The Phantom of the Opera The Phantom of the Opera discussion

Who is the best Christine, the best Raoul and the best Phantom? Opinions?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Personally, I'm all for Sierra Boggess as Christine (she's got the looks, acting ability and voice), Ramin Karimloo (looks, acting ability and voice), and Hadley Fraser as Raoul (yes, looks, acting ability and voice). What do you guys think?

Amanda That's exactly what I was going to say. Wonderful choices. Ramin's got the aching voice and the presence that the Phantom needs. Sierra's got the almost...innocence that Christine needs. I guess it's not really innocence, but that's the best I could come up with. And Hadley's got the strength for Raoul, the emotional strength, the vocal strength...Raoul just cannot be wimpy.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy So glad you agree! yeah they're great! And Ramin and Sierra almost made me cry at the end (hehehe), but they do bring a lot of emotion to Phantom, in my opinion.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite Raouls:
Steve Barton
Michael Ball
Hadley Fraser

My favourite Christines:
Anna O'Byrne!!!
Claire Lyon
Claire Moore
Sierra Bogges
Sarah Brightman
Celia Graham
Elizabeth Southard
Rebecca Caine
Lisa Vroman
Luzia Nistler

My favourite Phantoms:
Steve Barton
Peter Karrie
Michael Crawford
Grant Norman
Hugh Panaro
Anthony Warlow
Alexander Goebel
Ernst D. Suttheimer
Colm Wilkinson
Earl Carpenter

But I'd also like to mention these Phantoms: John Owen-Jones, Ian Jon Bourg, Henk Poort, Brad Little, Gary Mauer, Anthony Crivello and Ramin Karimloo.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I do love Anna too, her voice is very powerful and polished. In my opinion, Micheal Ball has a good voice, but not the emotion or acting.
Sarah Brightman sings amazingly, but I prefer Sierra and besides Sarah doesn't really act.
No offense to your opinion intended.

Sarah No one liked the 2004 movie? Because Emmy Rossum was pretty amazing as Christine in that, and Patrick Wilson, however strange looking his appearance was, was a great Raoul. Gerard Butler...not so much, even though he WAS very hot. I've only seen the play once live, and it was an off-Broadway production by a Chicago theatre troupe. I think the actress who played her was Julia Udine, and she was pretty fantastic.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

@Nikita: Everyone has own opinions! And I mainly agree with you ;D

Sarah: Emmy Rossum is a pretty girl and quite a good actress and singer, but she appeared to be a doe-eyed teenage pop singer. She IS (or was in 2004) a doe-eyed teenage pop singer. That's not a bad thing. Not at all. But Christine is a bright, fantastic young opera singer. Emmy has a distinctive, nice voice, but it's not at all operatic, nor is it pure. She sounds a lot older than she is, while she looks even younger than she is. A seventeen year old could play a twentysomething if she looks like at least her age. But Emmy looked fifteen back then. And sounded old, but still unexperienced. Christine has to sound experienced at a young age! While she's ncie for today's pop standart, she would have never been accepted in an opera! Also, Patrick Wilson was a little boring, but a decent Raoul. As for Gerard Butler... seriously. 1. I think he's not hot at all. I see that many women are attracted to him, I think he's boring and rather wannabe-hot. 2. Even if he's hot. That's even worse! Because the Phantom is NOT hot. At least not in a open-shirted, cute (and not at all deformed!) faced, smoky singing way. Also, his singing was horrible, his acting was boring.

I don't hate 2004, but it's one of the weakest productions of all time!

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Chiara, I agree with you completely about the 2004 movie. I do like it, but that's as far as it goes. Emmy was only sixteen when she played Christine so we can't really compare her to Sierra or Sarah, who are all older than she is. However, I'm not completely against her, she came across quite weak but was sweet. And I can't say how right I think you are about Emmy and her portrayal of Christine. We need a strong, fantastic Christine who's believable, and Emmy wasn't.
Patrick was boring as Raoul and his acting was weak, and I hated that long hair, hahaha. Gerald was AWFUL as Phantom; his singing was terrible, and his acting was pathetic. Besides, he WAS NOT hot at all, and I totally agree that the Phantom isn't supposed to be attractive because he's the Phantom! They make him into some outrageous sexual symbol when that's the totally wrong portrayal.
Quite right, Chiara, I didn't hate 2004 but it was one of the weakest productions of Phantom of all time, so I totally agree with you.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not against Emmy, too. I just think she#s wrong as Christine. I thought Patrick was boring, too. Not bad, but boring.

