Nairobi 1st Thurs book club discussion

Kenya: A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi wa Thiongo

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Em (new)

Em Rain (emrain) | 8 comments Mod
Dear Nairobi book clubbers,

I've been thinking of ways to revitalise the Nairobi 1st Thursday book club and have decided to take a literary tour of the continent. I know it has been done before but I hope you will join me here, and for those in Nairobi, perhaps soon in person.

The first book will be Kenyan and I've chosed Ngugi wa Thiong'o's A Grain of Wheat. From Thursday 7 November until Sunday the 9th November lets see how an online discussion of the book goes.

I'll also post a separate discussion topic where we can suggest reading titles for the next country and see where this takes us.

A Grain of Wheat by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Maugp | 1 comments Hello, New but enthusiastic member here .
Did the meeting happen n what's the next book?

message 3: by Emmanuel (new)

Emmanuel Muinde | 3 comments Hi! Thanks for the book club. Is this an online or physical book club? Thanks

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I have not been active on this group but sounds interesting. How do we engage? Here or on other online media?

message 5: by Onyango (new)

Onyango Makagutu (makagutu) | 36 comments Mod
Hi Sophie, we interact here

message 6: by Em (new)

Em Rain (emrain) | 8 comments Mod
Hi everyone there has been a small group who have been meeting in person however it has begun to disband. I'd like to keep up the club and at the moment online seems to be the easiest way. However if people have ideas for how best to keep the group alive I'm open to suggestions.

message 7: by Emmanuel (last edited Jan 13, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Emmanuel Muinde | 3 comments Hi! Happy 2015. I have been looking forward to discussing the books that have been suggested here on this page, but I am not sure I have been navigating well. How do I become part of the discussion group? Reason is because I do not live in Nairobi anymore, where I used to belong to a physical book club. I wanted to belong to a virtual one as I organize a physical book club in Coast, or, is there anyone who knows an existing book club in Mombasa or Voi?
Thanks

message 8: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Kariri | 1 comments Hey everyone, Just Joined. Been looking for a book club and I stumbled on this one. Looking forward to fun times and reading a lot of books :-)

Cheers. Ami.

Ps. How about a whats up Group?

message 9: by Onyango (new)

Hello Ami. Welcome to the group unfortunately it seems to be quite dormant

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Munywoki | 1 comments Hey. .I'm also looking for a book club. Anyone know of an active group I can join?

message 11: by Onyango (new)

Hey Susan, the best idea would be to form one and invite guys to join. I have looked for an active book club with people of similar interest and I have been unsuccessful.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Great idea about an active book club.
I'd be very interested.

message 13: by Kobii (new)

Kobii | 3 comments Am looking for an active book club in Nairobi....any1 with an idea where i can join?

message 14: by Onyango (new)

Kobii, if you read the comments above, you will notice where I say this one seems to be active and the best thing would be to start one and invite guys

message 15: by Kobii (new)

Kobii | 3 comments hi guyz...
Anyone with these books;Over a thousand hills i will follow you by Hanna Jansen and The Richest man in Babylon???

message 16: by Emmanuel (new)

Emmanuel Muinde | 3 comments Hi! Raquel, Onyango, Susan, Kobii. While I lived in Nairobi I was part of an active physical book club that met once a month. I know at any given time they usually allow a certain number of members for easy discussions. For anyone in Mombasa, some 3 friends and I have started another book club and we meet monthly after finding this dormant. We have read one book so far, steve jobs by Walter Isaacson and now are reading hard tackle which we will be discussing in May. If interested in either contact me at manumutua@gmail.com

message 17: by Onyango (new)

Hi Emmanuel that's good to hear. I am in Nairobi so your group seems to be out of reach for me. I hope you guys are having fun though

message 18: by Kobii (new)

Kobii | 3 comments Hi Emmanuel....how i wish u guzs were in Nairobi i wld have definitely joined...tooo bad the distance