Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Gray Mountain
This topic is about Gray Mountain
Group Read Books - archive > Gray Mountain Chapters 17-24 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments For discussion of chapters 17-24; if possible, the first participants to post could add a brief summary to guide the discussion of these chapters please.

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments 17.
Pizza was another thing missing in rural West Virginia. There was pizza, but not anything resembling the pies of NY.
Sam and Annette talk, Annette warns Sam about Donovan, and his ladykiller ways. Sam decides that Donovan was not someone she wanted to get excessively close to, but in spite of denials, that Annette has.

Sam heads off to a factory to try to save a client’s job. It is a fairly dismal place. She gets an agreement that could get her client rehired, but once again sees how little she knows of everyday law and using the law to protect people.
A new client arrives telling a tale of black lung. Sam learns more here, like of the firm Casper Slate who litigates for the coal companies, and uses endless appeals to prevent even valid judgments from being paid. Sam decided to stay up all night and review the case. Mattie cautions her that she is a visitor and will be returning to NY before long.

Sam heads out and gets authorizations to pursue the black lung case. She learns that Casper Slate knew of the black lung, but buried the files and fought the claims. Sam is outraged and not only want the case, she wants to take on Casper Slate. Mattie tells her she tried, and it is a fight they cannot win.
Sam finally meets Donovan’s younger brother, Jeff. Donovan goes over his closing statement for his trial,, a real work of art. But they are drinking whiskey straight, and that is a bit much for Sam.

Sam enjoyed her new found ability to sleep in, but was getting to where she was slept out. She was learning that she no longer worked by the hour, she worked by the client. She got her homeless clients settled, and worked the will of the old lady who had land, but not much else.
Good news arrives- Donovan won the big case he was working.

Sam goes up in the Cessna again, this time with edgy weather. They were heading to see her father and talk trial law. Donovan is wondering if Sam’s father would finance the lawsuit, since it was very much out of his league. Sam was starting to see the unscrupulous coal companies in one corner, and lawyers who were not much better in the other.

While Donovan celebrated the big victory, he started laying the seeds of the nexst big case, the one Sam brought to him. Black lung. Sam’s fatehr came through with funding for the case. Donovan still wnats her to work for him, now full time, but she is committed to the legal aid. She does find herself attracted to Jeff, Donovan’s brother though.
Donovan, riding on the high of his big verdict, launches 2 more big lawsuits. Several days later, he is found dead.

Maddie is understandably distraught. It was a plane crash. Jeff also was not doing so well. Jeff talks with Sam, says he believes Donovan was killed. He describes Donovan as his hero and his best friend. Jeff confirms they had incriminating documents from one of the big mines. Sam decides she knows too much already. They head off to Maddie’s. Legal Aid was closed forthe day. So was Donovan’s office.

The litigation fund yanked the money. Sam’s father is still interested in pursuing the case.

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments During this part of the book, I decided I like Marshall Kofer even more. What happened to Donovan seemed pretty inevitable. Coal plays way dirty. That's how they got where they are. Busted all the unions and keep the people under their thumb. The people know the mining is poisoning them, but they're in places where other job opportunities are few and far between. Not a good place to be.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I sort of saw Donovan's demise coming... there had to be a way to resolve (dramatically) Sam's attraction to him that could go no further. Plus, something horrible always has to happen in Grisham books before they can turn the corner and start kicking corrupt company a--. And, as Mel said, coal plays way dirty. I'm guessing they aren't done yet.

Still, it was hard to hear. I'd grown fond of the rascal.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Melodie wrote: "During this part of the book, I decided I like Marshall Kofer even more. ..."

Yes, I liked the idea of him teaming up with Donovan to fight the big case, since he can no longer practice law, he can provide the financing. Now I'm wondering who is going to try the cases... they have to be tried, don't they? Surely not Sam, that would be too far fetched.

Maybe she will just outmaneuver them.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments I also liked the idea of Marshall and Donovan. Maybe Marshall will mentor Sam through the litigation?

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I am always surprised when an author kills off a character. Didn't see this one coming.

message 8: by Ann (last edited Nov 28, 2014 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments I felt like the airplane was a hot point that could end up being in a crash but didn't expect Donovan to end up dead; he seemed to be an integral part of the story. Then the idea that it could be something like sabotage crept into my thoughts.
At this point in the story I like that Marshall Kofer is fleshing out as a character, in part I suppose for his financing potential and the way he hit it off with Donovan. It provides a catalyst for encouraging Sam towards "practicing real law". I have been surprised that to this point anyway we didn't get an equal treatment of Karen Kofer, Samantha's Mom, - she seemed to have the potential for advice and outrage over the cases Samantha is exposed to, but is instead very one-dimensional.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Carol: I have wavered back and forth between thinking "of course Samantha will try the cases, especially the black lung case she uncovered herself", and thinking, "oh no, how could she with so little experience and frankly not a lot of confidence".
Somebody needs to that is for sure.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Now I'm wondering who is going to try the cases... they have to be tried, don't they? Surely not Sam, that would be too far fetched."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Ann, I fully expected Donovan to be physically harmed in some way, with his being so reckless, but it's funny that the airplane never occurred to me as the cause, and I certainly never considered his being killed. Like you I felt that he was too integral to the plot.

Ann wrote: "I felt like the airplane was a hot point that could end up being in a crash but didn't expect Donovan to end up dead; he seemed to be an integral part of the story. Then the idea that it could be s..."

Donnajo | 3492 comments Wow I'm on a roll. Up to chapter 27.
Couldn't believe Donovan is gone guess I should have figured something would happen to him. Part of me is still thinking it's not true he faked his death so he can find out stuff. Lol. I was liking the idea of Marshall coming into help did not like him but kind of thinking different of him now. Maybe he will come in and help with the cases.