All About Books discussion

General Archive > What books have made you cry?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I keep a note of all the books that have made me cry:

Loyalty in Death Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
A Long Long WayA Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
An Imperfect Lens: A Novel An Imperfect Lens A Novel by Anne Roiphe by Anne Roiphe
Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog Marley and Me Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan by John Grogan
Katherine Katherine by Anya Seton by Anya Seton
The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak by Markus Zusak
Passion: A Novel of the Romantic Poets Passion A Novel of the Romantic Poets by Jude Morgan by Jude Morgan
The Amber Spyglass The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman by Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling
The Indian Clerk The Indian Clerk by David Leavitt by David Leavitt
A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini by Khaled Hosseini
Lady Macbeth Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King by Susan Fraser King
The Commoner The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz by John Burnham Schwartz
The Host The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
What was Lost What was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn by Catherine O'Flynn
Breaking Dawn Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
The Art of Racing in the Rain The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein by Garth Stein
Lover Avenged Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward by J.R. Ward
Small Wars Small Wars by Sadie Jones by Sadie Jones
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson by Helen Simonson
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer by Stephenie Meyer
Battle Cry Battle Cry by Leon Uris by Leon Uris
Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear by Jacqueline Winspear
How to Be an American Housewife How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway by Margaret Dilloway
Reaper Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5) by Rachel Vincent by Rachel Vincent
The School of Night The School of Night by Louis Bayard by Louis Bayard
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë by Anne Brontë
Innocent Traitor Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir by Alison Weir
Podkayne of Mars Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein by Robert A. Heinlein
On the Beach On the Beach by Nevil Shute by Nevil Shute
The Ocean at the End of the Lane The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman by Neil Gaiman
The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman by M.L. Stedman
The Dogs of Christmas The Dogs of Christmas by W. Bruce Cameron by W. Bruce Cameron
The Rosie Project The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion by Graeme Simsion
Odd Thomas Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz
Jim Henson: The Biography Jim Henson The Biography by Brian Jay Jones by Brian Jay Jones
The Honor of the Queen The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) by David Weber by David Weber
Survivor In Death Survivor In Death (In Death, #20) by J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb
Suspect Suspect by Robert Crais by Robert Crais

message 2: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) Great thread topic! Let's see... Books that have made me shed full-blown tears were:
The Green Mile by Stephen King (SO MUCH CRYING)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Room by Emma Donoghue
And a childhood series, The Whalesong Trilogy by Robert Siegel

There have been lots of other books where I might not have outright cried, but they affected me very strongly. Sometimes, when a book moves me deeply, I don't actually cry, I just have to sit in stunned silence. Some of those include:
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace (this book was brutal in the best way)
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (I hear his other book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a tearjerker. I plan to read that soon.)

I'm sure there are others but they're not coming to me at the moment!

message 3: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz | 1001 comments Not that many and I don't think I've ever had a 'full-on' crying experience from a book, but Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and The Pianist all brought tears to my eyes; Great Expectations in particular I remember.

message 4: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Some of the books that made me cry :

We Are Called to Rise
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
The Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Almond Tree
Neverhome
The Book Thief
The Snow Child
Code Name Verity
Rose Under Fire
All the Light We Cannot See
What She Left Behind

I'm sure there are many others but these are the ones I can think of that I have read in the last couple of years.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7490 comments Mod
There are actually a number over the years, but I'm recalling three books that made me cry in the past year: Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The Never Let Me Go one I could tell was going to hit me; so I read the conclusion discreetly in private at home. With the other two, I was not at all prepared. The Ender's Game one (embarrassing) happened in my car before work, and the Death of a Salesman one (even more embarrassing) happened waiting for a physical at a doctor's office.

I don't generally cry easily, but in really good books, it's the small, understated details that can sometimes get to me. With Ender's Game, it was (view spoiler).

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7490 comments Mod
Oh and I forgot, one more this year.. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. That one definitely involved some crying too.

message 7: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 185 comments Most recently it was 'The Fault in Our Stars'
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Most recently, Came A Cavalier by Frances Parkinson Keyes. Movies make me cry, but not usually books.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie My eyes can water up, but that is about it. Kirsten, it is a good shelf, because it means the book really did move you! I like books that do this, that make you laugh and cry!

message 10: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Probably the first time I cried on a book was with Nemecsek's death in The Paul Street Boys

message 11: by Julia (last edited Nov 08, 2015 07:17AM) (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) | 715 comments The very first book that made me cry was Little Women (view spoiler)

My Sister's Keeper - Oh my goodness. Talk about being blindsided by an ending.... I know now to always have tissues with me when I read her.

