What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Young Adult - Any Genre

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello,

I am looking for some young adult books to read over the coming summer. I am a fan of Eleanor and Park type of books but I don't want something that has the same old story. If you know of any witty, original young adult books. It would be great if you could suggest them.

Thank you!

message 2: by Line (new)

Line (misslecher) | 6 comments Don't know the one you're referring too, but my favorite YA's are 'Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins, 'The Host' by Stephanie Meyer, 'The Summoning'-series By Kelley Armsteong... They're the ones that pops into mind...

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Sienna, I've moved your request down to Requests: Books in General since that's where it rightly belongs.

I too have no idea what the Eleanor and Park books are. Could you give us an example?

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 25, 2014 08:58PM) (new)

Thank you. There was this book called Eleanor & Park that I really enjoyed. It featured flawed characters that you would not normally read about in regular YA novels. I guess that the theme of those types of books would be telling the story of someone who you don't usually hear. I don't know if that makes sense but I've just had enough of stereotypical characters and plots. Thanks!

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 25, 2014 08:59PM) (new)

Other examples of those types of books that I have enjoyed are:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Every Day

message 6: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 709 comments You might have a look at this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 475 comments Just going with books I can see on the library shelves from where I'm sitting, let me recommend:

The Education of Robert Nifkin by Daniel Pinkwater. My favorite book from one of my favorite authors. Robert is a more or less typical teenager just trying to get by in the absolutely crazy world that is Daniel Pinkwater's remembrance of 1950s Chicago. Very funny, can't recommend it highly enough.

Deadline by Chris Crutcher. A high school senior finds out he has a terminal disease, but instead of undergoing treatment that has a low success rate he decides to just life what little life he has left. Less depressing than you'd think, and very good.

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen. I read it when I figured I should give YA chick-lit a try, and it's pretty good. The main character has been moving all over the place with her father after her parents divorced, and she's been trying out a new persona and a new variation on her name in every new town. This latest move, though, she waits too long to introduce her new identity and has to go back to being herself. Interesting story and good characters.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Maloney (desertrose0601) | 14 comments I absolutely LOVED the trilogy that starts with Anna and the French Kiss. Definitely read them in order. They're basically YA romance stories, with a bit of travel thrown in. Each book is about a girl the other girls know and also builds in as a second (or third) storyline the previous book(s).

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes fits your category, I think.

And, on the Daniel Pinkwater front, might I add Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy From Mars to your list?

message 10: by Sophie (new)

message 11: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 34 comments Hi, I recommend the Flambards trilogy ("Flambards", "Edge of the Cloud", and "Flambards in Summer") by K.M. Peyton. These books were published in the late 1960's-early 1970's, and though they are considered YA, there are some very adult themes and none of the characters are perfect. Bonus: Peyton writes very well (none of the usual grammatical and spelling errors that you find in today's books).

message 12: by Wren (new)

message 13: by Jesse (last edited Dec 02, 2014 01:18PM) (new)

message 14: by Lena (new)

message 15: by Fawn (new)

Fawn | 31 comments You could try the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. It starts out when the MC is 12, but she's about a year older in each book. The characters are sarcastic/witty, and if you like magic and action in stories, you'll probably like this. :)

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Feed was quite an unusual YA book, I thought. Tell the Wolves I'm Home is set in the 1908s and center on a girl who finds out her beloved uncle has AIDS -- it's heartwrenching but very well written and definitely not your usual YA. The Testament of Jessie Lamb is about a young woman in a near-future dystopia where pregnancy often results in a fatal illness; some interesting moral and ethical components. Fly by Night's protag Mosca Mye is wonderful: sharp, feisty, clever, brave, quick-witted, and the book has one of the best animal sidekicks ever in evil-tempered Saracen the goose.

Why Me, the Story of Jenny, Lisa, Bright and Dark, Go Ask Alice, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden and Jennifer feature girls/young women struggling with a serious issue: rape, drug addiction, mental illness, a parent's alcoholism.

If you like YA from before there was such a category (e.g., the 1950s), you might try Jean and Johnny, The New Lucinda, The Horsemasters, or The Sea Gulls Woke Me. All are great books with compelling characters.

message 17: by Juveriyah (new)

Juveriyah (juvyrox) | 14 comments I love the Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White and also the Dust Lands series by Moira Young