As for Butler... that's my main problem with him. The first thing is that the Phantom is not supposed to be "hot". The next thing is...Gerard Butler seems to appear good looking to most women. But he is not at all attractive. In my opinion, a not handsome, but attactive man is more suitable for the Phantom than a pretty but totally boring boy, like Gerard.

So, I absolutely agree with you, at any point!

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Yes, I agree about Gerald. If he's a handsome guy in 'real life' (outside Phantom), and I don't think he is but anyway, then they shouldn't try keep those looks when he's playing Phantom. Make the guy ugly, as ugly as you can get, and allow him to portray the person he's supposed to portray. He can be hot outside of the movie, but don't keep him hot during the movie. Make him ugly!

What do you think of Sarah Brightman's portrayal of Christine?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Sarah is overrated and underrated at once. of course, she is NOT the best singer or actress in the world, BUT she is NOT as horrible as many people call her. She does have (or rather, had!) a sweet distinctive voice and a great control over it, and her acting isn't that bad. She wanted to play more subtle, but was told to overact, to make it look more Victorian. It isn't her fault, except that she should went her own way. But she had noone to look up to, to model after, so she relied on the director, etc.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Totally agree with you. In my opinion, she doesn't act well but like you said, she had no one to sort of 'learn from', so I guess she did well for then and there.
However, I don't particularly like her voice, it sounds a bit "chalky" to me. Yes, her voice is very strong and all that but she's not the best Christine, certainly not, and when some people rave about her, I'm still not convinced. She has a very distinctive "opera" voice, and I'm not overly fond of that. So I do have great respect for her of course despite the fact I don't really like her.
The irony is, Lloyd Webber wrote the part of Christine in the musical specifically for her, suited to her style, etc.

(But Sierra's better as Christine, in my opinion, hehehe!)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, arah#s voice is not very operatic. Sierra Boggess has a far more operatic voice. Sarah is way more contemporary. But she is still able to sound slightly operatic. Sierra Boggess and Rebecca Caine are in my opinion the most operatic Christines. But Anna O'Byrne is quite operatic too. Anyways, I love all the women I've just mentioned^^ I think Claire Moore (Sarah's original alternate) sounds very much like Sarah, except of higher quality.

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Yeah, I suppose I can see that (or actually hear it!) Sarah's voice is really classified as classical crossover, but she can do contemporary like you said, and even pop. She has a very polished voice, no question about it, and I guess I prefer the more "sweet" voice, like Sierra's, or perhaps even Anna. Sarah sometimes seems too perfect and polished for me, why that's a problem for me I don't know but it just isn't the kind of voice i like.
One of the many things I admire about Sierra is her voice is very clear and bell-like, she is really a beautiful soprano. Her Christine has so much strength, beauty and energy, and lots of emotion. I can't say enough about her, she's just lovely, and in interviews she comes across so normal and down-to-earth.
I haven't really heard much of Rebecca or Claire, but I do like Anna. Anna makes Christine quite innocent, I think.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2014 02:40AM) (new)

Yes, Sierra is indeed a very beautiful soprano.

Still, I don't think Sarah is too polished. In fact, most people consider her too weak/too unexperienced -at least in her time as Christine. Personally, I like her natural voice, back then when she played Christine. Even though she probably was too weak. I still liked it.

I recommend to you to check out Claire Moore and Claire Lyon :)

message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Yep! (sorry I keep mentioning it, I just love her :)

Well I think she's polished, but yes I preferred her back then too. But I certainly don't think her voice is weak, I just don't like it much.

