Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Balefire Dragon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,365 (1365 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:00PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31138 comments Mod
Balefire Dragon

Element:Fire
Mentor:❀Tea❀

Members:
Angel (CO-CAPTAIN)
Joi (CO-CAPTAIN)
Vinny
RachelvlehcaR
Ashley
Andrea
Allison Ann
Rosina
Tory

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Hey everyone!

I'm looking forward to meet you all!

My name is Claire, I live in Belgium. I'm a student, studying modern languages and literature. I love reading YA, urban fantasy, paranormal romance and I recently started reading historical romance set in Scotland (I just love highlanders ^ ^ ). I like to try new genres from time to time too.

How about you?

message 5: by Claire (last edited Nov 16, 2014 01:36AM) (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Shelves:
Rosina : Balefire Dragons
Angel : Balefire Dragons
Allison Ann : TTIII
Joi : Balefire Dragons
Ashley : Balefire Dragons
Vinny : TTC Balefire Dragons
Andrea : Tower Teams Three
RachelvlehcaR : Balefire Dragons
Tory : Tower Team Balfire

Spreadsheet

Books between 100 and 160 pages (100 pages or 25,000 words is the minimum) = 10 points
Books between 161 pages and 450 pages = 20 points
Books between 451 and 600 pages = 50 points
Books between 601 and 750 pages = 70 points
Books between 751 and 900 pages = 90 points
Books over 901 pages = 100 points

For BOM (Book of the Month) discussions
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points
NOTE: We will accept one team member per book per team for writing a days DQs. If, by three days prior to the BOM starting, we don't have enough volunteers to write all DQs, then we will let more than one team member per team write questions. If we have more people than days sign up (prior to 3 days before start date) we will randomise the volunteers to determine those who can write DQs

For NBRC Buddy Reads
Participating in a buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 30 points

message 6: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Oct 25, 2014 04:13AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Hi Angel,

I'm Fire Mod/Mentor.
So if you have any questions I'm here for you and Joi. (Just be easy on me I'm still Mod-in-training. Don't you hear my training wheels squeaking?)

First, my suggestion is have few more spaces reserved just in case. You never know when you'll need them.

I'll start contacting rest of the team later if they don't show up by themselves.

Your sister teams (other Fire teams) are:
Mordor Seekers --> this is where I'm hiding
Fire Drakes

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments thank you Tea :)
I'm sure you'll be a great mod!

I'll reserve some more space then

message 8: by Claire (last edited Dec 13, 2014 01:38AM) (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Find the Dragon’s hoard! A Balefire Dragon game

Dragons are ancient, powerful creatures, feared and admired by all. In addition to being long-lived, powerful, and cunning, dragons also possess an overwhelming greed for treasure, especially gold. Dragons are well known for sleeping on piles of stolen treasure. Our dragon has found an ideal place to hide his treasure. In a maze ! Luckily we were able to find the exact location of his hoard. Hurrah!

Start Date: 12 Dec 2014

Rules:
Our goal is to get to the dragon’s hoard, in the red spot on the map. Choose one of the entry points (North, East, South or West) then read your way to the treasure. (If you’re up to it, you can also read your way out)

To make your way through the maze, you need to make a series of turns. For each turn you need to complete a mission from the provided list. You do not have to read them in order.

!You may use each mission only once!
!No graphic novels and books under 100 pages!

-------------------------------

I got the idea for the Amazing August challenge
Thank you Rachel for helping me put this game together

Exemple:

From the North entry to the hoard:
➜ Left : Read a book that starts with a D for Dragon – Dragonfly in Amber
➜ Left : Read a book from the shelves of a member of another team – Magic Strikes from Kristin's shelves, team Jubilant Chickadees, read on 11 Dec 2014, Rated 5 stars
➜ Right: Read a book from the Best Science Fiction - A Clockwork Orange 25th on the list
➜ Right: Read a book that has been made into a movie - The Fellowship of the Ring

“RIGHT” Missions:
-Read a book that starts with a B for Balefire
-Read a book by a new (to you) author
-Reread a book you loved in the past (you must have given it at least 4 stars)
-Read a book from the shelves of one of your team mate (he/she must have given it at least 3 stars)
-Read a book on an even position in your tbr (#2, #4, #6 …)
-Read a book with something gold on the cover
-Read a book written by a woman
-Read a book whose author's first initial matches your first name initial
-Read a book with more than 500 pages
-Read a book that has been made into a movie (here is a list to help you)
-Read a book from the Best Science Fiction
-Read a book from the Best Steampunk Books
-Read a contemporary fiction
-Read a funny book
-Read a book published in the last 5 years
-Read a Goodreads Choice Award Nominee or Winner
-Write a review to share with your team

