would be not being able to get through a book in time or being slow. Some books leave me wanting to talk about a lot while others I kibda shrug off without much to say. That aid I think this is pretty cool. I have a lot of actual books so I'm having a hard time deciding which to read. Do I want a fluff book? A serious non fiction? I've found lately I don't like the book I think I'll like and like the stuff I don't think so I'm going to try to have an open mind. Maybe that'll be my New Years resolution;)

message 35: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments I'm a slow reader and I too have multiple books going at once.

For the record, I don't hate all poetry. I just have no patience for trying to find meaning in red wheelbarrows or roads not taken.

I enjoy graphic novels. I'm waiting for "Sex Criminals #2" and I recently bought "Fun Home".

I'm listening to "Role Models" by John Waters, reading "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and "Smart Women" by Judy Blume. I started a book months ago that I'm not liking but refuse to quit since I'm too invested. And I just bought two erotic romance novels for my kindle.

I don't offend easily and I like variety.

message 36: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Awesome, this is a good group! Maybe we should keep this going longterm. We seem to have a lot of book interests in common. And I hope you were able to take care of the bug situation.

message 37: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 115 comments I am another one with usually 3 books going at a time - an audio, a kindle book on my phone, and an actual "book" book. It will be fun getting to know everyone in the group and seeing what books we have chosen, and especially how we all feel about them. I am having a hard time deciding what to read and send around, so I am glad we have a little time before starting.

Thanks for getting this together Tracy. I will send you my address in a little while.

Now just to make sure I understand how this is going to work - on November 30 I will send a book to Hannah, along with a notebook where I have recorded my feelings about the book. I will be receiving my book from Tracy, and in January will send that one on to Hannah. We will continue to receive from and send to Hannah. At the end of the year we will get our own book, with notebook with everyone's comments back. Is this correct?

Hannah, when you get a chance please send me your address.

message 38: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 115 comments Have we decided on a page limit? I thought somewhere the suggestion was for 300 page maximum length.

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments I definitely have a variety of interests when it comes to my books so I'm up for anything.

Deborah- I like the idea of setting a page limit just bc that will make it easier to stay on schedule.

Did everyone decide to exchange addresses or just with the people we're mailing with?

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill Newcomer | 8 comments I am open to read anything. That's why I love this idea! I also usually have several books I'm reading at the same time. Can't wait!

message 41: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Deborah, you've got it :) Thanks for sending your address.

The norm on page limits seems to be 300, but we can go under that if there's any concern about it. I don't think we should go over it though. Anything up to 300 pages is fine by me. What does everyone else think about it?

I'm sending out my address to all of you because I don't really mind it being out there. Don't feel pressured to share it with everyone though if you feel uncomfortable doing so. I have a friend who had a crazy man in her past and so now she's very careful about sharing anything. If you give me your address you'll probably get a Holiday card :)

message 42: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Also, can we come up with a name or something for our group? Postal Group C sounds awful.

message 43: by Kristen (new)

Kristen LOL!

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I just sent an invite to anyone that already friended me for a separate group, this way i can look at everyone's shelves easily. Feel free to friend me, or Tracy, if you want to invite the others, that's cool too!

message 45: by Tracy (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:26PM) (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Hey! That's great! You're in my friends list and I just joined. Am I good? I feel like I'm still missing something.. Are we able to move our conversations there too?

message 46: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Should be. I don't have a few people, ill switch over to there.

message 47: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments We don't have to; maybe once everyone is ready to move over there. I like it though. And great name, btw :)

message 48: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments Hey ladies,
Can someone invite Deborah to the new group page? I don't mind talking through here, but I like our page and want to start using it.

Also, what's everyones thought on book page maximum? Let's figure it out soon so we can pick out books :)

Trace

message 49: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 115 comments I have been wondering about the group page - how do I get to it?

message 50: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracynotstacy) | 52 comments A moderator has to invite you. I don't have access to do it because my account didn't have email verification or something. There haven't been any updates or anything, so you haven't missed anything. I'm just eager for all of us to be over there.

« previous 1