YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Reading Diversely

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new)

Joi | 125 comments Mod
There has been a lot of talk about people reading diversely and only reading white female authors. I would like to know y'alls personal opinion on this. I would also like to open it up further and ask: Do you only read one particular genre or does that vary as well?

So the questions are:

1. Do you read authors of different races/nationalities/ethnicities?
2. If you do, is it a conscious effort? (Do you force yourself to do it?)
3. Do you think that this issue is a big deal?
4. Do you read a variety of genres?
5. If not, why not?

I hope that these questions can open up the floor for this conversation. I think that it is a very interesting topic.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

1. yes.
2. Not really I look at the book not the author when I choose what to read.
3. I think its a matter of making diversity both in books and otherwise in media,more everyday. I mean 100-200 years ago women "could only" work as secretaries or strippers. Now women work every where, thats how it is. It should be the same with diversity in media.
4. Yes, I like contemporary,historical,paranormal...
5. ...

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi | 125 comments Mod
Oda wrote: "1. yes.
3. I think its a matter of making diversity both in books and otherwise in media,more everyday. I mean 100-200 ye..."

Thanks for responding. How do you think the media and consumers can help find a solution for this problem?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "Oda wrote: "1. yes.
3. I think its a matter of making diversity both in books and otherwise in media,more everyday. I mea..."

I dont know. Maybe review and blogg about diversity more?
I dont think you should read a book just because so and so write it, but if bloggers,media,journalists make diverse authors more accassable. Maybe that will help.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi | 125 comments Mod
Oda wrote: "Joi wrote: "Oda wrote: "1. yes.
3. I think its a matter of making diversity both in books and otherwise in media,more eve..."

I agree. I feel like consumers aren't picking up the books because they aren't being broadcasted like the rest of the authors are. I feel like everyone should have a hand in working out a solution to this problem.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2014 02:18AM) (new)