Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Gray Mountain
This topic is about Gray Mountain
Group Read Books - archive > Gray Mountain Chapters 25-32 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments For discussion of chapters 25-32; if possible, the first participants to post could add a brief summary to guide the discussion of these chapters please.

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments 25
Sam arrives at work to find the family of the woman for whom she wrote the will. The will cut them out of everything because the mother did not trust her children. After berating Sam for a while, they bring in the mother. Anette shows up to help, and they decide to stall as it appears the mother is being pressured.
They headed to court to oversee the rights of the children whose parents were busted for meth.
Meanwhile, the FBI is raiding Donovan’s office.

Jeff meets with the legal aid team. Mattie wants to talk about the estate. Jeff wants to talk about murder. Sam does not want any part of the estate talk, or talk of Donovan’s cases,. So she leaves. But she is followed and threatened. Jeff then catches up with her and tells her about the trove of stolen documents that probably got Donovan killed, and how he came to have them. Jeff gives Sam a prepaid cell phone so they can talk securely in the future. Jeff trusts Sam and wants her help.

Sam talks to some of Donovan;s clients, tells them the help they were getting no longer exists. The clients are injured and dying. They want to press on. Sam heads abck to town, but is being watched, and watched in a way that she would know it. Sam goes back to the office, where the FBI is looking for Jeff.

Sam reads of snipers attacking Krull mining, this time with more of a vengeance than in the past. She suspects Jeff is involved. Christmas was coming though, and worries were set aside to decorate the offices. The town held a parade that Sam thoroughly enjoyed, and it was capped off with Jeff showing up and inviting her on a hike the next day. They go deep down a river, then get on a Honda 4 wheeler. He was taking her to Grey Mountain. They go to the cabin that Donovan had shown her before, and Jeff admits that Krull has been trying to follow him and find the documents. They hike around a bit, and she decides to spend the night with Jeff in the cabin. They talked and drank wine and kissed wit little urgency, since they had all night. Eventually they started to act like they meant it. Things went well.
They hiked again the next day. Jeff shows Sam the stolen documents that incriminate the mine company and tells her she is the last defense if something happens to him. Jeff explains how she can help,. He needs a real lawyer to deal with this. Then they end the morning the way they ended the previous evening.

The old lady with the will had a stoke while that family was still fighting about what the will should say. The woman was comatose and in bad shape. She died without changing the will.
The coal companies that Donovan had settlement agreements with reneged, figuring that without Donovan, they might do better in court.
Jeff drops by, but this time it is for a conference with the FBI. This is followed by a probate appearance for Donovan’s estate. So far, no evidence of tampering in his plane has been found.
The old lady’s family showed up claiming that she had burned the will, so the land she owned should be theirs. The lawyers agreed- at least until the will showed up in the mail asking them to safe-keep it.

Sam goes back to Manhattan for Christmas with her mother. Jeff shows up in NY and wants to have coffee with her. She wants to have her way with him. Jeff has gotten another lawyer, a friend of Donovan interested in proceeding, and needs her help. Jeff takes her (screaming and kicking) to see the new lawyer.
The lawyer wants Sam’s help with getting the documents to the court without anybody getting killed, or losing the documents. They think Sam’s mother can help,. Due to her high position in the Justice Dept. Sam decides it is time to leave. Sam and Jeff go to dinner, where the only thing more impressive than the food was the price of the food.
Jeff broaches the idea of Sam taking over Donovan’s office and case load.

Jeff starts the new year by getting arrested for trespassing while snooping around. Sam takes her first legal aid case to court on her own, and wins.
She sees Jeff, who was snooping at the airport, trying to get a line on who killed his brother.
Mattie and Sam go to court on a black lung case, and Sam gets her first look at the opposition. It was not pretty.

London, the lawyer that Jeff introduced to Sam, contacts her and asks for help fighting off a motion to dismiss from their potential coal case. She also gets an email from her old boss who is setting up a firm of his own, and wants her for it. He needs an answer quickly. (Grisham is great at setting up moral dilemmas) Jef thinks he has found a smoking gun in his brother’s death.

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments The reps from Casper & Slate were SUCH assholes!! Jeff's "arrest" was anti-climactic when he told Sam about it. I had some reservations about London.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Melodie wrote: "The reps from Casper & Slate were SUCH assholes!! Jeff's "arrest" was anti-climactic when he told Sam about it. I had some reservations about London."

