Clean Reads for Mormon Teenagers discussion

Book Discussions > Do you read Sci-Fi/Fantasy Romance Novels?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Do you read Sci-Fi/Fantasy Romance novels? If so, what do you enjoy about them most from an LDS or Christian perspective? And, if you do not, do you have any strong reasons for not including them in your library? The reason I ask these questions is because I have written one and I believe it can be safely enjoyed by everyone from teenagers to the oldest among us, me included. As a new author, I am faced with how to target my audience or those that may enjoy my writing the most. I have no doubt that there are many and probably most people in the world that will not enjoy it. It is clean but it is intense. There is no sexual content at all, but there are a couple of violent scenes that are not even as violent as we find in the Book of Mormon, or the Bible. There is only one curse word used once, the one used in the movie, “Gone with the Wind”. I would give it a PG rating for the couple of violent scenes described and because it is not for children. The book describes mature subjects that a child would not understand or appreciate. The book also has a strong mystery feel to it.

Some ideas tend to lend themselves to fantasy analogies. As a child I remember going to see movies like “King of Kings” and “The Ten Commandments”. There were others also, like “The Robe”, but my point here is that these types of movies captured my intense feelings for Jesus Christ and who and what he was. I think it was from these movies, as inaccurate as they were that I developed the desire for good to overcome evil in all its forms. These feelings have followed me throughout my life and eventually to my first book, “Invisible”. This book is not about the Lord in an obvious sense. It is strictly a fantasy, but it is about overcoming evil and striving to obey and being faced with impossible decisions. It is about overcoming self to protect others. However, at the center, it is a romance and it deals with eternal concepts and how important it is to find the right person in this life to love.

If you are interested in this sort of book and you have an Amazon Prime account, you can read it for free from the lending library or you can buy it for $4.99. Whichever you choose, I would very much appreciate it if you would include a review of what you thought of it. The story is about 92K words long. I would also be happy to answer any questions you have about it. There will, no doubt, be some.

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Pike | 8 comments Sci-fi and fantasy have the fundamental essence that it is a battle between good and evil. There also needs to be a journey or a kind of rite of passage element to it. I want to see a character that I can relate to who changes and grows when they put into place values and principles that others think are strange or crazy.

Also your posts should be shorter if you want people to answer them. This is a comment for appealing to female readers. we want to know the characters. get involved in their lives but we don't want you to tell us everything. we couldn't care less what they are wearing or how fancy the space ship was unless it is essential for the story.

If you have read many Sci-fi and Fantasy you will see that many of the male writers are excessive when it comes to describing things as guys generally like detail, according to psychologist not just my opinion, and women like to relate to the character. We have to think things like, No don't go there, Just tell him! etc. because we feel we have come to know the characters intimately.

Don't worry about the violence. Intense is good. After all some of the best selling novels at the moment are pretty intense.

Good luck with your writing.

message 3: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Thank you for the response and the advice about making my comments shorter. I also agree with the difficulty involved when a male writes a story about a female character. It helps to have a lot of women in your life to advise.

message 4: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Pike | 8 comments Always. lol

message 5: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Jayda | 2300 comments Mod
I don't read a ton of sci-fi novels, but that's because I prefer dystopia and urban fantasy YA novels, I think. Science fiction is harder for me to get into because I often feel like it's more targeted towards boys/men and isn't as emotional.

Now, don't get me wrong. I hate it when characters in novels are overly emotional. That's not what I mean. What I mean is that sci-fi novels often feel more calculated and "cold"/unemotional than YA urban fantasy. I think that's one reason why I prefer to read novels based in the POV of women, as well.

Good luck with your writing!

message 6: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) "I don't read a ton of sci-fi novels, but that's because I prefer dystopia and urban fantasy YA novels, I think..."

That's a very good observation. Personally, I'm never quite sure why one genre is termed Sci-Fi and another is termed fantasy, and another is paranormal, etc. A lot of people have their favorites, but for me its hard to put some stories in a particular spot. After I finished my story and was faced with trying to identify the genre, I was unsure. During the review stage, I was told it was a mixture of a lot of things. I eventually narrowed it down to a Sci-Fi Fantasy Romance. I don't think its pure Sci-Fi, but I don't think its pure fantasy either. I'm completely confused about the paranormal distinction. Personally though, to me, it is more of a romance than anything else. But, as far as romance goes, that is different for each person. For age group, I think any age from 16 upward would like it. Now, if I could just get someone to read it, I would be tickled pink!

message 7: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Jayda | 2300 comments Mod
In my mind, the way things are categorized is based upon certain aspects of the story/plot.

Sci-fi = more about science/space travel/machines/etc
Fantasy = more about the magical, the mystical, witches and warlocks and elves and dwarves, etc.
Urban fantasy = all of the above in the fantasy genre, except based on earth/in real life, like City of Bones
Paranormal = werewolves, vampires, ghosts, ghouls, spooky things, etc.

Romance is generally a pretty obvious genre haha.

message 8: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) Ha, ha! You describe the different genres very well. I'm no longer sure what genre my story fall into now. Maybe I have created a new genre! :)

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Pike | 8 comments If it is set in the future and has magical elements it is still classified as a Sci-fiction. for instance Anne Mccaffrey's dragon series is actually set on another planet and though there are many magical elements she would be highly upset if you called her work fantasy. The classification is merely to attract people most likely to enjoy your books. But in the end only the Author can truly say what it is. the Reader will always put in their own interpretation.

message 10: by D.R. (new)

D.R. (woodhawk) I agree. That is exactly how I feel. Thanks for the comment.