Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Chit Chat & All That > What books have made you cry?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I keep a note of all the books that have made me cry:

Loyalty in Death Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
A Long Long WayA Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
An Imperfect Lens: A Novel An Imperfect Lens A Novel by Anne Roiphe by Anne Roiphe
Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan by John Grogan
Katherine Katherine by Anya Seton by Anya Seton
The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak by Markus Zusak
Passion: A Novel of the Romantic Poets Passion A Novel of the Romantic Poets by Jude Morgan by Jude Morgan
The Amber Spyglass The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling
The Indian Clerk The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt by David Leavitt
A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini
Lady Macbeth Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King by Susan Fraser King
The Commoner The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz by John Burnham Schwartz
The Host The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
What was Lost What was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn by Catherine O'Flynn
Breaking Dawn Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
The Art of Racing in the Rain The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein by Garth Stein
Lover Avenged Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward
Small Wars Small Wars by Sadie Jones by Sadie Jones
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson by Helen Simonson
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
Battle Cry Battle Cry by Leon Uris by Leon Uris
Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear by Jacqueline Winspear
How to Be an American Housewife How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway
Reaper Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent
The School of Night The School of Night by Louis Bayard by Louis Bayard
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë by Anne Brontë
Innocent Traitor Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir by Alison Weir
Podkayne of Mars Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein by Robert A. Heinlein
On the Beach On the Beach by Nevil Shute by Nevil Shute
The Ocean at the End of the Lane The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman
The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman by M.L. Stedman
The Dogs of Christmas The Dogs of Christmas by W. Bruce Cameron by W. Bruce Cameron
The Rosie Project The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion by Graeme Simsion
Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz
Jim Henson: The Biography Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones by Brian Jay Jones
The Honor of the Queen The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) by David Weber by David Weber
Survivor In Death Survivor In Death (In Death, #20) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
Suspect Suspect by Robert Crais by Robert Crais

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments @Kirsten

Very impressive list!

I wish that I had thought of keeping a list.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I have separate "shelves" on GoodReads for books that made me cry or made me laugh out loud.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love the 44 Scotland Street series, especially that boy that lives in the building with the crazy mom!

message 5: by siriusedward (last edited Nov 16, 2014 02:22AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments what comes to my mind is...
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks The Wedding (The Notebook, #2) by Nicholas Sparks Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks and that was my last nicholas sparks books... too heartttbreaking....

message 6: by IB (last edited May 31, 2015 06:14PM) (new)

IB (hqmmx) | 75 comments Oh dear, a lot had made me cry. I used to collect a bunch of Harlequins and I remember they used to make me cry. I don't remember their titles, sadly.
These are the ones that made me cry the most, if I can remember.
Emma by Jane Austen The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell Too Far by Rich Shapero Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene To Kill A Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments The story "Pop Art" in 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. It's one of the most beautiful short stories I've ever read. It really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting to find something so sad and touching in a collection of horror stories.

message 9: by Annina (new)

Annina | 121 comments Now that I'm re-reading Harry Potter's and I know what happens and who dies, it's very sad and I have been crying in some parts.

One other which made me cry was The Fault in Our Stars of course, but not as much as the movie did.

message 11: by Philina (new)

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Brasure | 34 comments I remember my first book cry. I wasn't 20 yet, and it was The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
I don't often blubber over books. I cried intermittently for days after finishing a biography of Lincoln. Anyone else cry over non-fiction? Lol.
I cried over The Time Traveller's Wife.
In a brilliant stroke of writing, I found myself laughing out loud while there were still tears in my eyes from a touching section. The book? Wives & Daughters by Gaskell.

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I cry over non-fiction if it's a particularly harrowing story, such as holocaust memoirs, in depth autobiographies, or unjust human rights issues. At the other end of the scale I sometimes get teary over fiction, but I'm not a big fan of modern day love stories and heartbreak that try to pull on your heartstrings.

message 14: by Niles (new)

Niles (professorx2) | 37 comments Ok, I know crying is not supposed to be manly, but I must be honest. I get so involved in a story it's almost like I'm a part of it. Once I was reading before homeroom and the teacher had to tap me because everyone was standing for the pledge of allegiance (I wonder if they still do that?) At any rate, I was home sick for a couple of days and, looking for something to read, picked up my older sister's copy of "Love Story," by Erich Segal. And yes, truth be told, it did make me cry. If any have never read it, I would recommend it. But keep a box of kleenex handy.

message 15: by Trudy (new)

Trudy Brasure | 34 comments Is that the story made into a famous movie and song?
I don't think the repressive cultural belief that tries to dehumanize men is any help at all to society. It's not a gender issue, in my book, it's whether or not you have a human heart. I'd be wary of a man who doesn't ever cry.
I personally find it moving and admirable to know a man has deep feelings.

message 16: by IB (new)

IB (hqmmx) | 75 comments Pink wrote: "I cry over non-fiction if it's a particularly harrowing story, such as holocaust memoirs, in depth autobiographies, or unjust human rights issues. At the other end of the scale I sometimes get tear..."

