21st Century Literature discussion

Book Chat > What books have made you cry?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I keep a note of all the books that have made me cry:

Loyalty in Death Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
A Long Long WayA Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
An Imperfect Lens: A Novel An Imperfect Lens A Novel by Anne Roiphe by Anne Roiphe
Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan by John Grogan
Katherine Katherine by Anya Seton by Anya Seton
The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak by Markus Zusak
Passion: A Novel of the Romantic Poets Passion A Novel of the Romantic Poets by Jude Morgan by Jude Morgan
The Amber Spyglass The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling
The Indian Clerk The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt by David Leavitt
A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini
Lady Macbeth Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King by Susan Fraser King
The Commoner The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz by John Burnham Schwartz
The Host The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
What was Lost What was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn by Catherine O'Flynn
Breaking Dawn Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
The Art of Racing in the Rain The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein by Garth Stein
Lover Avenged Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward
Small Wars Small Wars by Sadie Jones by Sadie Jones
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson by Helen Simonson
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
Battle Cry Battle Cry by Leon Uris by Leon Uris
Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear by Jacqueline Winspear
How to Be an American Housewife How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway
Reaper Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent
The School of Night The School of Night by Louis Bayard by Louis Bayard
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë by Anne Brontë
Innocent Traitor Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir by Alison Weir
Podkayne of Mars Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein by Robert A. Heinlein
On the Beach On the Beach by Nevil Shute by Nevil Shute
The Ocean at the End of the Lane The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman
The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman by M.L. Stedman
The Dogs of Christmas The Dogs of Christmas by W. Bruce Cameron by W. Bruce Cameron
The Rosie Project The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion by Graeme Simsion
Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz
Jim Henson: The Biography Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones by Brian Jay Jones
The Honor of the Queen The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) by David Weber by David Weber
Survivor In Death Survivor In Death (In Death, #20) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
Suspect Suspect by Robert Crais by Robert Crais

message 3: by Pip (new)

Pip | 102 comments Gosh, Kirsten, that's a lot of tissues!!!

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 114 comments I'm not someone who cries very easily but these two books immediately come to mind. (and they are both on my all time favorite list)

Mrs. Mike I loved loved loved this book as a young girl.

The Yearling OMG!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 197 comments This is my list:

I guess I'll give my tissues to Kirsten. :-)

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yeah, my sister used to complain about how I'd cry for fictional people. (Like when Serena died in the 1980s Battlestar Galactica ... or during Where The Red Fern Grows...)

My list starts from 2008... I'm sure there are other books I've cried during.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 71 comments I couldn't think of a book right off that made me cry, until I read your list and saw "Marley and Me" on there. It immediately reminded me of The Cat Who Went to Paris The Cat Who Went to Paris by Peter Gethers . Loved that little Norton.

Kirsten, now I'll have to go back through my books as no others come immediately to mind. I'm sure there have got to be a couple more, though! But I'm quite impressed by your list. :)

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 71 comments Hmmm...I guess it's been awhile since I read the Norton books (there are three). It might have actually been the last book that made me cry. Now I might need to reread these. The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human The Cat Who'll Live Forever The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human by Peter Gethers

message 9: by Kaitlyn (last edited Oct 24, 2014 10:13PM) (new)

Kaitlyn | 1 comments The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both made me sob like crazy.

message 10: by Raymunda (new)

Raymunda (raymundaj) The Road by Cormac McCarthy left me so devastated that I couldn't stop crying for the following half an hour after finishing the book.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita | 104 comments I haven't a list, either. Another box of tissues for Kirsten. :)

message 12: by B'burg Linda (new)

B'burg Linda | 5 comments I tend to put off reading sad books, so rarely read animal stories; they almost always end with the animal dying. 'Marley' and 'The Art of Racing in the Rain,' were superb, but I would not want to reread them. However, I belong to two f2f book clubs and therefore occasionally find myself crying along with the best of them. Two recent reads that I cried over were 'Sky Burial' and 'The Heretic's Daughter.' Both were excellent reads that I probably would never had read without my book clubs.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It's like on of my favorite eras is WWI. My dad used to laugh at me crying when reading a book set in this era. "It's World War One! It's not supposed to end well!!"

message 14: by Terry (new)

Terry Pearce I can only think of one:

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Unfortunately it was in a tube station on the way to work. I had to take a few moments to recover myself.

message 15: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 14 comments The first time I read Shogun Volume 2 Shogun Volume 2 by James Clavell by James Clavell James Clavell I had to wipe a tear and put down the book for awhile when Mariko dies. As the years pass I seem to be much more sentimental and emotional. In any case I choose to attribute it to maturity.

message 16: by Evisa (new)

Evisa Rami | 8 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns both made me sob like crazy."

Same here!

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:43AM) (new)

A Lesson Before Dying A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines --very moving, very emotional.

A Prayer for Owen Meany A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving --this caused one of the most intense emotional reactions to a book I've ever experienced.

message 18: by Edgarf (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:19AM) (new)

Edgarf | 44 comments I dropped a complete works of Shakespeare on my toe when I was a child and I really wailed. Then it made me cry again as an adult after reading Hamlet for the first time.

Well really it was not the first time I read Hamlet. It was the first time I read Hamlet and thought, "Oh my God, I get it!"

message 19: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2717 comments Mod
I tend to cry a lot more in reaction to movies/tv than books, but there's at least three books that I recall crying at some point while reading them: Night (as it tackles the Holocaust from a survivor's perspective), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (felt like he'd lost his second father), and the third was a Tom Clancy book (maybe Clear and Present Danger--there's this scene where the husband and wife are kind of going through strife, but neither has really done anything wrong and they both still love each other... just seemed like a poignant example of life itself fermenting misunderstanding). That's like one book per each of the past three decades...

I am glad to say I have not brought myself to tears (or injury) like Edgarf, but I have come close to hurting myself with a book falling on my face as I drifted off while reading in bed.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin Even though I was in high school when I read it, I cried at the end of Watership Down. I'm noticing a pattern here; it's like books about animals have an obligatory tear-jerking moment. I don't read dog books for that reason, haha.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 102 comments The one I was most emotionally affected by was Wuthering Heights. That was in high-school. It was interesting: the teacher who assigned it said, "I had to read it. You have to read it." Like it was going to be an awful chore. It turned out to be the book that really gave me a love of the novel.

message 22: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines &
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Not just the endings but while reading them as well. There has been others but these two were like crying uncontrollably.

message 23: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2353 comments I do not have a list but I have cried over some books. In reviewing your list, the one that devastated me was The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. The most recent one that set me off was Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.