Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
This topic is about Abaddon's Gate
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Abadon's Gate [September 24, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Started today. End of Ch 13.

Well a slightly different format this time : we know who’s the supposed villain is right from the start. I hope the villain continues to be ruthless and manipulative.

Holden and the Rocinante
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yanique Gillana | 950 comments Mod
I've started this one, but I'm not that far in yet.

Gareth Lee | 24 comments I haven’t got off to flying start I’m afraid. I’m only on chapter 2.

Gareth Lee | 24 comments Anna is my new fave character, but given the possible alternatives included Melba, there wasn’t a lot of competition. The other two characters are lets say interesting.

Also really enjoying all the sciency stuff. I usually have a slight problem with wormhole technology because while they are theoretically possible, the technological issues you would need to solve to create one are so great that the idea that humans would develop them in the next few centuries seems a bit far fetched but having a superadvanced alien species that could be millions of years more technologically advanced than us create it seems like clever way to get around that.

End of Chapter 9
Bull - (view spoiler)

message 6: by Barry (last edited Sep 26, 2019 12:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments @ Gareth

re: Bull
(view spoiler)

I'm at Ch 20
Melba
(view spoiler)

Anna
(view spoiler)

The Ring
(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 32

The Ring
(view spoiler)

Melba
(view spoiler)

Cortez
(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Chapter 42
(view spoiler)

So far it's been a more gripping read than the second book, IMO. Better villain(s) so far. Or at the very least we've got more povs from the villain(s) than the previous two books.

Gareth Lee | 24 comments You’re racing through the chapters now, Barry. I thought I had read quite a lot in the last couple of days but I’m only at the end of Chapter 20.

@Barry re comment on chapter 13.
(view spoiler)

@Barry re comment on chapter 20.
(view spoiler)

Bull - (view spoiler)

message 10: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I made this my commute book and it's the worst! So much is going on and I keep starting and stopping at ridiculous places lol. Plus I'm getting through it sooo slowly. I'm also forgetting to share my thoughts and what points I really wanted to make...

I'm on chapter 26, thoughts:

Melba (view spoiler)

Holden (view spoiler)

Gareth Lee | 24 comments End of Chapter 32

Melba – (view spoiler)

The Ring - (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’m done. A couple of days ago actually.

I think action-wise, this is the most action-packed so far. I’ve mentioned one major point with regard to (view spoiler) that are less than believable to me. Other than that this is a pretty good one. Very enjoyable, though, I miss Avasarala and Bobbie.

message 13: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barry wrote: "I’m done. A couple of days ago actually.

I think action-wise, this is the most action-packed so far. I’ve mentioned one major point with regard to [spoilers removed] that are less than believable..."

Melba isn't my favorite character. She's just not ringing true to me. I also miss the Ava/Bobbie combo!

Gareth Lee | 24 comments I'm still at end of Chapter 42

The Ring (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Gareth wrote: "I'm still at end of Chapter 42

Re Cortez
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I finished. Definitely enjoyed this one. Melba was an interesting character, and Bull was an impressive individual in this installment. I really enjoyed all of the new characters.

Barry wrote: "Gareth wrote: "I'm still at end of Chapter 42

Re Cortez
I was reminded of a phrase, not sure where I heard it, that says the most dangerous man is the man who has no doubt that what he's doing is ..."

Cortez was necessary, but sooo annoying. I kept wanting him to get shot in the leg.

Gareth Lee | 24 comments I finished yesterday.

Clarissa (view spoiler)

Anna (view spoiler)

Overall (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 7290 comments OMG! Clarissa... Something is really wrong with this girl... I am only about a third in, and I strongly dislike her at this point. I like Pastor Anna though... And I can't even begin to fathom the political fallout from Clarrisa's actions...