Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Gray Mountain
This topic is about Gray Mountain
Group Read Books - archive > Gray Mountain Chapters Final Comments Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments What did you think of the book, feel free to summarize your thoughts covering the entire book. Would you recommend it to others?

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2941 comments In some way, every Grisham is a morality play. Even as we see him manipulating the characters in the book, he is manipulating us as well. His causes are usually good, though I am suspicious by nature of any argument that is too simple or one sided.
At least we (mostly) know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I originally gave this book 5-stars, but have changed it to 4. I loved the book up until the end. It didn't have an ending, it just stopped! Mr. Grisham best do a sequel to this book to wrap up some of these cases or I'm going to be soooooo pissed!

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2941 comments He does leave the door open (if he wants to go through). On the other hand, the continuing nature of the work Sam is doing led to the ending of her driving her life in that direction. Did we ever doubt it?

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments No, as convincing as she was that she wasn't going to stay and wanted to return to NYC, I didn't doubt that she'd find the life in Brady more satisfying than anything waiting for her in NYC. But the loose ends!

- methhead parents who went to jail
- case involving the two dead kids
- case involve the guy who committed suicide
- Jeff -- will he come back?
- who will take over Donovan's building and cases?
- parents -- were we signalled that they might find a way to come together?
- THE BIG CASE. I want to see Sam stick it to the big leaguers and go to the state Supreme Court!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Going through the above list I was reminded of something I forgot. I was surprised at the last minute reveal that Sam so enjoyed her experience in law school where she had to argue an appeal against the mock supreme court. Everything she'd said up to then had us believing that she hated litigation and had no desire to ever be in court. That reveal kind of came out of the blue. It was as if it got thrown in there to give us a reason to believe she would really go after the appeal with gusto after she'd been protesting the whole book.

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments This book had a lot going on, but most of it seemed pretty surface. I didn't get to really know one character more than another. I never understood what made them tick, except for Mattie, she was pretty solid.

I didn't think this was a great book, but I found myself coming back to it frequently to finish it. I guess I was looking for something more...more character development, more romance, deeper explanation of the cases the lawyers were involved in. Still it got 4 stars from me.

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2941 comments Almost funny, I heard this number at a concert in Ninegret shortly before reading Grey Mountain. It seems to be about a part of the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MWq...

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I like the song!

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2941 comments I have to admit to being a Duhks fan.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments I agree with your comments, Liz. Several of us are hoping he writes a sequel to close the loops.

LizH wrote: "I didn't think this was a great book, but I found myself coming back to it frequently to finish it. I guess I was looking for something more...more character development, more romance, deeper explanation of the cases the lawyers were involved in. Still it got 4 stars from me. ..."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments That was beautiful and haunting, Barry. It does seem to be based on the case of the two little boys killed by a boulder from mountain stripping.

Here's another version by a woman named Caroline Herring. The words were a little clearer. In fact the lyrics are written under the video.

http://youtu.be/nPsMAJoDk4w

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2941 comments Very good version. In their intro, the Duhks credit the song to her.

Shomeret | 1364 comments My feeling is that the book was resolved enough for me with Samantha's decision to stay at least for the appeal.

I felt that I could easily imagine how everything would resolve itself and that a sequel would be predictable. It also wouldn't raise any new legal issues for Grisham to sink his teeth into as a writer. So he probably won't do it.

I saw a recent interview with him in which he said that his next book will deal with racial bias in sentencing.

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments During most of the book I kept saying to myself, surely Samantha will stay and continue doing legal work in the coal country. After the job offer from Andy back in NYC, I started to worry that the offer would take her away from the Ryzer case, the Tate's and from the other cases that she so clearly could make a difference on by sticking around.
Upon reflection, in some ways the ending while abrupt leaves us with the hope that the work will continue, that there is a voice for the people who without Samantha would have none; and while I found Grisham's treatment of Samantha a bit superficial, upon reflection the real star of the book, big coal, has a sparring partner, and one who stands a chance at making a difference. I can consider the ending in that regard a successful one.
This wasn't a story about the lawyers, it was a story about the need for lawyers willing to take on the challenges and the threats and the un-winnable cases and try anyway. For that reason, I gave it high marks along with the fact that I could barely put it down.

message 16: by LizH (new) - rated it 4 stars

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Ann, well said, as always :)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I've decided that if this book opens just one person's eyes to an atrocity they didn't know anything about before reading the book, then I'm good with that. Anything that will bring attention to the poisoning of a land, people and way of life is a good thing.

message 18: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments So true Melodie. I hope plenty of people read this book and are enlightened and that some will be able to make a difference, even if it is simply from sharing the details.

