Beta Reader Group discussion

Covers, Blurbs, 1st Line, Query > Still Life Cover

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (last edited Oct 24, 2014 02:36PM) (new)

Valerie Thomas | 37 comments Hey everyone!
I just finished the cover for my next novel, and would love thoughts. Here's the blurb as it currently stands:
*When Hunter comes out to his parents, it tears the family apart. His mother can't stand to live with him, while his vengeful sister vows to make him, and the girl who convinced him to tell, pay. Hunter's sister becomes obsessed with her revenge, and she doesn't care who she hurts in order to get it.*

The cover:

Does that look good, or should I make some changes?

Thanks,
Val

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Jennings-Mapp (patrick_mapp) | 7 comments I like the image quite well. It's lovely, striking, and the irregular brush technique is captivating.

The title is difficult to read, however, and I'm not sure what I would suggest to remedy that. If the title was higher, and the letters rested on a white background, it would be very clear.

Also, I'm curious: what does this picture represent, as it relates to the story?

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Marleau (daniel_marleau) | 6 comments Make title bolder, bigger, brighter. Remove "By". Just your name. Also make your name all caps, or small caps.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack Kardiac (jackardiac) | 28 comments I agree with both Patrick and Daniel. Bolder, bigger title with a white "shadow" or glow to help offset the black type against the dark background. The artwork is captivating and professional-looking. Great job!

message 5: by Kathy (last edited Oct 25, 2014 08:38AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 37 comments I like the cover,though I agree with the recommended changes to the title and to your name. Is there a reason why part of the woman's face is missing?

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Thomas | 37 comments Oh, awesome, even more feedback than I expected! Thanks everyone!

The picture is supposed to be one of the main characters of the novel (Ava, 'the girl who convinced him to tell' in the blurb). As far as part of the part of her face that's missing, I'm not sure why the artist chose to do that, but for the sake of the work I liked it because I believe it conveys a slightly darker tone than the full face would have.

Okay, removing the 'by,' pulling the title up, and adding a white afterglow now... I'll post the results when I finish (hopefully in a few minutes :).

message 7: by Jim (last edited Oct 25, 2014 09:32AM) (new)

Jim Carnicelli (jimcarnicelli) | 71 comments I love the artwork!

Title doesn't stand out enough. Consider artistically arranging white paint slashes behind the black text. Or adding a margin above her head in which to put the text in the clear. Or have a horizontal accent splash underneath the text. Or darken it even more with a painted dark gradient from the top and white text on it.

I wouldn't rely on outer glow, drop shadows, or other 3D effects; they'll clash with your style.

When I hear "comes out" today, I immediately think "as gay". If this is a boy coming out as gay, it leaves me wondering who the woman is. Perhaps this is about a boy coming out as a transgender or other gender queer, in which case I'd assume the cover represents her. Perhaps you should be explicit in your blurb with "comes out as X".

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Thomas | 37 comments Haha, I'm not near good enough with PS to manage most of that ^_^ What I did try was to take everyone's advice in terms of a background for the text, while still keeping the image as visible as possible. Here's the result:

Still Life Cover

As far as the blurb goes, yup, it's supposed to mean he's coming out as gay. I'll add that to the blurb so it's clearer :) Thanks!

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Carnicelli (jimcarnicelli) | 71 comments Looks better already, but I think you can squeeze more awesome out of the title somehow.

message 10: by Valerie (last edited Oct 25, 2014 03:18PM) (new)

Valerie Thomas | 37 comments So, Jim was incredibly generous and crafted some amazing options for covers! If you all could let me know which one you would go with (I won't tell you which ones are my favorites so I don't bias the vote :), I will be eternally grateful. Thanks!
1. Still Life Cover 2. Still Life Cover 3. . Still Life Cover 4. . Still Life Cover
5. . Still Life Cover 6. . Still Life Cover

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Jennings-Mapp (patrick_mapp) | 7 comments I like #4 best. They all look nice though!

message 12: by K.P. (last edited Oct 25, 2014 04:34PM) (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 129 comments ech, I don't like the font on any of those covers >_<

If you can punt your cover my way I can make something awesome with it to make it more professional looking (and put my art degree to use lolz). the art is awesome. You got front and back cover images for your book in tiff? is this ebook only or will this see print? hit me up at kpmerriweather at gmail.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 37 comments I like #3 the best because the title and your name are in a different color, but I prefer the font of #4. I don't care for the way the banner across the image is so obvious in #4.

message 14: by G.G. (last edited Oct 25, 2014 05:12PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) My favorite is #2 and #6
What I don't like about 4 is that it squares the picture in an amateur way,which is often frown upon.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Carnicelli (jimcarnicelli) | 71 comments So many different tastes. Cool. :-)

message 16: by Jack (new)

Jack Kardiac (jackardiac) | 28 comments I agree with G.G. Number 4 has a nice font, but the white blocks on top and bottom messes with the beauty of the picture. Second pick would be Number 1.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Thomas | 37 comments Oh gosh, lots of votes :) Haha, thanks everyone!