Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Female Power

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodie (new)

Jodie | 9 comments Ive been reading a lot of UF lately with the main characters being human female and male fae. I'd really like to read something adult (more romance the better) where the female lead is the powerful supernatural and the male character is human.

I didn't enjoy the fever series or Chicago land vampires (so no need to suggest those lol)

message 2: by Cee (new)

Cee | 51 comments I know that there is a human male love interest in the Hollows series by Kim Harrison (first book Dead Witch Walking), and the female lead is a witch. But the romance is pretty light in that series

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments Vengeance Borne - kind of close.

Heart of Steel - steampunk, but she is def the alpha.

message 4: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments The only books I can think of are these (and may be hard to find)(and/or not much romance), but definitely powerful females.

Sunglasses After Dark
Unclean Spirits
Skinwalker (if I remember correctly the lover interest is human)
Vampyres of Hollywood
Bloodshot
Blood Engines
Anno Dracula

message 5: by Delos (last edited Oct 26, 2014 04:48AM) (new)

Delos I just finished Succubus Blues and was surprised how much I liked it. It sucked me in in a way that I had hoped the Dresden Files series would, as an UF...which, for me, unfortunately, just didn't.

I don't think I'd ever have tried it, just based on the description and knowing the author was connected to the Vampire Diaries (EDIT - oops, that should be "Vampire Academy", not Diaries), but someone alerted me the Kindle edition of the first was on sale for $1.99, so I figured - meh, why not? I'm glad I did. It's my new, current obsessed-with series (and bonus - my library has the rest for Kindle. Yea.).

message 6: by Jodie (new)

Jodie | 9 comments Delos wrote: "I just finished Succubus Blues and was surprised how much I liked it. It sucked me in in a way that I had hoped the Dresden Files series would, as an UF...which, for me, unfortunatel..."

I was turned off that series mostly because of the reviews and I haven't had the nerve to touch it...was it worth it?

message 7: by Delos (last edited Oct 26, 2014 05:10PM) (new)

Delos The (edit, again, sigh, mis-spell) *Georgina Kincaid/Succubus series? (Not the Dresden Files, you mean?) Yes, worth it. I've been enjoying it. I wouldn't tell you it's the best UF ever, but it surprised me in some facets and I like books that over-deliver on my expectations :) Probably seemed even more so, as I've been struggling to make it through the Harry Dresden ones. It just came to mind first when you mentioned one where the female is the supernatural one, and the love interest is a mortal man.

If you'd just told me "It's a series about a succubus", I wouldn't have been interested, but this goes a different way than you'd assume. It actually has way less descriptive sexy time scenes than you'd think. It really is more about her struggling with her 'condition', how she's basically stuck in a 'job' she doesn't want to be in, and how it keeps her from having a normal life. And certainly a normal love life.

If you make it to the end of that first one, there's one thing that happens at the very end, a reference, that made me want to see how the entire series turns out. Which I also hadn't expected wanting to do.

Pagetranquility | 12 comments Delos wrote: "The Georgiana Kincaid/Succubus series? (Not the Dresden Files, you mean?) Yes, worth it. I've been enjoying it. I wouldn't tell you its the best UF ever, but surprised me in some facets and I like ..."

I am on the sixth and final book of the Georgina Kincaid series, and I'll tell you if you really liked the first book, the rest takes you on such an interesting adventure and you really care about the characters. I absolutely love this series, and am glad you brought it up.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Seanan McGuire's October Daye series is about a half fae woman who originally loved a mortal man and eventually had a child with him. She dates in the series, and while her (spoiler) dates aren't mortal, she's definitely the kick ass one with the power in the relationships.
Rosemary and Rue (October Daye #1) by Seanan McGuire

message 10: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) | 9 comments I'm falling in love with a new Author/Series!

Christina Henry - She writes the Black Wings series and it's soooo good!

Check it out -

Black Wings (Black Wings, #1) by Christina Henry

message 11: by Akaria (new)

Akaria Gale | 21 comments I'm really liking that cover for the Black Wings series. Very engaging!

I have a series where the woman is more powerful than her mate. Tney aren't human though. Angel's Awakening (Awakening, #1) by Akaria Gale is book one. Will this tickle your fancy? :)

message 12: by Jodie (new)

Jodie | 9 comments Omg you tease it hasn't been released yet!!! Lol