Literary Horror discussion

Morbid Tales
This topic is about Morbid Tales
Monthly Reads > November 2014 Monthly Read: Morbid Tales

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) This book is pretty rare, it is not available at any library in our state. There were no used copies for sale on Amazon. I don't do e-books, so I will just follow along with the discussion and learn what I can. Don't worry about spoilers, they always pique my curiosity and make me want to read the book even more.

message 2: by Char (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:49AM) (new)

Char I may not have time to participate in this month's read, as my November is pretty booked up. (Ha, get it?) However, if I can make it, I will. :)

Ctgt Not yet. Hopefully l'll get started later this week.

Axolotl | 39 comments I'm going to re-read The Mermaid soon...just letting you know I'm still alive, breathing & reading.

Axolotl | 39 comments Attention to everyone wishing to get the paperback: Tartarus often says "sold out" when stocks dwindle, yet they still may have stock, just inquire with Ray and ask; world shipping is always included in the price.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments 1. I read the intro by Mark Samuels. Mark Samuels is an excellent writer of weird tales himself, and his story collections would make for a fine group read.

2. I re-read the story "The Mermaid." I think its a good story, though a little disgressive in the beginning. The story has a supernatural tragic romance plot. I like those kind of stories. Others who wrote that type of story are Robert Aickman and Daphne DuMaurier.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments Alas, I won't be commenting on this book (I have the electronic version) in the next few days. I have a hard drive problem on my recently bought computer. The computer is on warranty, though, and I'll get a new hard drive in a few days.

Sirensongs | 6 comments Cousin X was in one of the Tartarus Press Strange Tales anthologies (the first, perhaps?), and was the first story I ever read by Mr. Crisp. I still recall the frisson of otherness and otherworldly terror it instilled in me. I knew right away Quentin would become one of my favourite writers. He expressed sensations in a way that made me feel that he could somehow delve deep within my psyche. Powerful stuff. This thread has given me a severe longing to re-read Morbid Tales, one of the best collections of any sort of fiction I have ever read!

Axolotl | 39 comments Randolph wrote: "Finished Cousin X, another longer story but not quite as long as The Mermaid. Crisp is striking a tone of tragedy so far through all these stories albeit in different ways in each.

I seem to ha..."

Crisp often provokes a feeling of deja vu in me. I swore I read The Tatooist online somewhere in the early naughts but I have heard subsequently that this is quite impossible.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments I'm back. I liked the story "Far-Off Things." Another supernatural tragic tale, with a Twilight Zone-style twist.

message 11: by Axolotl (last edited Nov 16, 2014 11:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Axolotl | 39 comments Randolph wrote: "I'm almost finished having just read The Tatooist. Even if the next story is the worst story I have ever read this is getting five stars."

I know! "The Tatooist" is like nothing else! Along with his novella Shrike, novel "Remember You're a One-Ball!" and the stories "Ynys-y-Plag", "The Gay Wolf" & "Sado-ga-Shima"---these stories alone provide a strong testament to Crisp's mastery as a writer. I respect and admire no living writer more fervently.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments Cousin X is another fine story. The Creepy Kid is an interesting trope in horror. The story is also partly metaphysical horror: Cousin X has a special way of seeing reality.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments I read he story "A Lake" on the train going to, and from, work. Another fine story, this time cosmic/metaphysical horror.

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments In the story "The Two Timer" the narrator has the power to freeze time. I rate this story so-so.

The story reminded me of the novel The Fermata by Nicholson Baker. The novel too has a narrator that can freeze time, and also has sexual content. I wasn't a fan of the novel either.

message 15: by Ronald (last edited Nov 30, 2014 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments I finished reading the book.

I really don't want to describe the plot of the last three stories. Of the last three stories, I liked "The Tattooist", then "Autumn Colors" and lastly "Ageless". This, I recognize, might be a matter of taste for the "The Tattooist" has a supernatural (and original) element. The last two stories are naturalistic. All three stories have a strong dose of sadness.

I plan to put up a review and rating in a few days. I leaning toward four stars.