Life of Pi Life of Pi discussion

How to survive

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Illiterate I think this book offers some great survival lessons.
For the depressed, the bereaved, the distraught, the hopeless- There are some hidden messages from Pi's life that can help you survive your own stranding in the "Pacific".

I could deeply relate to Pi's distress, his wasting away. Isnt that just a metaphor for depression? What does one when you are utterly and hopelessly done.
What has Life of Pi taught you about survival.

Here are just a few practical lessons that are applicable to any situation

1) Keeping yourself busy

2) Count your blessings -even if that means making a list of all that you possess. Then go about Making do with what you have- not dwelling on loss

3) God has brought people and events into your life for a reason. To help you survive the very situation that you are in. The key is not forgetting the life lessons taught by loved ones in the past - being sure to use them as your proceed with life

Any others?

Gilma Chute I did not like the book, but I like the movie

Illiterate I did enjoy the movie as well. The visual effects were stunning. made me agree to travel to the 'bio bay' in Puerto rico just so I can experience the phosphorescence glow at night.
But you must admit. The book gave a lot more food for thought. It was mentally stimulating. The movie didn't do a lot to stimulate the mind. Just a treat for the eyes

Carrie I've read a lot about surviving, how to survive, learning to survive...it's a topic that intrigues me and interest me because you never know what you're capable of until put to the test. Resilience. Survival of the fittest.

Sic Transit Gloria You know, it's amazing how similar this book is to "Kon-Tiki" (by Thor Heyerdahl), a book where five men travel across the Pacific Ocean on a balsa wood raft to prove the ancients could do it. So many of the scenes were so similar to some in "Life of Pi". A lot of the lessons were the same, too.

Illiterate will definitely pick that one up. A balsa wood raft? That is definitely worse than a life boat. Makes my daily grumblings truly sound like laughable childs play. Everytime I am struggling with something at work, I sigh and just thank god I am not in the Pacific with a Bengal tiger I must feed.

message 7: by Geoffrey (last edited Oct 25, 2014 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geoffrey Sic Transit Gloria wrote: "You know, it's amazing how similar this book is to "Kon-Tiki" (by Thor Heyerdahl), a book where five men travel across the Pacific Ocean on a balsa wood raft to prove the ancients could do it. So ..."

Their trans-Pacific journey was more than just "to prove the ancients could do it". Thors contention was that MesoAmerican Indians came by boat directly east across the ocean to settle the New World, rather than the prevailing notion that Asiatic peoples followed the continental shoreline north and crossed over at the ice bridge near the Aleutian Islands. Yes, it was a fantastic story full of adventure for a preteen mesmerized by the exploits of a few hardy souls wandering the ocean.

Sévérin Grimm I liked the book but not the movie. That's what happens when you read a book, like it and watch the movie after that.

The list on "how to survive" is good except for the mention about god. What if you don't believe in a god?

Illiterate If you don't believe in God, then when confronted with crisis. That your survival in life to this point - pre crisis. Has prepared you for your survival during this new crisis.
All of the lessons your parents, friends, teachers, etc - have given you will enable you to survive. You must just keep a cool head on your shoulders and apply them carefully.
So hopefully in your normal everyday life -you are paying attention to lessons around you. You never know when life will be turned up side down by things out of your control. This crisis may be a pop quiz or the final exam. It will be your Pacific and your survival will depend on obscure seemingly meaningless information strategically placed in your life. If you don't believe in God, just think that luck/chance placed those lessons there.

Judith Illiterate wrote: "If you don't believe in God, then when confronted with crisis. That your survival in life to this point - pre crisis. Has prepared you for your survival during this new crisis.
All of the lessons ..."

The sales pitch when this book came out was :
"Life of Pi - A Story to Make You Believe in God"

Well, no it didn't - and I think it was arrogant of whoever came up with that line. I've always been an atheist and I'm still an atheist. It must be a great comfort for those who do believe in God, but please, don't preach to me about something that is, after all, simply superstition.

message 11: by Illiterate (last edited Oct 26, 2014 04:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Illiterate Yeah, I would agree. But Hey- what salespitch doesn't oversimplify the function of something in an effort to what...generate more sales.

I didn't write a review but I would have given it 3.5 stars. I feel like that the author did not try hard enough to even prove the 'story without animals'. The ending seemed thrown on. It didn't have the feel of a finely woven tale. Where everything just flows and fits. If he would have done so-it could have been 5 stars. I feel like he could have thrown in some character details or comments to keep you at least second guessing on a second read.

Anyhow I liked the fact it wasn't preachy. It viewed the religions through child eyes. I would not argue that the book makes you believe in God at all. It just touches on how believers of God, all religions may view the world vs those who are nonbelievers. The author didn't really dwell on this much though. I would view the book as an exploration/discussion about survival of both physical and mental crisis. Not a religious book. Hence why I posted the new topic and tried to start a discussion on that.

The whole.. "This is a story to make you believe in God".. is just a tag line to make some people pick up the book who wouldn't have done so in the first place... You are exactly right in calling a sales pitch.