What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > novel based on analysis of some family photographs

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Hodgson | 4 comments Trying to remember the title of a book I read in the '70's or '80's. The novel took a small number of family group portraits, and from the details in the photographs, built written portraits of the families, and of the backstories of the people in the photos. There may have been a number in the title, six? Just not sure. What was really special about the book is that it makes you realize how important details can be, and that taking the time to notice those details is really worth it. The book forever changed the way I took at photographs and at the world. Would love to find the title, and find a copy of the book, to see if it's all I remember….

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33225 comments Mod
Is this a contemporary or historical novel for adults?
Are there many photos in the book, like a family album or portrait gallery?
Is it about one family or many generations of the same family?
Where is the family from, their background, big events, etc.?

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments I am thinking about The Pictures of Hollis Woods, but the description doesn't seem to quite match what I remember.

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Hodgson | 4 comments Thanks for the try…I just check out a review of TPoHW, and it's not a match. Each chapter of the book I'm thinking of has a family photograph as a lead-in. Then each chapter finely dissects the image and the relationships between the family members.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33225 comments Mod
A long shot - Granta 37: The Family? This is a literary magazine with photos and short stories about dysfunctional families.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Hodgson | 4 comments What I remember is one book by a single author, not multiple authors.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Hodgson | 4 comments Alas, no. The book focuses on family relationships, rather than on a single individual.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Tom, are you still looking for this or did you find it?