2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Dracula: General Discussion *Spoiler*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Oct 22, 2019 03:53AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4533 comments Discussion thread for Dracula by Bram Stoker

Please mark spoilers by typing [spoiler] before the spoiler and [/spoiler] after it and replacing the []s with < and >

message 2: by lafemmeabsurde (new)

lafemmeabsurde | 17 comments I'm super excited about re-reading Dracula, it is my favourite horror fiction of all time! I hope everyone enjoys it as much as i always do!

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6245 comments It's been literally on my bookshelf for years, so I'm glad to be nudged to reading it in the appropriately creepy season:)

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2615 comments I'm reading this for the first time. My only issue is I've seen both 90's adaptations, so I just keep seeing Keanu Reeves/Anthony Hopkins or Mel Brooks, and then I get distracted trying to remember more details about those movies.

It is funny how at 60% through the book, (view spoiler)

Also, I wonder if this was scarier before Dracula became almost cliché, and, you know, turned into a children's animated trilogy.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Butler | 49 comments I am only 6% of the way through and I'm really enjoying the vocabulary Harker uses.
What stood out to me is Dracula's physical description (view spoiler)
Thinking back to the many, MANY Dracula and vampire based films and portrayals we seem to have come a long way from this original portrayal. Now it is the norm to have unearthly beauty as the expected descriptions for vampires. (I'm ignoring sparkles for now!) This change must be the 'Hollywood' effect.

message 6: by Ice (last edited Oct 10, 2019 05:24AM) (new)

Ice M. | 72 comments Sue wrote: "I am only 6% of the way through and I'm really enjoying the vocabulary Harker uses.
What stood out to me is Dracula's physical description His face was strong - a very strong - aquiline, with high..."

I was thinking the same thing. It's my first time to read this book and although the vampire narrative has been repeatedly adapted in numerous mediums, I am curious to find out how much of what I know about vampires now stays true to this original vampire classic that started it all.

message 7: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2615 comments I'm procrastinating at work and found this http://mentalfloss.com/article/69823/... if anyone else is mindlessly wandering the internet when they should be doing other things.

I think it's interesting that Dracula didn't become a "classic" until movies started coming out. I do have to say, this is one rare instance where I enjoy the films much more than the book.

message 8: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Oct 13, 2019 05:45PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6245 comments The intro to my version of the book included Stoker’s mother’s review of the book. She claimed it would be a hit and surpass Frankenstein. Didn’t happen during his lifetime apparently, but it’s had massive impact on pop culture.

Anyone else love Elizabeth Kostova’s The Historian? I read it when it first came out and loved it. I wonder how it would measure up now that I’m reading Dracula.

What’s your favorite movie adaptation or spinoff book from Dracula?

message 9: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6245 comments Here's a quick bio on Bram Stoker - https://www.britannica.com/biography/...

And here's some info on the "real" dracula, Vlad the Impaler - https://www.livescience.com/40843-rea.... The portrait in particular looks rather similar to Stoker's description of Dracula.

message 10: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2615 comments Megan wrote: "The intro to my version of the book included Stoker’s mother’s review of the book. She claimed it would be a hit and surpass Frankenstein. Didn’t happen during his lifetime apparently, but it’s had..."

I read The Historian, but was not a fan. If you liked it, you may like Dracula just as much and vice versa. I rated both books 2 stars for similar reasons.

Favorite movie adaptations are in one of my comments above: both 90's versions. Nostalgia's fault. And Hotel Transylvania, but that might be my 7-year-old's fault.

message 11: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Oct 15, 2019 07:13AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments I’m afraid to say that I am not finding this book a pleasant read. It is exceptionally slow and fails to develop any intrigue. It had a fair start; I enjoyed the first 3 chapters but post that I feel I already know too much to find this tale any fascinating. Alas! I’m a few centuries late in reading this classic!

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura avery | 181 comments Countess Elizabeth Báthory is also a very strong contender for the basis of Dracula. I'm trying to think of all The Dracula films there are (Not just Vampires though)
I have half read the book last year and DNF it. I think I should pick it up but trying to figure out how to add it to my read pile for the year challenge.

message 13: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 3 comments Trisha wrote: "I’m afraid to say that I am not finding this book a pleasant read. It is exceptionally slow and fails to develop any intrigue. It had a fair start; I enjoyed the first 3 chapters but post that I fe..." Hmmm... I wondered the same Trisha, if I'm just too late as well. But as I have a policy that I always finish a read I start I will continue on and hope I will be more drawn in.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 909 comments SarahKat wrote: "And Hotel Transylvania..."

I don't say "blah blah blah!"

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dracula (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bram Stoker (other topics)