Not a fan of contemporary romance either, I think it rather cliche for my tastes.

message 17: by Moray (new)

Moray Teale I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane in the park the summer it came out. It made me cry so much a stranger stopped to ask if I was okay!

message 18: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Over the years I know several books have made me cry but at the moment I can only remember for sure The House of the Spirits and Bless Me, Ultima.

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 3 comments Umm... well, being a big burly biker dude, I'll only admit to a few; one in particular that caused me to explain to my cats that I had something in my eye was Mark Helprin's A Soldier of the Great War.

Shhhh... don't tell anyone.

~Eric

message 20: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Tuttle | 7 comments I read Edward's Eyes to my class, and they all cried which made me cry. It was an over the top scene that led to extra recess. I didn't cry in the preview read!

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Eric, I won't tell about the tears, but I might add that book to my tbr :)

Sonya, seeing other people cry is the worst, I think that makes us cry more than the actual event!

message 22: by Eric (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 3 comments Pink wrote: "Eric, I won't tell about the tears, but I might add that book to my tbr :)"

Different strokes, er... books for different folks. You may not even like it, Pink. You can read my review of that book here if you'd like to --> https://noctslackv2.wordpress.com/201...

message 23: by Nina (new)

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Eric, I might not like it, but I do enjoy (if that's the right word) WW1 novels or memoirs and that one gets a lot of good reviews from other friends on here too. I hadn't heard of it before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's on the tbr long list now :)

message 25: by Eric (new)

Eric Layton (vtel57) | 3 comments @Pink... it's a poignant human story. Anyone should like it. :)

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1218 comments Years ago I used to love books that made me cry, but now I hate that. Move me emotionally, make me a little misty or shed a tear or two, great. But make me grossly sob, no - I have enough to deal with in real life, I don't need that kind of stress and manipulation from books too! ;-)

message 27: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I am the same, Christine, except I have never liked books or movies that were designed to make me cry. Of course I can get emotional sometimes but usually it has to be somehow connected to the real world (history). I don't understand reviews that say that the book made them cry 5 times...

message 28: by Marleny (new)

Marleny (marlenyr) | 15 comments I can only recall three books that have ever made me cry.. and by cry, I mean sob. I'm sure there have been more, but these are the only ones I can remember.
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Where the Red Fern Grows
Old Yeller

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat Uncle Tom's Cabin - flat out.

message 30: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Vernon | 9 comments This is going to make me sound stupid but 50 Shades of Pink by K.T. Grant because I just loved Victoria Nox and I felt sorry for her and the way people treated her

message 31: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments For me, which I just finished recently, it was "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman.

message 33: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 85 comments Loretta wrote: "For me, which I just finished recently, it was "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman."

I am absolutely with you on that one! I laughed AND I cried reading "A Man Called Ove"

message 34: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Oh yea, I laughed too because Ove was such a character but I was really surprised when I started to cry! Have you read Fredrik Backman's new book, "my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry"? I've started it.

message 35: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 85 comments Loretta wrote: "Oh yea, I laughed too because Ove was such a character but I was really surprised when I started to cry! Have you read Fredrik Backman's new book, "my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry"..."
ohhh no I haven't, but thanks for the heads up about the new book :)

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat (superkatness) | 163 comments Any book in which animals are hurt or abused. Unfortunately most books don't give any warning that they will contain these types of scenes, and it is the only thing which really upsets me.

message 37: by Payten (new)

Payten | 16 comments Pretty much anytime i read about anyone being abused or hurt in any way. I am a very emotional reader though. I cry often for books. Right now I'm working on A Thousand Splendid Suns and that's definitely making me cry.

message 38: by siriusedward (last edited Feb 15, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling The Looking Glass (The Locket, #2) by Richard Paul Evans A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

Dumbledore and Sirius's death did make me cry.