Yes, I agree. He seems a little too slick. Sam and Jeff could really use the help of someone at his level, though. We'll see.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments It's funny that we saw little of Jeff until right before Donovan's death. I therefore am still missing Donovan, even as I see Sam moving on with Jeff. "on" is probably overstating it, there was never much to move on from. Grisham set up that will-they-or-won't-they with Sam and Donovan very nicely.

I found Sam's "no strings or expectations" approach with Jeff interesting. I can see why with Jeff's background he'd want no commitments; not sure how Sam came to her decision about that.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments There are so many cases and threads I want to see come to fruition. I want that Crump family to get smacked down; I want all the coal company cases to get their day in court. Glad that Sam has gotten her first taste of success.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments I don't think I like Samantha? I'm having trouble warming up to her...maybe Grisham isn't developing her character as much as I'm used to, or maybe the aloofness I sometimes feel is his way of portraying a NYC lawyer. At one point she mentions greatly missing Donovan, and I realized I never really felt the connection between the two of them.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Dawn wrote: " At one point she mentions greatly missing Donovan, and I realized I never really felt the connection between the two of them. ..."

She mentions more than once that she feels some attraction to him and avoids certain situations because she fears they could fall into an intimate relationship which would be a disaster. So I kinda took the chemistry for granted. But I know what you mean about not warming up to Samantha. She protested a few too many times about how she wasn't staying, she didn't want to be anywhere near litigation, yada-yada.

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Dawn, I am not warming up to Samantha either. Too self righteous, too bitchy, too high and mighty. I really like Mattie. I also thought it was weird that we didn't hear much about Jeff until Donovan was dead. I think I I liked Donovan better. Jeff seems a little aimless, I am not sure what he does for a living, other than being a renegade.

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Dawn, Carol, Liz: I am not connecting with Samantha either and have just finished this segment with hopes that she will redeem herself and stick around to finish these battles; it certainly seems likely to be a 50/50 split on the odds or less that she will stick.
I am thinking Grisham had a coal story to tell, and a big city law firm / small town legal aid and big rich client / small poor individuals story to tell and tacked on Samantha as the vehicle without letting us engage her story too deeply since she is "just an intern and gone in a few months". I am kind of sick of hearing that. I realize lawyers have to make a living, and find mates and love and happiness in family, but why can't Samantha see that is possible in Brady or somewhere in the area where the coal companies are running roughshod ever everything in their paths?

Dawn wrote: "I don't think I like Samantha? I'm having trouble warming up to her...maybe Grisham isn't developing her character as much as I'm used to, or maybe the aloofness I sometimes feel is his way of portraying a NYC lawyer..."

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments I haven't read a Grisham in awhile and am wondering if this is why. I think that's why I like series so much. It gives the authors time to really develop the characters and us time to grow very attached to them.

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments I know Sam was supposed to be the "main" character, but I never really viewed her as such. The coal companies were the main thing to me. Maybe that's because of my long held opinions on the subject. Also probably why I liked the book more than I think some of you might have.

Shomeret | 1366 comments LizH wrote: "Dawn, I am not warming up to Samantha either. Too self righteous, too bitchy, too high and mighty. I really like Mattie. I also thought it was weird that we didn't hear much about Jeff until Donova..."

My take on Jeff is that he wasn't making a living. He was depending on Donovan to make a living for the both of them. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I understand Samantha because I have known people like her, but I prefer Donovan or even Samantha's father.

It's too late for me to finish the book, but I'm almost finished so I'll do that tomorrow and this will be a December read.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I'm conflicted on this point. I'm not sure what I would choose in her shoes; I definitely love city living and all the resources available to me that I am used to enjoying, and it sounds like Samantha does too. I would hope that if exposed to the difference I could make in people's lives, and the pleasures of small town living, as Samantha is, I'd choose to stay, but I'm not sure. Still, this is something I'd expect of a heroine in a Grisham novel, LOL, and it annoyed me each time she resisted the idea.

Ann wrote: " I am kind of sick of hearing that. I realize lawyers have to make a living, and find mates and love and happiness in family, but why can't Samantha see that is possible in Brady or somewhere in the area where the coal companies are running roughshod ever everything in their paths? ..."

Donnajo | 3491 comments I think I'm on middle ground with Sam. I can see why she is how she is with her background work or family. With Jeff not too sure.
Will see stick around or go back to NYC. I would hope stick around. London I agree with everyone and I don't trust him.

message 16: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments DJ: I'm glad you found time to get back to the book. I think many of us want Sam to stick around and keep working with her clients and helping in the area because we recognize that someone needs to do it, and she seems to be well suited for the role and able to stand up for the fight against the coal companies.