2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Dracula: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4534 comments This month we will be reading Dracula by Bram Stoker

The aristocratic vampire that haunts the Transylvanian countryside has captivated readers' imaginations since it was first published in 1897. Hindle asserts that Dracula depicts an embattled man's struggle to recover his "deepest sense of himself as a man", making it the "ultimate terror myth".

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Davis (portia2012) | 117 comments I use to have this book. I need to get it again.

message 3: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments I’ve had this book for 12 years now but never got a chance to read. Eager to join this group read and finally read this masterpiece.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1462 comments I have been meaning to read this book for some time. I'm excited that it is a group read. Also, for Tammy or anyone else who needs to get it, is is available for free download at Project Gutenberg.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 600 comments Isn't 122 years enough of a lag time for spoilers? (view spoiler)

message 6: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 80 comments I have two copies of this book: The Illustrated Dracula in paperback and Dracula in audiobook with one of the narrators being Tim Curry. It’s an amazing audiobook on audible.

message 7: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Golesworthy (30smeg) | 16 comments I've got the paperback and the audio. Do audio books count for these challenges?

message 8: by Kiandra (new)

Kiandra Halstead | 33 comments I'm getting this tomorrow from library, never read it before, along with others I've been reading including books I'm getting from library(one for book club), and The Poppy War, I've a lot to read and am looking forward to this.😁✊😍

message 9: by John (new)

John Marshall (uberman5000) | 17 comments I started reading this last October, got about 30% in, and stalled on it. It's a juicy read, but girthy. I'm motivated to have another go at it.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 600 comments Hmm, juicy but girthy. Sounds delicious.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Nolan | 34 comments I read it a number of years ago and enjoyed it.

message 12: by David (last edited Oct 05, 2019 12:40PM) (new)

David Witka | 2 comments It's October 5th, not to late to get involved. I was worried October would blow by, because I'm usually so busy, and I'd miss out on this group read. I don't work weekends anymore, thank God, so here I am.

message 13: by David (new)

David Witka | 2 comments I read the first chapter. I really like how Bram laid in the impression that something terrible was too happen: the warnings, people saying strange things, the wolves, the speed of the horses. My favorite part, in Dracula's letter to Jonathon Harker, "At the Borgo Pass my carriage will await you and will bring you to me." It seems pretty ominous, sounds like Dracula has already claimed ownership of the guy. Great first chapter!

message 14: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine | 355 comments I definitely want to read this. I have been meaning to for years.

message 15: by Ice (new)

Ice M. | 72 comments I have decided to give this a try since the book so easily accessible. I agree with David. I have only read the first few pages, but I already like how the setting is being laid.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Butler | 49 comments I've just downloaded it on Amazon Unlimited but I'm lucky enough to have a hard copy too.
I think this is one of those books that everyone has heard and knows about but certainly one I have never read.

Better late than never.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 600 comments I am having a lot of trouble getting into this book. After several attempts I am less than 10% in because I keep falling asleep.

message 18: by Hidaya (new)

Hidaya | 9 comments I read this book two years ago, and definitely loved it! It gets better and better as you delve deeper into it. Happy reading everyone!

message 19: by Amy (last edited Oct 09, 2019 08:49AM) (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1462 comments Marc wrote: "I am having a lot of trouble getting into this book. After several attempts I am less than 10% in because I keep falling asleep."

I find it to be a slow start too. I think I am at 15%.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 600 comments Amy wrote: "Marc wrote: "I am having a lot of trouble getting into this book. After several attempts I am less than 10% in because I keep falling asleep."

I find it to be a slow start too. I think I am at 15%."

It got a little more titillating at the end of chapter 3, I will admit. My bigger problem is that I know all of the details already, because I have been alive for a good chunk of the last 122 years, was in a high school play based on the book, watched Buffy, Fright Night, who knows what else. I don't find the writing so good that it can overcome the lack of suspense or curiosity.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 600 comments Nope, had to DNF it, a rarity for me. I posted my review in the review thread. Happier reading to everyone else!

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather Dufield | 78 comments This is my second time reading this story. Yes it's a little hard to get into, but it's the authors way of setting up the story. It's more of a psychological story than the gruesome slasher horror story. After reading this the first time I watched the 1931 version of the film. I might after reading this a second time look at a more modern version of the movie.

I don't know if I had seen all of the people crossing them selves, if I would've continued on my journey to Dracula's castle. The things you do for work.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 909 comments I thought this book was dull and slow when I read it many years ago. I would probably enjoy reading it more now that I am older and have more patience, but for now I've decided to listen to the audiobook version on Libravox on my commute home from work. I'll save the actual re-read for a different day.

message 24: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6251 comments David wrote: "I read the first chapter. I really like how Bram laid in the impression that something terrible was too happen: the warnings, people saying strange things, the wolves, the speed of the horses. My f..."

Loved the first chapter too! I’m about a quarter of the way through and can’t wait to keep reading!

message 25: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments 47% into the book and I’m afraid that I do not find the book fascinating. It’s dull and exceptionally slow. Is it because I’m a few centuries late in reading this classic? Already know too much about the 🧛‍♂️s.

message 26: by Amy (last edited Oct 15, 2019 07:33AM) (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1462 comments I just got to Lucy and Mina's letters, and Mina's journal, and I read it before bed because it is making me very sleepy. Not great for a horror classic.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 600 comments Amy wrote: "I just got to Lucy and Mina's letters, and Mina's journal, and I read it before bed because it is making me very sleepy. Not great for a horror classic."

Trisha wrote: "47% into the book and I’m afraid that I do not find the book fascinating. It’s dull and exceptionally slow. Is it because I’m a few centuries late in reading this classic? Already know too much abo..."

Maybe we can say that the horror genre has evolved for the better. Dracula can hold it's place as a foundational or classic work with immense cultural penetration, but one that has been eclipsed in many ways over time.

message 28: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments @Marc - Can’t agree more!

message 29: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments I’m 91% into this book now. Forgive my extreme slowness, but as stated earlier, I find the content too dramatic and boring and thereby, can’t read much in a single go before I switch to a different book. However, I’m willed to complete this piece and not leave it midway. Less than 40 pages to go now!

message 30: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 1958 comments Finished the book and I’ve posted my review in the review thread.

message 31: by Woman Reading (new)

Woman Reading | 199 comments I just joined this group last week & thought that I'd have plenty of time to finish the 3 I was already planning to read plus Dracula by 10/31.

Oh, this is just a slow slog.I started 4 days ago & I'm only on ch 10 of 27 chapters. I will continue to push on but my reluctance reminds me of my school days.

One helpful aspect is that I am reading The New Annotated Dracula edition - so I have a "translation" at the ready.

message 32: by Keri (new)

Keri Sparks | 271 comments Marc wrote: "Isn't 122 years enough of a lag time for spoilers? [spoilers removed]"

You cracked me up

message 33: by Woman Reading (last edited Oct 29, 2019 03:16PM) (new)

Woman Reading | 199 comments Minor miracle - the book picks up & I made it to the 80% mark yesterday.
If you really want to finish this after previous failed efforts, look for The New Annotated Dracula with notes by Leslie S. Klinger. I recommend this edition. Leslie S. Klinger

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 1462 comments Oh my God, I finally finished this flipping book. I will agree it picked up a bit in the middle, but it was still a bit of a slog.