This topic is about Outlander
Week 2014.43: Outlander

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
So ... I watched the show and then read the book: http://amzn.to/1z47ZPv

message 2: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 8 comments That's a long book.

Jennifer (featherlashes) YES!!! I loved this book! Very long...but that was my only complaint. Such an amazing story. I have yet to see the TV show- thinking I might have to take a sick day from work and order Starz for one day LOL
Here's my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Woohoo! My favorite series. :) I'm currently reading the new book. I take my time, because whenever I finish one, it's a looong wait for the next book.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Busa | 1 comments I've been struggling to get into the book

Camie I loved this book !! It's been some time ago though, can't remember if it started slow, but it won't stay that way.

Sandra | 86 comments I read this years ago when it first came out. I think I read a few more in the series, but none of the latest ones. I remember really liking it, the story was so well told and tons of history.

I think the TV show does an excellent job of translating the book to TV.

message 9: by Ananya (new)

Ananya 600+ pages in a week! how are you guys doing it :P

Arlene Morrell | 103 comments I read this book awhile ago and I really enjoyed it.

Bookworm Adventure Girl (bookwormadventuregirl) | 6 comments One of my favourite series. Been reading it for almost 20 years. Currently reading the 8th book and when I saw Diana Gabaldon in June at a signing she said there will be a 9th. They are a commitment but so worth it.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (purplerrr) | 76 comments I've read this book at least 4 times. Guess it's time for a reread and review of it. Love this book and series though some of the later books really could use some judicious editing.

Normaw | 2 comments Rebecca wrote: "I've read this book at least 4 times. Guess it's time for a reread and review of it. Love this book and series though some of the later books really could use some judicious editing."
Agree - I couldn't get through the later books - gave up/lost interest at some point because there was so much detail it drove me a bit mad.

message 14: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky | 20 comments I started reading this one about a week before the show began airing. I like it alright but I think (I'm going to make enemies here) I actually prefer the show. I really hate to say that but I just am not finding myself that invested in the book. I ended up setting it down at the same point the show ended and I find I'm not terribly concerned about finishing it before the next season airs.

Jencey/ (jencey) | 24 comments I have read this book twice. I have also reviewed. It is a loooooooong book! If it seems like a tomb you might want to try the audiofile or book. Davinia Porter narrates it and the rest of the series. I think the TV show is doing a great job of translating the book to the big screen.

Becky wrote: "I started reading this one about a week before the show began airing. I like it alright but I think (I'm going to make enemies here) I actually prefer the show. I really hate to say that but I just..."

I get where you are coming from, but I think part of that is a testament to how well the show is translating the book.

Jencey/ (jencey) | 24 comments Becky wrote: "I started reading this one about a week before the show began airing. I like it alright but I think (I'm going to make enemies here) I actually prefer the show. I really hate to say that but I just..."

Becky,

I hear you! I wasn't a fan of Outlander as much as I am a fan of Dragon Fly in Amber.

message 18: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky | 20 comments Jencey/ wrote: I hear you! I wasn't a fan of Outlander as much as I am a fan of Dragon Fly in Amber.

Good to know! I have the whole set (that's a story for another time) so I do feel obligated to read more.

It's hard not to compare my experience with Outlander to my experience with GoT, which I love. Though admittedly I didn't like those the first time I read them either.

In general I'm just not a big romance reader. I did go in knowing that it was going to be a romance but 1/4 of the way into Outlander I was really impressed by the build of the story and the characters' relationships. Then it was in your face schmexy time ALL the time and I just wanted to get back to the story.

Catherine I do think the show is a wonderful translation of the book. One of the things I really liked about the last few episodes of the show was the husband's perspective. I kind of wish that was part of the book as well - while reading I just kept wondering what was going on back in Claire's time!

Deniz (denizb33) | 6 comments Catherine wrote: "So ... I watched the show and then read the book: http://amzn.to/1z47ZPv"

Awesome! One of my favourite series. I love rereading the books, and wish they were even longer!