Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive: book discussions > A book that speaks to you.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Autumn-leigh (new)

Autumn-leigh I have read many books, but I have yet to come across one that speaks me. That one book that you could read over and over and has the same lasting affect on you as when you read it for the first time. It's the one that makes you feel as though it was specifically written for you. It may not be popular but it's yours and it makes it better that it isn't as widely known. I was wondering, if ya'll had a book like that, what is was and why you love it so much.

message 2: by Marc (last edited Oct 24, 2014 11:23AM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 181 comments I used to read Albert Camus' "L'Etranger" once a year as it was so seminal to me. The first 'proper' or 'grown-up' book I ever really read (having been pointed to it via The Cure song "Killing An Arab".

It introduced me to alienation and existentialism with which i could identify and set me off on a hunger for reading that has never dwindled., though as you say, I tend to find most fail to satisfy. It's why I started writing, to write those books I might want to read but couldn't find already out there in print.

message 3: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments Hi, I have read severl books like that. For me, they start with Anne McCaffrey 's dragin books, one to five/six, a set if fourif hers ana single. There are ohs tol.
Evelyn

message 4: by J.S. (last edited Oct 27, 2014 12:20PM) (new)

J.S. Burke | 50 comments Evelyn, I agree. Lessa of Pern and The White Dragon are two of my favorite books. Anne McCaffrey created a marvelous world. I also love Watership Down, with such memorable characters. I want to be there with them. King of the Wind puts me in another time, with a mute boy and a horse, and it really happened. Le Petit Prince has wonderful imagery and philosophy; it's better in French.

Of course, I love my own dragon & sea book, or I wouldn't have been able to keep writing.

Autumn-leigh, what a nice question!
J.S.

message 5: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments I cannot think of how many books I re-read, though Si only reaon Kindle now.
Js wha is the link for you book?
Evelyn

message 6: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Burke | 50 comments Evelyn,
My book is The Dragon Dreamer by J.S. Burke. It's a young adult science fantasy with flying dragons, an undersea world, and an unexpected friendship. Here's the link on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Dreamer-...

Let me know what you think of it! I painted the covers.
J.S.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 5 comments Green Inheritance by Aldous Huxley changed the way I thought about the natural world when I read it at 22.

I have cried with books, launched, been made throughout and inspired to write through the brilliance of other writers. I have to say thought since school I have never read a book twice. My mother used to read Wuthering Heights every decade.

message 8: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments I guess I have read it about three times and seen the film several times, different ones. Never read the Aldous Huxley opbook though.
Evelyn

message 9: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Burke | 50 comments I've re-read The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart several times. As I experience more of life I see it with different eyes, and understand some nuances more clearly. It's good at almost any age, of course.

message 10: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments I will have to take a sample to see what it is like.
Evelyn

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments I'm a bad example of this since as much as I like a book I don't think I could read it again( I don't know just my thing atm). Though I have definitely come across books that spoke to me and left an everlasting impression within the reading confinements of my brain.

message 12: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments I have read Anne McCaffrey's drahon books umpteen times, amongst others. Jus need more time in my life.
There are plent mire books to read, but sill every so iften, i re-read those i love. Me, i guess.
Evelyn

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Stuart | 21 comments J.S. wrote: "I've re-read The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart several times. As I experience more of life I see it with different eyes, and understand some nuances more clearly. It's good at almost any age, of cou..."

Have you read Mary Stewart's "This Rough Magic"? It gets you the same way.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Stuart | 21 comments J.S. wrote: "Evelyn,
My book is The Dragon Dreamer by J.S. Burke. It's a young adult science fantasy with flying dragons, an undersea world, and an unexpected friendship. Here's the link on amazon:

http://www...."

The cover is beautiful.

message 15: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments No. Will look it up thanks.
Evelyn

message 16: by Jim (last edited Nov 17, 2014 01:54PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Aztec by Gary Jennings. First published in 1980.

Although a fictional historical saga of the final years of the Aztec empire in what is today Mexico, one does not have to be a history aficionado to enjoy it.

Rather long - 1,038 pages, the story, narrated in the first-person by the main character, contains enough emotion, action, romance, intrigue, laughter, heartbreak, and examples of human strengths and weaknesses to hold the attention of and entertain most readers, regardless of their usual genre preference.

message 17: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments Will look it up.
Evelyn

message 18: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 61 comments No Kindle. I only rea now by Kindle
Evelyn

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments I've found that some covers tend to speak to me and then when I first start reading the book it speaks to me but then an awkward silence happens at time where I just can't get into the book anymore and nothing is happening. For the most part though, when a book does speak to me for the better I'm usually hooked and there's no stopping me from getting into it and reading it until the end.