Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > What books have made you cry?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 24 comments I keep a note of all the books that have made me cry:

Loyalty in Death Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
A Long Long WayA Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
An Imperfect Lens: A Novel An Imperfect Lens A Novel by Anne Roiphe by Anne Roiphe
Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan by John Grogan
Katherine Katherine by Anya Seton by Anya Seton
The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak by Markus Zusak
Passion: A Novel of the Romantic Poets Passion A Novel of the Romantic Poets by Jude Morgan by Jude Morgan
The Amber Spyglass The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling
The Indian Clerk The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt by David Leavitt
A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini
Lady Macbeth Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King by Susan Fraser King
The Commoner The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz by John Burnham Schwartz
The Host The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
What was Lost What was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn by Catherine O'Flynn
Breaking Dawn Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
The Art of Racing in the Rain The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein by Garth Stein
Lover Avenged Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward
Small Wars Small Wars by Sadie Jones by Sadie Jones
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson by Helen Simonson
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
Battle Cry Battle Cry by Leon Uris by Leon Uris
Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear by Jacqueline Winspear
How to Be an American Housewife How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway
Reaper Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent
The School of Night The School of Night by Louis Bayard by Louis Bayard
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë by Anne Brontë
Innocent Traitor Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir by Alison Weir
Podkayne of Mars Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein by Robert A. Heinlein
On the Beach On the Beach by Nevil Shute by Nevil Shute
The Ocean at the End of the Lane The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman
The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman by M.L. Stedman
The Dogs of Christmas The Dogs of Christmas by W. Bruce Cameron by W. Bruce Cameron
The Rosie Project The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion by Graeme Simsion
Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz
Jim Henson: The Biography Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones by Brian Jay Jones
The Honor of the Queen The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) by David Weber by David Weber
Survivor In Death Survivor In Death (In Death, #20) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
Suspect Suspect by Robert Crais by Robert Crais

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I don't really respond to books by crying. The one exception would probably be The Fault in Our Stars. I also had just found out my Aunt had been diagnosed with cancer though as well.
That's the only one that comes to mind. I don't normally read books that pull at the heart strings though either.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Oct 24, 2014 06:24PM) (new)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The Book Thief, Marcus Zusak.... Is it even possible not to cry with this book? It's just... THE FEELS¡¡¡ :'D

message 5: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (bookhound18) Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson is the most recent book to make me cry...

message 6: by Beachesnbooks (new)

Beachesnbooks So many of the books that made me cry are YA:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Also:
Beloved by Toni Morrison The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2) by Octavia E. Butler Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

message 7: by Deb (new)

Deb Stambaugh | 10 comments I can only think of two. The Kite Runner and Me Before You made me cry hard. I tend to cry over movies more than books.

message 9: by dyanne (last edited Oct 26, 2014 05:10PM) (new)

dyanne Angela wrote: "A few more to add to my original list ;
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
Me Before You
The Light Between Oceans"

Oh my gosh, that book (A Constellation of Vital Phenomena) is spectacular. One of the very few books that made me cry.

Also,
Just One Day
I Am the Messenger
Harry Potter Boxset
and of course...
The Book Thief

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Angela wrote: "A few more to add to my original list ;
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
Me Before You
The Light Between Oceans"

I don't see your original list?

message 11: by Angela M (last edited Oct 27, 2014 05:43AM) (new)

Angela M Sarah ,
That's because this question was posed in another group and I posted my original list there . Just realized this ! In any event , here is my original list .
Some of the books that made me cry :

We Are Called to Rise
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
The Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Almond Tree
Neverhome
The Book Thief
The Snow Child
Code Name Verity
Rose Under Fire
All the Light We Cannot See
What She Left Behind

I'm sure there are many others but these are the ones I can think of that I have read in the last couple of years.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Ooh - I am gonna read Code Name Verity in about a week. I have The Almond Tree downloaded on my Kindle. I really want to read We Are Called to Rise. I only got 13% into All the Light We Cannot See but had to put it on hold due to other buddy reads and BOM's. And I have been meaning to read The Kite Runner for eternity.

Any on my list you haven't read - I highly recommend to you - especially The Poisonwood Bible and A Fine Balance.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 24 comments I thought The Kite Runner was alright, but I felt that his other two books, A Thousand Splendid Suns and And the Mountains Echoed, were much more layered and emotionally intense.

I've heard a lot about A Fine Balance - I really need to get to it one of these days.

message 14: by Angela M (last edited Oct 27, 2014 05:45AM) (new)

Angela M Sarah , thanks . I have read The Poisonwood Bible . It's my favorite Kingsolver book . A Fine Balance is on my to read list . I really have to make time for it.

We Are Called to Rise is one of my favorites of the year so far.

message 15: by Kelli (new)

Kelli | 10 comments The first book that made me cry was The Bean Trees, then I sobbed harder for The Poison Wood Bible.

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 24 comments That was the first one? Ever? I think my first one was Where The Red Fern Grows...

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 139 comments My first one I can remember was Black Beauty.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments My newest edition would be We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 82 comments My first one was Where the Red Fern Grows that was back in JR High. I tend to get more pissed when a book kills off charthers but there are a couple that have had me shead a tear Like Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince when Serius died, it seemed so senseless that it cut past the anger and a tear trickled out. And a Few Deaomons More. When Kisten died. I was so mad and so upset. Only series to make me cry and I still had to have each book when it came out.