Yes I'm going to do it this afternoon! I'm looking forward to it, and I'll let you know what I think :)

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Chiara, I just listened to Claire Lyon and Claire Moore. Both voices are amazing, but Claire Lyon is MUCH better in my opinion. And Lyon has a much nicer character as she acts Christine, and she's beautiful. But Moore came across as quite a, almost, horrible character (I know that sounds mean), but that's what I felt as I watched her. She's definitely got the voice, but she's hasn't got Christine's innocence, beauty, and warm character, in my opinion. But Lyon would be my second favourite Christine!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I prefer Claire Lyon, too. I still like Claire Moore, though.

message 19: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Ok. The clip I saw of Claire Moore was when she was singing with Micheal Ball, and they put way too much makeup on her which made her more "unattractive" than I already thought she was.
What do you think of Micheal Ball, btw?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I like him a lot! I think Michael is one of the best musical singers who are still active. He is extremely powerful and I love how he puts so much power in his singing without ever screaming. He is also very versatile.

message 21: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Good points. He has a very powerful voice but I really don't like his personality or the way he comes across in Phantom, just saying! Who was Christie when he played Raoul? Was it Sarah? I don't know.

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I'm sorry, but I prefer Ramin as Phantom! Henk has an amazing voice, but Ramin IS the Phantom in my opinion, and Sierra and Hadley will always be the best Christine and Raoul in my opinion.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2014 03:58AM) (new)

Hmm... I like both, Henk and Ramin, but for me neither are the Phantom. Henk is fabulous, but never really got me as much as he could. And Ramin is too young and too fresh in my opinion, even though he IS very strong. While Butler TRIES to be sexy, Karimloo IS sexy. But - even though I prefer real sexy over wannabe-sexy - I don't like that on a Phantom. Don't get me wrong! I REALLY like Ramin! But more like I enjoy watching/listening to him, but he just isn't the Erik for me. While I'm biased towards Steve Barton and he's always my number one ;D and while I absolutely adore Anthony Warlow as a singer/actor in GENERAL, for me the Phantom IS Peter Karrie. But Grant Norman, Hugh Panaro, Michael Crawford and Alexander Goebel are pretty close ^_^

Christine for me is Anna O'Byrne and Raoul is Steve Barton. No doubt.

message 24: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Just realised, Steve Baton was Raoul opposite Sarah and Micheal Crawford in the original Phantom, wasn't he?

And Anna is Christine in "Love Never Dies," the sequel to Phantom.

Anyway, Ramin is very sexy, in my opinion, but they didn't exaggerate that in Phantom and they allowed him to look "ugly", which was right for the Phantom.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, Steve and Michael both played Raoul and Erik, alternating for each other. He also played the Phantom in several American tours.

Yes, Anna played in the DVD of LND.

Yes, I like Ramin, too.

message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Ok thanks!
What makes you like Steve Barton, just wondering?

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2014 08:09AM) (new)

His voice, his style, his acting, his charisma, personality, his tragic, his versatility, EVERYTHING. Do you not like him? I never never heard of anyone who didn't like Steve Barton O.O I mean, he's a legend!

And, of course, as Erik he put all his REAL tragic and sadness in the role, on could hear so much pain in any tune. And as Raoul he was definitely the most compassionate and loving Raoul! He even made me LIKE the role, which is pretty unusual, because I don't like Raoul normally :/

message 28: by K.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K.M. McFarland Definitely Sierra Boggess as Christine and Ramin Karimloo as the phantom. I'm glad to see so many others appreciate their talent and amazing voices.

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Steve's voice is good, but he's a bit boring as Raoul, I think, and doesn't have a strong personality.

