Devon Book Club discussion

The Age of Innocence
This topic is about The Age of Innocence
Archive > The Age of Innocence

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 526 comments I'm about a quarter through The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. It's the first book I've read by her and so far I'm really enjoying it...

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
I read Ethan Frome Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton last year and loved it. Wonderful characterisation and a narrative that held me throughout. If you are enjoying Wharton, I wonder if you would love Sunset Song as much as I did. A Scots Quair Sunset Song, Cloud Howe, Grey Granite by Lewis Grassic Gibbon - set in the Highlands just before WW1. It is the first of a trilogy. One of my top reads in 2013 and a rare recipient of 5 stars from me.

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 526 comments Ian wrote: "I read Ethan FromeEthan Frome by Edith Wharton last year and loved it. Wonderful characterisation and a narrative that held me throughout. If you are enjoying Wharton, I wonder if you would love S..."
I don't know this at all Ian. Thank you, I'll definitely take a look. I see it has some great reviews. Always keen for new recommendations.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
It's rare for me to give 5 stars. Sunset Song left me sitting quietly fir some time after I finished it. I read some of it one memorable day in the Autumn, sat on my own on Exmoor, having a lunch a mile or two off the road. Warm sunshine, near silence - a good place to read a book with wilderness at its heart. Stayed with me.

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 526 comments What a wonderful image! You've sold me. Will definitely check this one out. Actually, you've made me think: I must visit Exmoor again; it's been years. Ridiculous really but isn't Devon a big county? When I visit the moors it's always Dartmoor because it's so much closer. Beautiful though, especially on a sunny day. Quite stunning.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2998 comments Mod
You caught me - a hopeless romantic. We're so lucky. 2 moorland national parks and 2 coastlines. Wonderful Devon.