CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Mini-Challenges > November's mini-challenge: Non English origin

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) There are tons of amazing books out there that didn't start out in English. Some international best-selling authors are very well known in the US, such as Steig Larsson (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo), Cornelia Funke (Inkheart) and Haruki Murakami (The Wind Up Bird Chronicle). Others stand patiently in the wings, waiting to be discovered.

This month's challenge is to read a book that was originally published in a language other than English. The field is wide open on this one. Want to read translated plays or poems? Go for it. Do you speak another language? Feel free to read a book in that language!

Here are some recommendations to get you started. The library owns all of these:
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco The Bat (Harry Hole, #1) by Jo Nesbø The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Share your suggestions below!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:59AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 464 comments This month's book club book is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
A couple of the books that I've read that were originally published in another language were The Laughing Policeman by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo and Smila's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson The Laughing Policeman (Martin Beck #4) by Maj Sjöwall Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg

message 3: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy Ohhh, maybe it is time for me to finally tackle "War and Peace."