Sherry  | 3568 comments Melodie wrote: "I originally gave this book 5-stars, but have changed it to 4. I loved the book up until the end. It didn't have an ending, it just stopped! Mr. Grisham best do a sequel to this book to wrap up som..."

that was my feeling, too, melodie. i was almost at the end and everything was so up in the air that i was really annoyed. the way it ended, he'd better be working on a sequel.
i agree with everyone who said they really didn't like samantha- i didn't either, so i think grisham did a good job writing her character. not sure we were meant to like her until she had her "aha" moment and decided to stay and not leave. still not sure i like her, but at least she showed a more human side at the end of the book

message 20: by Sherry (last edited Dec 05, 2014 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sherry  | 3568 comments Barry wrote: "Almost funny, I heard this number at a concert in Ninegret shortly before reading Grey Mountain. It seems to be about a part of the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MWq..."

pretty timely- do you think that grisham used that bit of reality for that story line?

message 21: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2941 comments He had the interest, and the song got quite a bit of play from quite a few artists, so maybe.

message 22: by Sue (last edited Dec 08, 2014 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 26 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Going through the above list I was reminded of something I forgot. I was surprised at the last minute reveal that Sam so enjoyed her experience in law school where she had to argue an appeal again..."

I agree, I did not believe in Sam's epiphany that she finally discovered that she could really do some good in the town for some very honest people. To me she was always a city girl, 'I'm only here for a year' 'I can't really get involved in this' 'I'm bored of the hugging and kissing' 'I'm fed up with all the dying' etc. I kind of felt the author gave the reader an epiphany that we would like.

message 23: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 26 comments I would have like to see Sam conclude some of the bigger cases e.g. the RiZer case and the case of the slurry leaking into the environment causing many people in families suffering from cancers and making them unable to use the local water supply in any form e.g to drink or wash with. But Sam did state it would take years to bring these cases to court so this would have meant a longer book or perhaps it opens the way for future books.

message 24: by Sue (last edited Dec 09, 2014 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 26 comments Whilst I did not really like Sam I did not hate her either, she did make me smile being the reluctant heroine, with everyone telling the good she could do here and how grateful the ordinary people were so grateful for her for whatever she did for them, she really was unaffected by it all.

I feel that some of the way Sam is, is due to how she has been brought up. Her parents moulded her to be somewhere between spoilt and superficial. I feel that her parents could have kind of instructed on how lucky and privedge she is and they as a family could have got doing some voluntary work for people less fortunate that themselves, but I suppose Sam lesson comes later in life rather than never.

message 25: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Sue: I was also surprised that neither parent encouraged Samantha to stick around and do her full year of service. While I understand a Parent's wanting their daughter to be safe, expecting her to abandon her clients was a superficial response and I thought at the least that her mother would have been more supportive, especially as she worked in government legal counsel.
Sue wrote: "I feel that some of the way Sam is, is due to how she has been brought. Her parents moulded her to be somewhere between spoilt and superficial. "

Donnajo | 3471 comments Wow, after reading the comments and agreeing with what everyone said. it still kind of me left going back and forth between a 4 and 4 1/2 rating. yes I enjoyed the story. yes I think it left alot opened. yes I hope there is a sequel at some point but really the author doesn't do sequels at least I can't remember any of his books that I read. still there is a few out there I haven't.
The song was good and that had me thinking if grishan heard that or knew of the story.
I guess for the most part I was up in the air about how I felt about Sam but ended up liking her in the end. As I said in the past she was like she was I'm sure because of the way she grew up, her parents or even her life in NYC.
Yes I would recommend this book. In the beginning I might have thought it was too much with the history of the coal but the further I got into the book I found it interesting.