Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > My messed up Author Page

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Hall (goodreadscomwriterhall) | 24 comments I love Goodreads to keep track of my own reading, but I'm also an author, and on my entire author page I don't think there is one thing that is correct. All of the covers there are wrong, plus there are 3 books on my list which I didn't even write. I have written 20 mysteries and they are not up there. I can't even add the new books that I have recently written. It makes me want to give up on Goodreads as an author. Can anyone help? It will be a very long email with all the changes that need to be made.

Thank you,
Linda Hall

message 2: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Post the issues right here Linda, and we'll try put them straight. That's exactly what this group is for.

Probably we need to separate your profile from all the other authors who share your name, so I suggest you stary with listing the books that are on GR that are yours, and which ones are not, so we can disentangle them.

message 3: by Philip (last edited Oct 24, 2014 03:28PM) (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Just post here what you need, that way anybody can work on it. Usually does not take that long for things to get fixed.

If you mean that book covers are old ones and not knew, and none of the listed editions of the book have the cover, either you can create a new edition by clicking the Create New Edition link, or let us know which ones and where to get the current covers from.

You can then set the edition that is shown when somebody does a search. This might be the issue with some of the books you say have the wrong cover. Below is the steps to set default edition.

Here is how to set your Default Edition.
Set Default Edition

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Hall (goodreadscomwriterhall) | 24 comments Okay - big breath - this might take a while:

BOOKS I DID NOT WRITE:
Delores Del Rio
Longmont Business Studies for Igcse
Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations

BOOKS NO LONGER AVAILABLE:
Weather Ladies
A Small Season of Magic

The reason those titles are no longer available is that they are now a part of my short story collection - STRANGE FACES a book I can't find on Goodreads, even though I've tried to add it a bunch of times.

BOOKS WITH THE WRONG COVERS:
Steal Away
Katheryn's Secret

When I try to change the covers, I'm given the message that only librarians can do that.

Here is a list of all my books - the newest to the oldest - but how do I get the cover images to you?

Night Watch
Strange Faces
Steal Away
Chat Room
Margaret's Peace
Island of Refuge
Katheryn's Secret
Sadie's Song
August Gamble
November Veil
April Operation
Dark Water
Black Ice
Storm Warning
On Thin Ice
Critical Impact
Shadows in the Mirror
Shadows at the Window
Shadows on the River

The frustrating this is that for a while, my author page was pretty much up to date, and then suddenly books began disappearing and odd ones began appearing. (Until I just gave up and quit coming into Goodreads - even though I like it for recording my own reading)

If anyone wants to take this on, I would be most happy. I am happy to send the book covers.

Linda Hall

message 5: by Abcdarian (last edited Oct 24, 2014 03:57PM) (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments I see part of the problem: almost all of your books are combined under one title. I will separate them.

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments I hate to break it to you, but you seem to have combined almost all your books together under the title Steal Away (which explains why they all disappeared).

I'll start with separating those apart, this could take a while.

Meanwhile, for editions that are no longer in print: We don't delete those, because readers who do own them may still want to shelve/review them. But it's ok to note in the description that they are out of print.

The ones which need new covers added, again, the old covers stay as Philip noted, but we can add new editions.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Hall (goodreadscomwriterhall) | 24 comments Ah weird, sorry this happened. Don't know how :) But I'll carefully follow your directions.

Linda

message 8: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments You are hardly the first author to get into trouble with the combine button, don't worry about it.

What you need to know:

1. The reviews will sort themselves out, and reattach to the correct books, but it may take a day or two, so in the meantime, it could look pretty weird.

2. The series are seriously messed up, and only librarians can edit those, so once we have everything separated, you'll probably need to make us another list of the books and what series they go in, (some are easy, they're already in the title, others not so obvious, so likely some will be missed)

3. I suggest we give it a day or two until the cache is up to date, and your profile is looking sort of straight, and then attack the covers. But for that, just a link to the updated image on either a publisher site, your own author site, or amazon, is all we need (and if they have new isbn's, Amazon ASIN's or any other changed info if it's not just the covers.)

4. Once everything is sorted out, you can choose which ones are the default for people searching for your name or books by title, I'll get back to that after we have the rest fixed :)

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Hall (goodreadscomwriterhall) | 24 comments Oh my dear - thank you so very much! I'll check back in a couple of days.

Linda

message 10: by Rachael (last edited Oct 24, 2014 04:19PM) (new)

Rachael Allen | 6 comments Hi there!

There's some stuff I didn't write under my name, and a book I did write under another Rachael Allen. Is it possible to make it so that the only two books under my name are:

17 FIRST KISSES
THE REVENGE PLAYBOOK

Thank you GR librarians! You guys are my heroes!!

Rachael

ETA: Oh! And I'm "Rachael Allen" with two spaces in between if that helps :)

message 11: by Nanaa (new)

Nanaa (xxmzsmilesxx) | 1167 comments Hey Rachael I've cleaned up your profile.

message 12: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Your books should all have appeared now and your series, though it doesn't look like it on your profile page yet, are sorted: https://www.goodreads.com/series/list....

I suspect the covers you want are there, you just need to choose those editions as the default ones: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/3...

message 13: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Allen | 6 comments Thank you so much, Nandar!