Well, I think all of that should go for Ramin, hehehe. He really put tragic into Phantom and made me feel for Phantom for the Phantom first time. He was INCREDIBLE, and he has such an aching wonderful voice.
And Hadley too. Wow! He rocked as Raoul :) His voice was breathtaking, and he really brought Raoul to life. He put so much fire and personality in Raoul that you see he loved Christine, and he acted so well.
That 25th anniversary cast shone, and I actually felt emotionally connected to the three mains. I could feel their struggles and they really were INCREDIBLE.
And Sierra. Well, u know what I think of her! WOW!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

You should check out Steve as the Phantom! Apart from that, I wouldn't call his Raoul boring - it's just that Raoul is a very boring role ^^" At least Steve put some honest love in his role, unlike most Raoul's who just want to own their little Swedish trophy...

Apart from that, you should check out Steve in various roles, there are lots of videos on YT! And he did have a strong personality, even though people might want to argue about the end of his life. Anyways, being bipolar doesn't make one "weak". I think especially his own problems made his performances so very unique and different from all that has ever been. Even though he never could be easy, whatever he sung (no matter how light and funny) it always was sad... :/

message 31: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I just have, he sang "the point of return" beautifully, I admit! He is better as the Phantom I think, but he's very ugly (!) and he definitely suits Phantom better than Raoul.He is a good Phantom.
Btw, I hope you're not including Hadley "as one of those Raouls"! He showed honest love! :)

Yes his voice is sad, but not heartbreaking. Also, his voice wobbles, in my opinion.
Bipolar? I didn't know that.

message 32: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Chiara, who was Raoul when Steve Barton was Phantom?

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2014 02:06AM) (new)

Well, in London it was Michael Crawford (they switched roles) and later... well, he played the Phantom for long time, I think the actors switched.

Ugly? Oooookay, I've never heard anyone say that ;D But that's your opinion, I consider many men "ugly" who are said to look good...^^

His wobbling voice can come from 1. pain, and 2. his weird style he often used as a Phantom.

You should DEFINITELY check out more of him on YT (Tanz der Vampire, The Beauty and the Beast, The Red Shoes, CATS, his solo works, etc.)!!! The part of Munkustrap in CATS used to be very tiny, but it was changed specificially for him, to have more time on stage and it was kept that way. Also, Gillian Lynne originally wanted him as the Phantom in London and did everything to get him there. He is since then considered one of the greatest musical legends.

He was bipolar, had chronical pain (30 knee surgeries!!!) and heart problems. He died at age 47 from a mix of his medications.

Here is by the way a Phantom best of of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twOFG...
The most important part is the end - his Final Lair!

And here is a wonderful clip of him in Tanzsaal, form TdV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMkir...

Don't worry, I like Hadley^^

message 34: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Ok thanks.

Haha well that's what I think ;) And yes, I also usually think guys who everyone thinks are hot are actually ugly!

Poor guy, shame he had a lot of problems.
I'll check out those YouTube links immediately.

message 35: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy The first YouTube clip I've seen already, and the second wow his voice is very good.

message 36: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Chaira, listen to this clip of Hadley, singing "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables," from Les Mes in 2002. It blew my mind! This is definitely one of the times when he's at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQcm...

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Try some other clips as well ;D The second clip was from one of his last performances in the late 90s (he died in 2001...) he was still pretty strong their. You can see that he didn't carry Sarah after he bit her - that's because of his knee, because the Count always carries her.

Yes, that's a really nice clip of Hadley. I like him really much by the way, don't worry ;D I don't think he's very stable. He has agreat natural ability and his voice can have a really unique tune to it, even though he sometimes looses it and then he sounds quite usual, but I think that will settle in a few years. His vocal development isn't yet finished, I think...

message 38: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Ok, maybe. I didn't watch the whole clip, but I saw someone mention it in the comments. You obviously know your stuff about him, hahaha.

I know! Well, he's 34 so maybe hasn't finished vocal development yet, I don't know, but he's just amazing in my opinion and I do think he's stable, :)
(btw, Ramin and Hadley have their own band, Skeytoons. You must check it out, and their songs are beautiful!)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't mean that in a bad way! He is stable! But he is able to put a very unique tone to his singing and that tone, that part of his timbre isn't yet stable. He sten starts to sound normal, usual. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that this not-yet-stable part of his voice makes him very different from other singers and I like that. His singing itself is stable.