Izzy & Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey, and Me - I love love love dogs, and who wouldn't' love the little cutie on the cover of this book? (view spoiler)

Winter Garden - My mom & I are besties, but when I was growing up I would go for months without saying a word to her, and we lived in the same house. I am also great friends w/ my sister, but I'll admit I have a little baggage from childhood due to Mom going easier on her than me. The present time story line really hit close to home for me b/c it touches on mother/daughter, sister/sister relationships. The 2nd storyline, the seige of Lenningrad in WWII.... I can't even imagine.....

Redeeming Love - I love this book, man how I love this book. The life this woman had, and how she was able to rebuild herself with her faith.. I don't normally read anything with religious themes or tones to them, but this book really hooked me.

These books didn't just make me cry... I had a sob-fest while reading them...

I love books that make me cry or laugh out loud, so I'll be going back and shelving some of these books.

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki L (legacy9487) | 25 comments Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World This didn't just make me cry....I'm talking downright, uncontrollable, sobbing. I've read it twice and cried just as hard the 2nd time around.

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) | 715 comments Vicki - I love books like that (my BF thinks I'm crazy, but what does he know, he's not a reader).

I've shelved this for future read.

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki L (legacy9487) | 25 comments Julia wrote: "Vicki - I love books like that (my BF thinks I'm crazy, but what does he know, he's not a reader).

I've shelved this for future read."

Julia you'll fall head over heels in love with Dewey. Look him up online too. There's lots of videos about him. :)

message 15: by Robin P (last edited Dec 03, 2014 09:19PM) (new)

Robin P Books that made me cry - The Art of Racing in the Rain although I resented it because the author tried so hard to make his characters suffer.
Kafka on the Shore at the very end
The Time Traveler's Wife
Several places in the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett

I just remembered the first book that made me cry was Lassie Come-Home. I was in 3rd grade and it was some kind of free reading time and I was embarrassed to be crying at my desk but I couldn't help it.

message 16: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 621 comments Well, Dorothy Dunnett wrenches every emotion out of you that it is possible to have! Lassie Come Home, oh yes. And every other childhood book I read - Bambi, Heidi, Black Beauty, Little Women, The Secret Garden, Old Yeller, Gentle Ben - yeah, I liked animals.

As far as recent, I actually teared up at the end of Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail that I just finished.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments @Robin and Laurel -- yes, I have reached a weepy place in my rereading of Checkmate!

And I always cry at the place Julia mentioned in Little Women even after repeated rereading.

And I teared up some during A Town Like Alice recently...

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie The last chapter I just read in Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants brought tears to my eyes. It is about raising kids and then letting them go. Isn't that one of the hardest things in life?

message 19: by Erica (new)

Erica | 862 comments Currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green...I hardly ever cry when reading but this one caught me unawares. Such powerful writing.

message 20: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 185 comments How We Die: the first chapter
How We Die Reflections of Life's Final Chapter by Sherwin B. Nuland

message 21: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 543 comments Though there have been plenty, the one that always comes to mind is To Kill a Mockingbird because I was reading in on the subway when I started crying. I don't recall crying while reading it in high school though.

message 22: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7490 comments Mod
Yes Chinook, I can relate. I made the mistake of reading Death of a Salesman at the doctor's office waiting for my physical. I was crying in the reception room. People probably thought I got bad news, very embarrassing. :)

message 23: by LauraT (new)

Leslie wrote: "@Robin and Laurel -- yes, I have reached a weepy place in my rereading of Checkmate!

And I always cry at the place Julia mentioned in Little Women even after repeated rereading. ..."

Terrible that bit of Little Women!

message 24: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 543 comments Never Let Me Go didn't make me cry, but I was in Japan touring Osaka Castle. I sat down to read it as I ate a snack and didn't get up until I'd read the whole book.

Bridge to Teribithia got me twice - while reading the book as an adult (read it in sixth grade in school as well) and watching the movie - on an airplane! I also cried watching My Sister's Keeper on a plane but can't recall if the book made me cry.

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7490 comments Mod
Bridge to Terabithia got me too, both the book and the movie!

message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) | 715 comments LauraT wrote: "Terrible that bit of Little Women! .."

It was the first book to make me cry..., I remember my mother coming rushing into the room asking me what was wrong...

message 27: by Book Ninja (new)

Book Ninja | 213 comments Books have made me sad and have made me feel for the characters but the only book that made me cry was The Last Song.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) In The Two Towers I cried at the funeral of Boromir.

