Books on the Nightstand discussion

Postal Book Clubs > Postal Book Club - B - FULL

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments If there are any other people interested in participating in a postal book club, please post here. I like the idea of the 6 people, having two months between rotations. If you would like to participate, please post on this thread.

This sounds fun!

Erin

message 2: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I would like to do this.

Tammy

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan Woodbury | 13 comments I am interested too.

Joan in Colorado

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments Great! We have three spots left. Welcome Tammy and Joan.

I am in Wisconsin

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lewis | 19 comments I would love to join.

Rachel in Kansas City

message 6: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments I think it sounds like fun. I am in upstate New York b

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments I would like to join this. Sounds funs.

Pam south of Boston

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments Great! We have one slot left in this group.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments Yikes! I really can write; not evident by my post above...:)

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 48 comments Is a spot still open? I'd love to do this! I'm from NH.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen If theres an open slot I'd be interested

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments OK. We are at six with Jessica. Kristen, hopefully another one will open up.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments So sorry, I wasn't counting myself. We are actually full with Pam.

I see that there is C opened up. So sorry for the confusion Jessica.

I have sent a message to each of you privately to collect your contact information. Pam, your profile won't allow me to send you a message. Could you send me your mailing address by sending me a message?

Let's each post an introduction so we can get to know each other better. Also, the general rule that I am seeing is to have books with a page limit of around 300. Does that sound okay to everyone?

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and currently live in Racine, Wisconsin. I am married with a fourteen year old stepson who lives with us full time. I work in healthcare IT. We have four dogs - 2 Golden Retrievers, a Miniature Dachshund and an English Shepherd. We also have a 20 year old cat.

I enjoy reading a variety of genres. I am currently listening to Everything I Never Told You and reading What We See When We Read.

I am really looking forward to this book club. I will send out the schedule once I have everyone's mailing information.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments Erin--

At the Boston Book Festival all day today. Not that familiar with messaging using app so I'll send my contact info later when I get home.

Pam

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments Erin--

At the Boston Book Festival all day today. Not that familiar with messaging using app so I'll send my contact info later when I get home.

Pam

message 17: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments I live in upstate New York am married and we have two cats. I organize continuing legal education courses and am so excited to be able to be a part of this group. I have about a 35 minute commute to work each way, so I listen to audiobooks as well. The only book genre I really don't like is dystopian. I've tried it a few times and just cannot get onto it.

message 18: by Joan (new)

Joan Woodbury | 13 comments I live in Fort Collins and am married with two kids ages 15 and 12. I am an attorney w/ a legal aid office. In my free time I love to read and run. Thanks to audio books I can do both at the same time! I read a lot of fiction and memoirs.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments Here is what I am thinking for the schedule:

10/30/2014
12/30/2014
2/28/2015
4/30/2015
6/30/2015
8/30/2015
10/30/2015

So on 10/30/14 you would get your book and journal and start reading. You would then send your book to the next person on 12/30. Does this schedule work for everyone?

message 20: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments Works for me.

message 21: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I live in Phoenix, AZ and am married with two dogs. I've worked for the City for many years doing all types of financial analysis but last year moved to the library where I basically serve as the business manager. Surrounded by books in a beautiful building - yes I'm lucky! I read a lot of fiction and memoirs, and some non-fiction. The only genre I don't really care for is fantasy. Looking forward to our group!

The schedule you posted works for me.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lewis | 19 comments I am a 26 year old living in Kansas City, MO. I am not married but am in a committed relationship. I started my own business a couple of years ago and am getting ready to launch a second one on November 1st. I am very excited to be a part of this group! I read all genres but mainly listen to my non-fiction reads.

The schedule you posted looks great to me. One quick question - would anyone mind if the books are slightly longer than 300 pages? By slightly, I mean a leeway of 15 pages or so.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I am fine with a leeway. I would say anything up to 325-330? Is everyone else okay with that?

message 24: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments I have no problem with any length. The books I've been looking to send are all more than 400 pages. I will continue looking for something shorter.

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments If everyone is okay with bigger books I am good too. I was having a hard time finding one at the limit.

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments If everyone is okay with bigger books I am good too. I was having a hard time finding one at the limit.

message 27: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I'm fine with longer books as well.

message 28: by Joan (new)

Joan Woodbury | 13 comments I'm fine w/ longer books as well. Also, a confession: I'm new to Goodreads and it may take me awhile to get into the swing of the website, the listing of books, etc.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lewis | 19 comments I'm fine with books of any length.

message 30: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments Does everyone want to keep the book we choose a secret/surprise?

message 31: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments It's fun to get a surprise in the mail, but what if some of us choose the same book? Also, I'll read books of any length, especially if we have two months.

I'm married with two teens, two cats, and a dog. We live near the ocean, between Boston and Cape Cod. I work at home for a company based in the DC area and travel often. I still don't use a Kindle or any other digital device for book reading, so my bookshelves are kind of ridiculous right now, and my luggage is always a little bit heavy!

Really looking forward to this group!

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I think I would like the surprise, but if everyone would rather share, I am okay with that. I have my book and journal picked out already. :-)

message 33: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments I am going to try to pick them up tomorrow night. It will be tough hanging out in a bookstore

message 34: by Joan (new)

Joan Woodbury | 13 comments I vote for the surprise, too. I told my husband I'm in a book group w/ people from MA, AZ, WI, NY, NH and he was so confused. What a great idea!

message 35: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments My husband was confused as well. I'm looking forward to a New Year "present"

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments Has anyone started reading yet?

message 37: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments I haven't. I need to go to the bookstore. I keep changing my mind about the book. How about you?

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments No I haven't either. I have it but am finishing up a couple first. :)

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments No I haven't either. I have it but am finishing up a couple first. :)

message 40: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments I think I'll finally settle on a book this weekend - so many to choose from and don't want to pick poorly!

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lewis | 19 comments I'm doing the same as Tammy and picking one this weekend. There are so many fantastic books I'm having a hard time picking the one I want to send.

message 42: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments So, should we all be friends on Goodreads to see what others have read in order to pick out a book? I've selected one but not sure if others have read it.

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I think that is a good idea. I sent invites to everyone a while back. I know a lot of you already accepted.

I am three chapters in on my book.

message 44: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments I quickly checked everyone's to read and read list and happily, the book I have chosen was not on anyone's list. Thanks to having to administer a conference, I am about halfway through my book. :)

message 45: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 43 comments Does anyone have a preference about the type of notebook that is sent along?

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lewis | 19 comments I don't have a preference about notebooks. Getting started on my book this weekend!

message 47: by Joan (new)

Joan Woodbury | 13 comments This is a good incentive for me to update Goodreads! I don't mind if I get a book I've already read and I don't have a notebook preference either.

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I don't have a preference either. Hoping to get some reading in this weekend!. Have a lot going on but I like my book so far so plan to get through some more of it.

message 49: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 26 comments No preference for me either. Will be starting my book this week.

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam | 81 comments Couldn't wait to start mine, so put down the one I was reading, and finished it. Rachel should be getting her package from me shortly!

« previous 1