The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > New in town

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aja (new)

Aja Nichole (darkblonde) Hi all
I have always been on the edge of being a huge mystery fan but the shelves can be hard to navigate and with many Prolific writers a bit intimidating. I could use some suggestions of all time favourite author/books. I have read Sherlock, and am making my way through miss Marple and Poirot. Thanks for all of your help.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon Kurtz (jondkurtz) | 132 comments Hello Aja,

Along with Doyle and Christie, you may want to consider other classics by Edgar Allen Poe, Harper Lee, Raymond Chandler, and even Charles Dickens. More recent acclaimed mystery authors include Scot Turow, Ken Follett, John le Carre, John Grisham, and Tom Clancy.

One of my favorite mystery books is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt.

There are many more, but this is a good start.

Enjoy,

Jon

message 3: by Aja (new)

Aja Nichole (darkblonde) Thanks Jon!

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8713 comments Mod
Hi Aja. I pretty much started with Agatha Christie as well. There are a lot of other excellent writers I can recommend - if you enjoy Christie and English village mysteries, you may enjoy Caroline Graham's Inspector Barnaby novels. They're not exactly copies, but they're not too edgy, either.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5461 comments Welcome to the group, Aja. I see you've already received some excellent recommendations.

message 6: by Aja (new)

Aja Nichole (darkblonde) Nancy I love the Agatha Christie Novels and am slowly making my way though them. I also enjoy the Barnaby tv show and have the first novel on order! I don't mind edge at the same time I am a bit of an action person as well so If you come across any I would love to hear about them.

Thanks for the welcome Bill I'm happy to be part of the group!

message 7: by Amber (last edited Nov 11, 2014 12:31PM) (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 61 comments Is this the place to introduce ourselves?
I've been searching for an active mystery readers' group. The Good Thriller group is great, really fun and I get great recommendations there, but I am more of a mystery reader. I get hooked on good series with characters and settings I want to come back to. I grew up in a house full of mystery books and Shakespeare. My mother even taught a college course on the mystery novel. Some of my early memories include looking at such titles as Lord Peter Views the Body and wondering when I would be old enough to read things like that.
Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #4) by Dorothy L. Sayers

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Amber wrote: "Is this the place to introduce ourselves?
I've been searching for an active mystery readers' group. The Good Thriller group is great, really fun and I get great recommendations there, but I am mor..."

Hi Amber and welcome aboard! If you want to start your own thread, that's great, but not necessary. I'm with you - much more of a mystery reader. You'll get some really excellent recommendations here.

message 9: by Theona (new)

Theona | 20 comments Hello everyone, my name is Theona. I'm new to this group but not to goodreads. I like this site/app, its a great way to find really great books. It kinda why I'm joining this group. I've love a good mystery and would love to hear any recommendation. So hello and I can't wait to hear from everyone.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 61 comments Welcome. I hope to hear your recommendations, too.

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5461 comments Welcome to the group, Amber and Theona. I hope you enjoy the conversations and get many recommendations for new authors.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Theona wrote: "Hello everyone, my name is Theona. I'm new to this group but not to goodreads. I like this site/app, its a great way to find really great books. It kinda why I'm joining this group. I've love a go..."

Welcome, Theona! This is a group filled with lovely people - and we're honored to add one more lovely person!

message 13: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Jandrew (thebookishbloke) | 3 comments Hello! I'm Bobby, new to this group. I am an avid reader of mysteries/suspense. I'm excited to join this group to chat with people who love a good thriller!

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

You'll definitely find them here! Welcome.

message 15: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Jandrew (thebookishbloke) | 3 comments Nancy wrote: "You'll definitely find them here! Welcome."

Thank you!

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bobby wrote: "Nancy wrote: "You'll definitely find them here! Welcome."

Thank you!"

Welcome, and feel free to pop into any of the discussions.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5461 comments Welcome to the group, Bobby.