Smashwords Authors discussion

The Reaper's Opus
This topic is about The Reaper's Opus
General > Reviews with spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zach (new)

Zach Tyo (ztyo) | 53 comments I'm a firm believer that even a negative review is a good review,however I received a review on Smashwords that makes me question this.

For my book, The Reaper's Opus, I advertised free coupons and got a few downloads from that. Not very many reviews, but I did get one that is full of spoilers.

My book, as advertised, contains four short stories. The reviewer revealed the endings of two of the stories. Now it is a five star review, but I'm not sure if there is anything I can or should do about it. Or if I should just forget about it.

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1396 comments To be perfectly honest, your best bet is to just forget about it and focus on being pleased that you got a 5 star review.

Reviews with spoilers are annoying - especially those that give away endings - but there's nothing you can do about it. Even if there was, I wouldn't advise it, since doing so would only reflect badly on you.

message 3: by James (new)

James Corkill | 55 comments I agree with Victoria. Just let it go and keep writing.

message 4: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments I think that unless someone reads the review, immediately buys the book and reads it straight away, the reader won't remember the review anyway (only that it presented the book as worth buying). Especially if they're like me and don't get around to reading things until several months after buying it...

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Rule #1: do not read the reviews of your books
Rule #2: you DO NOT read the reviews on your books
Rule #3: if you really can't refrain from doing it, DO NOT comment on it, ever. Just pretend you stuck to rule #1.
Hope this helps! ;)

message 6: by Roger (new)

Roger Jackson Barbara wrote: "Rule #1: do not read the reviews of your books
Rule #2: you DO NOT read the reviews on your books
Rule #3: if you really can't refrain from doing it, DO NOT comment on it, ever. Just pretend you st..."

So what's the rule about looking at all the pretty little rating stars?

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Roger, you can do that and also check how many reviews do you have since you might need them if you want to do a BookBub add. But DO NOT read them! :D

message 8: by Roger (new)

Roger Jackson Barbara wrote: "Roger, you can do that and also check how many reviews do you have since you might need them if you want to do a BookBub add. But DO NOT read them! :D"

Yes Ma'am!

*salutes smartly*
*ruins it by giggling* :P

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1396 comments *Chuckles at Roger*

message 10: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) Barbara wrote: "Rule #1: do not admit that you read the reviews of your books
Rule #2: you DO NOT read the negative reviews on your books
Rule #3: if you really can't refrain from doing it, 'cause you know that you can't...DO NOT comment on it (in public), EVER."

There...I think I fixed that!