And
Love Story (Love Story, #1) by Erich Segal is very good Eric.my heart broke.
And so was
Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward and Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward and Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5) by Nalini Singh Shards of Hope (Psy-Changeling, #14) by Nalini Singh

Very emotional.

message 39: by Maarit (last edited Mar 02, 2016 11:47AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I admit that I very rarely cry when I read a book and I can't remember any book right now that has made me cry recently. Sure I get sad/upset while reading but I'm not the crying type for books (or even movies for that fact, though I more often may shed a few tears while watching some of them, but not really cry). I laugh or chuggle at books more often, though, so I'm not emotionaless by any means.

message 40: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1199 comments I only cry when I'm really hormonal, and then I'll cry at anything. :P
I'll laugh out loud, or I'll feel outrage or melancholy, but I don't really cry.
But I did recently shed non-pms tears over The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

The only book that has made me sob is The Plague Dogs. I was about 9 or 10 and dissolved in tears. My mother came to tell me it was bedtime, looked at me, looked at what I was reading, took the book away, told my father off for recommending it to me, and told me I could stay up another half hour to read something nice. I can't remember what I read to ward off nightmares, but to this day I have never picked Plague Dogs back up. I haven't attempted Watership Down either, though I have watched the movie.

message 41: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1847 comments most recently "filled up" while reading Dune, which caught me by surprise as I've read it before and didn't remember any such effect. It was the bit right at the end of the middle section when Paul and Chani "see" their future together - all the more remarkable as a piece of writing because it is not a "standard" falling-in-love type scene, but made strange because of their unusual situation and their prescient abilities which enable them to realise that their best "way ahead" is to cling to/rely on each other.

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinaleetlc) | 15 comments Marley and Me, Kristen Lavransdatter

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Like others here, any dog book, like The Art of Racing in the Rain. Recently, Good Dog. Stay. certainly made me cry, and Brokeback Mountain.

But I have to say the biggest emotional impact I think I ever had from a book was the end of The Age of Innocence. I didn't cry but I literally felt my heart in my throat, and had to set the book down in the middle of that scene and just breathe.

message 44: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments For me it was A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. I thoroughly enjoyed it and although it was sad, in parts, it was quite funny too.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy Eckert | 113 comments I made the mistake of reading Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred Taylor (the sequel to the excellent Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry) to the 7th grade English class I taught without reading it on my own first. We found out the result of what happened to one of the characters early in the book. As I read it, I kept having to stop and take a breath so I wouldn't start crying. I also taught the book of poetry called I Never Saw Another Butterfly, which is a collection of poems written by children who were in a Nazi Concentration Camp. I started crying as we analyzed the poem, since I researched the child who had written one of the poems and knew he didn't live through the end of the Holocaust. Awful. I'm sure Charlottes Web, Bridge to Terebithia, and Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry, but I read those as a child. I think The Yearling did too.

message 46: by Lorena (last edited Mar 22, 2016 08:12AM) (new)

Lorena I cried a lot when I was reading Cuore by Edmondo de Amicis as a kid, A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett , Medea by Euripides , Antigone by Sophocles . I read the Greek tragedies before I was 13, and I had very strong impressions from them. Other books that made me cry were Black Swan by Богомил Райнов , Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy , We the Living by Ayn Rand . Maybe there are others more but it sometimes depended on the mood. :)

message 47: by Anni (last edited Mar 26, 2016 03:40AM) (new)

Anni Several books have made me cry. some of them are:- Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy , A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini , The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini , Riders to the Sea by J.M. Synge , Oedipus Rex by Sophocles , Antigone by Sophocles ,Love Story

message 48: by Gary (new)

Gary | 200 comments This book touched my tender side. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

message 49: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 03, 2016 09:59AM) (new)

Jennifer (diary-of-a-part-time-writer) | 57 comments I brought The Book Thief out to dinner with me once and ended up finishing it that night sitting in my car, silently crying for like, the last fifty pages. Not long after that, I reread A Little Princess for the first time in a decade and ended up crying over that book, too. Those two are particularly memorable to me because I usually don't do much more than tear up around a lump in my throat, but both books had me actually crying.

Also, the first time I read Little Women I was sick in bed and basically read through it in one long sitting punctuated by naps and when I got to the end I was sobbing.

message 50: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Gary wrote: "This book touched my tender side. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson"

Oh yes, most definitely this one! Also Ender's Game!

« previous 1 3