Zumbrota Book Lovers discussion

Authors you used to like, but don't anymore

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Some authors you never get tired of. You can read anything they turn out and enjoy it. On the other hand, some authors change direction or style, and you just don't like them anymore.

I used to devour anything Laurell K. Hamilton wrote. I loved her Anita Blake series. Had signed copies of *everything*. Then at some point Hamilton shifted into a "horror romance" writer. What used to be interesting supernatural thrillers turned into sex scene, sex scene, sex scene, two pages of exposition, sex scene, etc. Now I see a new Laurell K. Hamilton book and instead of feeling excitement I feel nothing.

message 2: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 16 comments I totally agree! I used to love her Anita Blake series, until it basically became plotless erotica. I also used to really like Chuck Palahniuk's books, but I'm not really interested anymore. It's not so much that his style changed, it's more that I think I outgrew his style. His books are very extreme, bizarre, often times disturbing and shocking, and I think after a while, they just lost their appeal.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyinmn) | 11 comments I seem to go through genre "stages"--in my teens it was sci-fi--especially Bradbury, Asimov, and Heinlen--then in my 20's it was more fantasy, especially Anne McCaffrey, and in my 30's I read a lot of Mary Higgins Clark. I think in those two periods I needed easy-read fare, because I had a chaotic house full of toddlers and children. Now the sci-fi doesn't interest me, and Clark and McCaffrey seem simplistic and unchallenging. maybe in 20 years what I'm reading now will too...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Speaking of Bradbury, Asimov, and Heinlein, I commented to the spousal unit the other weekend while we were at Uncle Hugo's that it's no fun not being able to anticipate an author's next book because they're dead.