Suspense for Sensitive Readers discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments Since we're all here because we love entertaining/suspenseful stories without extraneous amounts of torture/rape/violence, I thought it made sense to create a thread where we can share some of our favorite authors/books for others in the group to check out.

If you can, please post a Goodreads link (just copy and paste) with the book title/author so others can easily find the recommendations.

Sound good?

message 2: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments Cool, thanks, DianeAlice! I will do the same when I have more time online as you said.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments I'm pretty new to this group, so I hope I am not going to repeat what the group has already discussed. I have read a few of the Simon Brett books about Carol and Jude, two friends who investigate crimes in their area. I have found them really enjoyable. Nice light reads with nothing horrible in them. If you read them in date of publication order, you also get to know Carol and Jude. Apart from this, I am also a great fan of Robert Goddard, who usually writes really good mysteries with twists galore. Again, they don't tend to have violence or foul language.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments That's wonderful. Thank you, DianeAlice. I am off to the library!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments I have picked up a copy of Nicci French's 'Waiting for Wednesday'. It caught my eye as it is set in Croydon in the very area where I was born and grew up (there is a map in the fly leaf). I have read the first chapter and so far, so good. Obviously, there was a description of what had happened to the victim of the crime, but it is well written and there are no profanities. I think it will be good. Thank you for the list of authors, it is lovely to find a group of readers who enjoy books like I enjoy, but, like me, don't want to read horrible things which will keep them awake at night.

message 6: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments Yippee! Am loving all these suggestions. Still don't have time to go through "my list" but will soon. Thanks everyone, and keep them coming. :)

message 7: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 104 comments DianeAlice wrote: "Just realised all but one of the authors I mentioned are women! Not sure why that is. Will have to rack my brains for some male authors now : D"

Ha haaaaa, that's awesome, DianeAlice. :)

message 8: by Rodrigo Cardoso Ribeiro (last edited Aug 29, 2021 07:16AM) (new)

Rodrigo Cardoso Ribeiro | 3 comments My recommendations may be mostly a bit obvious, but here’s what I have:

1. Harry Potter! There is always some mystery; I started loving these books as an adult already.

2. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes :) The one story that felt most mysterious to me was The Speckled Band

3. Blood Drenched Beard, by Daniel Galera. It’s not exactly a “mystery book” as a main description, but it’s an amazing page turner, I always craved to know what was next. And in spite of the title it’s not very violent.

Rodrigo Cardoso Ribeiro | 3 comments "The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency (series) by Alexander Mc Call Smith. Engaging gentle and informative set in Botswana!"

This was one of many many book recs for HSPs in this Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookr...

Rodrigo Cardoso Ribeiro | 3 comments Also "Thursday murder club" came from the FB Book Rec group, saying "there’s a few murders but they aren’t described graphically at all. It is more about the retirees solving them"