“LEFT” Missions:
-Read a book that starts with a D for Dragon
-Read a book by an author you have already read in the past
-Read a previous BOM
-Read a book from the shelves of a member of another team (he/she must have given it at least 3 stars)
-Read a book on an odd position in your tbr (#1, #3, #5 …)
-Read a book with something silver on the cover
-Read a book written by a man
-Read a book whose author's last initial matches your last name initial
-Read a book with less than 500 pages
-Read a book that has been censored (here is a list to help you)
-Read a book from the Best Epic Fantasy
-Read a book from the Best Urban Fantasy
-Read a historical fiction
-Read a scary book
-Read a book published more than a century ago (before 1915)
-Read a book from the worst or the disappointing books list (you might be surprised of the books you’ll find in it!)
-Share a quote from a book you’re reading with your team

message 9: by Claire (last edited Jan 08, 2015 01:25AM) (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments SER

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments VED

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments I think that should do it for the moment ;)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 0 comments Hey there! I'm Teresa, from the Fire Drakes team! I hope you all have a fun time with the Tower Teams!

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Hey Teresa, thank you. I'm sure we will once everyone has checked in :)
Have fun too

message 14: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4360 comments Hey! Have fun

message 15: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments Hi everyone

looking forward to this team challenge. Only person i think i know is Allison Ann. We are on a team challenge for bingo at CCC. Hi everyone else so looking forward to meeting new friends and finding new books.

A bit about myself. I live outside calgary alberta. Love my life. I am married and step mom to 3 and step gramma to 8. I work in accounting and love my job. I read 2 to 3 books a week. I read all kinds of genres but lately have been focusing more on historical sagas, non fiction and urban fantasy.

message 16: by Rosina (last edited Oct 25, 2014 07:11AM) (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments Angel wrote: "Hey everyone!

I'm looking forward to meet you all

My name is Claire, I live in Belgium. I'm a student, studying modern languages and literature. I love reading YA, urban fantasy, paranormal roma..."

Hi Claire

have you read any series by Karen Marie Moning?

i havent read her highlander series but read her The Fever Series and enjoyed it. There are highlanders in it too. Id be interested in reading it again.

message 17: by Claire (last edited Oct 25, 2014 07:55AM) (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Hey Rosina, Welcome to the team !
Never read any but both the highlander and the fever series are on my tbr. Didn't know there were highlanders in The Fever series. Just one more reason to read it !!

message 18: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Oh good, I'm a dragon. I am feeling particularly dragon-y this morning. If I could actually breathe fire, there wouldn't be much left around me right now. If I could breathe fire through the telephone wires, there wouldn't be anything left. Grrr. :)

Hi Rosina, we are following each other. Have you chosen your mystery shelf book yet? Hi Tea (with fancy flowers I couldn't make if I my life depended on it) who I recently met in SS. Love that challenge, wish we weren't done already. Hi every one else who I don't know yet but am looking forward to getting to know. This challenge sounds awesome and fairly low-key. Read, get points. I think I can handle that. :)

I am Allison or Al (Allison Ann makes me feel like I'm in trouble for something). I live in Northwestern Ontario, Canada (CST), in the middle of nowhere. I work in tourism, self-employed, way too many hours but fortunately I can't fire myself for reading at work. Almost all my books come from the library so I read whatever is available - lots of mysteries and non-fiction, not as much fantasy as I would like, fluffy romance when my brain needs a break.

Angel and Joi, thanks for volunteering to be co-captains so we could have a new team. Appreciate it. Looking forward to this challenge. I have to go wash and put away screens now. Have a great day all.

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Hi Allison, welcome to the challenge !

message 20: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments Angel wrote: "Hey Rosina, Welcome to the team !
Never read any but both the highlander and the fever series are on my tbr. Didn't know there were highlanders in The Fever series. Just one more reason to read it !!"

The highlanders make a few appearances not the whole story line but is threaded through the 5 books....if interested maybe we could set a buddy read....Didn't I read somewhere about points for buddy reads?

message 21: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments Allison Ann wrote: "Oh good, I'm a dragon. I am feeling particularly dragon-y this morning. If I could actually breathe fire, there wouldn't be much left around me right now. If I could breathe fire through the tel..."

yup got my book for the mystery shelf going with Naked in Death...there are so many I could read but I really want to get started with this series

message 22: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Heyyy. I'm Joi. I'm from the U.S.A. I don't have a favorite genre but I tend to dislike dystopian. I am looking forward to working with you guys.!

This is my first time co-captaining a challenge ... so take it easy on me please. I am currently working on reading diversely. I'm enjoying it thus far.