The same instability of the unique part of the voice has the female singer Susan McFadden.

message 40: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Oh right, hahaha, good! And I completely agree with you, I do love his voice.
Did you know Ramin also acted as Raoul a while ago? I was surprised when I found that out. He's also so good as Raoul, but better as the Phantom.

Oh ok, I haven't heard of her.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I know, but I don't find that surprising. Many Phantoms first played Raoul :)

I'd like to hear your opinions on Anthony Warlow and Hugh Panaro :) What do you think of them?

message 42: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I think the 25th Anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall was just so perfectly cast, it gave me one of those "It'll never be like this again" moments.

So Sierra Boggess, Ramin Krimloo and Hadley Fraser as Christine, Phantom and Raoul respectively.

I'll always love Michael Crawford's Phantom though.

message 43: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I completely agree with you, Lisa.

message 44: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Chaira, this is what I think of Hugh Panaro. I really like his voice, but I have mixed feelings about his acting. He seems quite an "energetic" Phantom, if that makes sense, and especially mean and cruel as Phantom which is right, I think. But I can't really take his acting seriously, I mean, he makes quite a different and unusual Phantom. So yeah, I really like his voice and I prefer him to Anthony, but I'm not really sure what to make of his acting!
Although Hugh is definitely one of my top Phantoms.

I don't really like Anthony Warlow. His voice is very powerful, but there's no gentleness in it which is needed for some parts in Phantom. It's very hard, and quite dry, if that makes any sense (!). I think his voice is very operatic. But it's very strong and good, I just don't really like it. And his acting is good, although he doesn't look at all what I imagine Phantom to look like, he's quite a big man! So yeah, that's what I think, sorry I'm not really explaining myself that well, but oh anyway.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, Hugh's acting is unusual and surely a matter of taste, but I like that variety of different Phantoms! It would be boring if they all were the same, wouldn't it? I think his acting is like that, because he bases Erik mainly on Kay's novel and also Leroux' original Erik - more childish and and mad. I like that ^_^

I really understand what you mean! I have to mention, that I am a HUGE fan of Anthony Warlow in GENERAL - but, as the Phantom, he is surely one of my favourites but rather low on that list. I prefer him in other roles! That is for the same reason why Ramin isn't that high on my list - both are fantastic singers with beautiful voices. Henkp Poort or Earl Carpenter are also quite like that. And John Owen-Jones! But i prefer the more strange Phantoms, like Peter Karrie, Grant Norman, Hugh Panaro, Michael Crawford, Alexander Goebel... They are - of course - not the most "classic beauties" (vocal wise) but I think they suit the character perfectly, even though I prefer performers other performers as singers in general.

Well, Anthony first played Erik at the age of 28, being the youngest Phantom of all time. And he was a lot thinner back then^^ But he's gotten older and bigger now^^ Well, that's how life goes. Of course, that doesn't suit a "skeleteon-like" figure well ;D

message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Yes it is great they're all different, of course since they're all different people they'll each have their own take on Phantom. And I guess it boils down to people's own tastes, naturally.
Here are my favourite Phantoms and Raouls, I'm still trying to decide about my favourite Christines!

My favourite Phantoms:
1: Ramin Karimloo.
2: Colm Wilkinson.
3: Earl Carpenter.
4: Steve Barton.
5: John Owen-Jones.

My favourite Raouls:
1: Hadley Fraser.
2: Ramin Karimloo.
That's as far as it goes for me!

message 47: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Just realised I made a mistake with my Phantom list! Here is the updated one:
1: Ramin K
2: Colm W
3: Earl C
4: Hugh P
5: Steve B

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I like that list :D

message 49: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy What do you think of Earl Carpenter?

My favourite Christines:
1: Sierra Boggess.
2: Claire Lyon.
3: Katie Knight Adams.
4: Rebecca Caine.
5: Gina Beck.
6: Anna O'Bryne

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

As I've said above in my phavourite list, I like Earl a lot! He is also a sensual Phantom and I like that!

I like your Christine list, btw^^

« previous 1