Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Getting to Know You > What books have made you cry?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I keep a note of all the books that have made me cry:

Loyalty in Death Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
A Long Long WayA Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
An Imperfect Lens: A Novel An Imperfect Lens A Novel by Anne Roiphe by Anne Roiphe
Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan by John Grogan
Katherine Katherine by Anya Seton by Anya Seton
The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak by Markus Zusak
Passion: A Novel of the Romantic Poets Passion A Novel of the Romantic Poets by Jude Morgan by Jude Morgan
The Amber Spyglass The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling
The Indian Clerk The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt by David Leavitt
A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini
Lady Macbeth Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King by Susan Fraser King
The Commoner The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz by John Burnham Schwartz
The Host The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
What was Lost What was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn by Catherine O'Flynn
Breaking Dawn Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
The Art of Racing in the Rain The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein by Garth Stein
Lover Avenged Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward
Small Wars Small Wars by Sadie Jones by Sadie Jones
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson by Helen Simonson
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
Battle Cry Battle Cry by Leon Uris by Leon Uris
Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear by Jacqueline Winspear
How to Be an American Housewife How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway
Reaper Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent
The School of Night The School of Night by Louis Bayard by Louis Bayard
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë by Anne Brontë
Innocent Traitor Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir by Alison Weir
Podkayne of Mars Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein by Robert A. Heinlein
On the Beach On the Beach by Nevil Shute by Nevil Shute
The Ocean at the End of the Lane The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman
The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman by M.L. Stedman
The Dogs of Christmas The Dogs of Christmas by W. Bruce Cameron by W. Bruce Cameron
The Rosie Project The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion by Graeme Simsion
Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz
Jim Henson: The Biography Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones by Brian Jay Jones
The Honor of the Queen The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) by David Weber by David Weber
Survivor In Death Survivor In Death (In Death, #20) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
Suspect Suspect by Robert Crais by Robert Crais

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Oct 25, 2014 03:56AM) (new)

Sarah | 662 comments I swear I already posted - weird.
The Poisonwood Bible (Oprah's Book Club) by Barbara Kingsolver A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup Me Before You by Jojo Moyes The Help by Kathryn Stockett Les Miserables (Penguin Readers Level 6) by Victor Hugo

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments The Character of Rain by Amélie Nothomb

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments oops, I how could I forget to mention 'The Fault in our Stars' and 'Catcher in the Rye'? Among a lot of others...

The Junkie's Fix is Reading (it's Em) Many to mention.lol but the latest was Unforgiven (Unbreakable, #3) by Rebecca Shea . I'm mean the whole 90% of the whole reading experience was spent on bucket of tears and a box of kleenex. lol

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 151 comments Recently "read"(audio) and it made me cry, but in a very good way as it was so endearing and heartwarming.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I just finished a reread of Julie of the Wolves and it made me cry several times. I'm prone to tears, so I often cry when reading *shrugs in resignation*

message 8: by Melissa H (new)

Melissa H | 40 comments I finished And the Mountains Echoed about 2 weeks ago and I cried. Multiple times. Wonderful book.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

message 10: by Souravi (new)

Souravi Sarkar (superwoman_sou) | 3 comments Malgudi Days,Scenes from a Writer's life,A thousand Splendid Suns

message 11: by Melissa H (new)

Melissa H | 40 comments It seems as if Hosseini's works makes a lot of people cry. I also cried reading The Kite Runner, and I'm sure that when I read A Thousand Splendid Suns I'll cry as well.

message 12: by Freight (new)

Freight Books (freightbooks) | 11 comments A House Called Askival by Merryn Glover. For various reasons - the loyalty of the servants, the feeling of returning "home" after many, many years away, the violence and fear in India after Partition.

message 13: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 2 comments Captain Correlli's Mandolin-an amazing book but it made me cry, even after putting it down. I have only read it all the way through once, when I re-read it I stopped before the part that made me cry.

message 14: by C.E. (new)

C.E. (charlichalk) | 7 comments @ Kirsten & Sarah - Wow! That's a lot of crying! lol.

A thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult

For One More Day - Mitch Albom

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7 comments Mine - when it barely sold any copies -:)

message 16: by Lana (new)

Lana Kortchik The Bronze Horseman every time!

message 17: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Sun (sunrequiem) | 7 comments Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

Beautiful, beautiful words that pierce like swords.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz | 1 comments Mornings in Jenin Mornings in Jenin
So powerful and also so painful!

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3016 comments The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams

The first time I started it, I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I tried again a few years later and finished it.
There are probably others, but that one is the most unforgettable.
I remember sobbing(when I was about ten or so) when Bambi's mother died.

message 20: by Travel (new)

Travel Books and Movies | 8 comments A Thousand Splendid Suns--I remember the exact moment when I was sitting at a cafe in Nice, France, and I just could not control the tears. It was just so beautiful and heartbreaking and tragic and, to this day, I think about the waiter and all those people walking past me and how I must have looked!

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 10 comments Set in on a little lighthouse post 100 miles from the Australian coast.

The Light Between Oceans byM.L. Stedman

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie Griffin | 15 comments Many books have made me feel sad, but only one caused tears to run down my face, and it was the same book!

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie Griffin | 15 comments Travel wrote: "A Thousand Splendid Suns--I remember the exact moment when I was sitting at a cafe in Nice, France, and I just could not control the tears. It was just so beautiful and heartbreaking and tragic and..."

I meant to post here. Only one book has ever made me cry in my life, and it was the same book Sharon!

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 10 comments Yes it was a good book. I felt so sad over a mother and daughter being kept apart. So cruel.