In We Need to Talk About Kevin I cried when Eva experienced an unexpected act of kindness after what must have felt like rejection by everyone around her.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie (youneverarrived) | 168 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Little Women
My Sister's Keeper
The Kite Runner

There's probably loads more but that's all I can think of right now.

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth | 508 comments Me Before You - don't think any book has ever made me cry harder - I was sobbing like a family member had died.

The Fault in Our Stars
Little Women

I'm sure there are many, many more.

message 31: by LauraT (new)

Julia wrote: "LauraT wrote: "Terrible that bit of Little Women! .."

It was the first book to make me cry..., I remember my mother coming rushing into the room asking me what was wrong..."

Same for me!!!
One other, probably the second, was Un uomo by Oriana Fallaci. The fact that you knew the story was real was even more terrible for me

message 32: by Leslie (last edited Dec 08, 2014 12:07PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Beth wrote: "In The Two Towers I cried at the funeral of Boromir..."

Oh, I always cry at the end of the trilogy (in The Return of the King) when (view spoiler)

message 33: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 455 comments Off the too of my head, My Sisters Keeper, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Book Thief were all pretty big tear jerkers. I'm sure there are more, I do like a book to make me cry.

message 34: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I listed a number of books in a previous post but Gemma reminded me that I cried after reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
The most recent books that have made me cry are A Land More Kind Than Home , Inside the O'Briens and Unbroken .

message 35: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 455 comments I have just remembered The Fault in Our Stars too. Pretty much cried from start to finish.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 17, 2015 10:15AM) (new)

TFIOS. Divergent. Tomorrow's Wizard The Book Thief and I'm sure there are others.
EDIT: I just remembered Messenger. And I'm sure if I were to reread A Dangerous Path I would cry...

message 37: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Since I responded last these books made me cry :
A Little Life
Boo
Aquarium

message 38: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz | 1001 comments Chinook wrote: "Though there have been plenty, the one that always comes to mind is To Kill a Mockingbird because I was reading in on the subway when I started crying. I don't recall crying while readi..."

Oh dear... I'm reading this at work at the moment! Am finding it completely enthralling though. It's a few years since I saw the film.

Another that turned on the waterworks for me was The Grapes of Wrath, especially at the end, but I remember welling up a number of times as well as feeling very angry that their world had descended to such things.

message 39: by Robin P (last edited Jun 20, 2015 08:51PM) (new)

Robin P Yes, there's something about animals - Besides the ones I mentioned above, Watership Down and The Incredible Journey definitely made me cry.

When an author is too obvious, as (in my opinion) in The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, I feel manipulated and get turned off. When I was in college, Love Story was what The Fault in Our Stars is now. I devoured the book and saw the movie but I don't remember that it made me cry.

message 40: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 451 comments Definitely Elegance of the Hedgehog, The Little Prince, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

message 41: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Rybol | 1 comments My Sweet Orange Tree definitely made me cry... My Sweet Orange Tree by José Mauro de Vasconcelos

message 42: by Piret (new)

Piret | 92 comments Three Comrades: A Novel of Germany Between the Wars almost made me cry. I don't remember if I have ever properly cried while reading. Sometimes I really want to cry because of book but it just doesn't happen :/

message 43: by Cathie (new)

message 44: by L. Mary (new)

L. Mary Swigart (lmary) And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, both of which I started reading on my commute to work (and then quickly decided to read them at home instead), are the only books that have made me cry--A Fine Balance made me outright sob. Wonderful books that I wish I had the strength to reread, but even thinking about them now gets me a bit.

message 46: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 684 comments Little Women was the first book that made me cry and there have been countless others over the years. Angela's Ashes - I had to put the book down because I was sobbing.

Death Be Not Proud was another early book I read that made me cry. The Road made me cry and also stayed with me a long time after reading it.
Any book that has a dog or cat die, I get reduced to a puddle. I try to avoid those books.

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Ruth wrote: "Little Women was the first book that made me cry and there have been countless others over the years..."

I don't know if it was the first but I too cried when I read Little Women!

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen | 13 comments Sophie's Choice and Me Before You; Charlotte's Web and Black Beauty from the first time I read them as a child.
Sophie's Choice by William Styron Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

message 49: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen | 13 comments Shannon N wrote: "Great thread topic! Let's see... Books that have made me shed full-blown tears were:
The Green Mile by Stephen King (SO MUCH CRYING)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
[book:Room|..."

Everything is Illuminated got me, too. A beautiful book. He broke up with Nicole Krauss and is dating an actress, Michelle Williams.

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen | 13 comments Noorilhuda wrote: "Most recently it was 'The Fault in Our Stars'
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green"

My daughter is reading this and loves it. She loved the line "My lungs suck at being lungs"

« previous 1