Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1) Mary Poppins discussion

Saving Mr. Banks

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kressel Housman So what did you think of the movie? I loved it! I have no trouble believing that P.L. Travers was as crochety as portrayed because Disney really did change the Mary Poppins character. Though the movie implies that Mary Poppins was modeled after Helen/Pamela's aunt, there's a lot of the author in the character, too. She's harsh on the outside, yet full of magic on the inside, and in contradiction with herself because she sometimes flat out denies all the magic she just made happen.

Stasha I went out and did some research on her after seeing the movie and Disney actually made P.L. Travers nicer!!!
They didn't mention anything about how she promised to adopt twin boys and then only took one because the spiritual omens told her the other was bad. What she did to the twins as they grew was horrible too.

message 3: by Mara (last edited Dec 05, 2014 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mara Pemberton Stasha wrote: "I went out and did some research on her after seeing the movie and Disney actually made P.L. Travers nicer!!!
They didn't mention anything about how she promised to adopt twin boys and then only to..."

Stasha,

If you Google her or read about her on Wikipedia you will learn that she didn't adopt both boys. She only adopted one boy and never told him he was adopted or had brother. I believe they met by chance in a Pub and lived close to each other and didn't know know each other until that chance meeting.

Mara

Stasha Mara, I thought I said she had promised to adopt both but then only took the one. Not only did she not tell her son he had a twin she refused any assistance to the family. So one boy was raised with advantages that Travers gave him while the other nearly died in abject poverty and she refused to even provide help for medicine. Go beyond wikipedia to original sources.

Kressel Housman The movie also toned down her weirdo mystical side. She was a big devotee of Gurdjieff.

message 6: by Somerandom (last edited Dec 15, 2014 03:36AM) (new) - added it

Somerandom The film is a romanticized version of both the events and Disney and PL Travers. A lot of what happened on screen never took place. It's overtly sentimental, sappy and..........it melted me. Seriously, after watching the movie my first reaction was to find Mary Poppins and watch it.

Sure, Travers was kind of a bitch in real life, but so are a lot of authors just in general. Disney was shown as the charming business man, though he did drink and smoke in the movie which was kind of ballsy for the studio to allow.

But I like a movie which acknowledges that authors do not merely write stories. They write their lives. I think it showed the audience why an author might be rather protective and hate an adaptation of their work.

The movie itself was a good story. The narrative was a cool "behind the scenes" deal, the characters were relatable and human and you understood why these two egos clashed. The romanticizing of Travers is understandable, at least in the context of a Disney film. You have to make her vulnerable to the audience to elicit sympathy/empathy, which helps the audience understand why she reacted the way she did. Although Disney did come out on top, so to speak, he was still imperfect. Which was, like I said, pretty gutsy given the Studio's protectiveness of Walt's image.

Was it all true? Well no. But Disney and really Hollywood is the last place I'd look for historical accuracy. And as far as Disney films are concerned, I felt it was a really well put together movie.