I look forward to the fun times ahead.!

message 23: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments OK, stepping in to help you... ☺

Don't forget to create shelf for this challenge and post it here. Angel & Joi you might want to keep those in one thread.

There are also extra points for buddy reading and BOMs (book of month). BR thread is growing. Here is link so check it out in case you find something you're interested in.

Angel & Joi you'll get spreadsheet (when we are done with it) in which you'll keep track of books/pages/points.

message 24: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments Here is a link to my shelf

Balefire Dragon

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments thanks for the tips tea

message 26: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments I've posted the links to the shelves on comment #5

message 27: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments My shelf.

I'll have to check and see if I have access to any of these BOM or BR books.

message 28: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Angel I'll have mine up in a minute.

message 29: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Thanks again Tea

message 31: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments shelve post updated

message 32: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Thanks Angel. Have you decided to take part in any of the buddy reads?

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments I don't know, I've never participated to a buddy read before

message 34: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments It's really fun and can be very motivating.

message 35: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments Hello everyone! I'm new to Tower Teams. I was told about this game in SS Team Challenge and thought it sounded fun...Plus everyone else on my team was signing up:). I have gathered that I need to create a bookshelf, so I will set up a link down below. I'm still a little unsure of all the rules, but I think I will catch on quickly.
I'm from Ohio in the US. I'm an ER nurse and I love to read. I usually only get through a book a week, maybe two. I look forward to starting the game:)

Balefire Dragons

message 36: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Nice to meet you Ashley.

Welcome to Balefire Dragon.!

message 37: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments I signed up for The Gunslinger and The Bell Jar Buddy reads

I am also considering The Map of Time and Whiskey Beach

message 38: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments @Ashley - Welcome to the Team !!!!

@Rosina - That's awesome ! I'm considering buddy reading Cinder

message 39: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments @Rosina...I can't wait for The Bell Jar buddy read. --- I signed up for that one as well.

@Angel...I might sign up for that one as well. I've been meaning to read it for a while now.

message 40: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments I have cinder on audio on my phone. I may just join in on that one too. Going to be a busy couple of next months of reading.

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments I think I'll read The Lies of Locke Lamora, the BOM. It's funny because I bought it last tuesday at a second-hand bookstore for nothing really, not knowing it would be the BOM for november :p

message 42: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments I never noticed the BOM. I have that one to read for another challenge. Timing works out great. Going to be interesting planning out my month of reads.

message 43: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments just downloaded The BOM :)

do we get buddy read credit if we participate in a discussion but read the book before the game started? I loved Cinder! !

message 44: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Ashley wrote: "just downloaded The BOM :)

do we get buddy read credit if we participate in a discussion but read the book before the game started? I loved Cinder! !"

You can start book earlier, but read date needs to be after challenge starts for book to count. Same thing with BR/BOM. As long as you finished book after challenge starts, you'll get points for discussion.

message 45: by Damini (new)

Damini | 63 comments Woohoo, finally got to meet my team! :D

Hello everyone, I'm Vinny from India. This is my first challenge in NBRC and I'm very excited about it! Glad to be a part of the team (I love the name) ^_^
I'm looking forward to read lots of books and discuss those all with you. :)

This is my shelf for the challenge- TTC-Balefire Dragons

message 46: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments Welcome to the Team Vinny !
It's nice to meat you :D

message 47: by Damini (new)

Damini | 63 comments Angel- Thank you! :)

I'll join this month's BOM The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Knife of Never Letting Go.

This is going to be my first BOM reading in NBRC and I'm still a little unsure about how the things work. Can you guys tell me what else can I do to add points for our team apart from joining the discussions?

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3630 comments That's great Vinny! It'll be my first BOM reading too.
To add points you can also write a day's worth of discussion questions, but you'll have to sign up for it 3 days beforehand. (Little reminder: only one person per team can do it) Not really sure how it works. Do you want me to ask the mods?
You can also participate in a buddy read :) Here is the list
I copied the list about the points in comment 5 so that we don't have to always go back to the rule's thread.

message 49: by Allison Ann (last edited Oct 26, 2014 09:50AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Hi Ashley and Vinny!

My library has The Crossing Places, so I'll read that BOM for sure. I'll look into the daily questions too if I'm the only one from this team reading that one.

Looks like I need a bale of string and a map to wade into the Buddy Reads section, so I'll check that out when my brain is working on a bit more sleep than it currently is. :)

I have a couple of bigass books that I still need to read for SRC, so I'm saving those for November for the extra points they will earn us here.

message 50: by ♦Ashley♦ (new)

♦Ashley♦ | 1131 comments Hello:) Welcome to the group!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28