Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Book News > E-book or print? INTERESTING NEWS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Oct 23, 2014 05:35PM) (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Follow the link to read an interesting article about the benefits of reading print over digital. Good information for those of you who are fiercely loyal to your print books

http://mic.com/articles/99408/science...

message 2: by Karen (last edited Oct 24, 2014 01:25PM) (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I personally prefer a hardcover book. What I find interesting in the article is that stress is reduced by 68% after reading for 6 minuntes.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Oct 24, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I found the part that states that people have better comprehension and retention when reading paper print very interesting. I have always found that to be very true myself but I thought it was just my own little oddity. It's nice to hear that many people experience the same thing. When I was doing a course online I had the hardest time concentrating when reading lectures online. Yet I could print that lecture and read it and absorb it easily. You wouldn't think it would make a difference, after all reading is reading, but I find a noticeable difference when reading digital.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Karen wrote: "I personally prefer a hardcover book. What I find interesting in the article is that stress is reduced by 68% after reading for 6 minuntes."

Funny, I thought that was interesting too but I think it depends on the circumstances. When your 6 minutes gets interrupted 6 times by someone yelling "Mom-where's my....?" and you realize you have read the same paragraph 6 times, it can actually be pretty stressful. However 6 minutes in an empty, quiet house with a hot cup of tea is a whole other matter. That is blissful :)

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I can see that this would be true. When I really have to read something that i need to remember and refer back to I always print it out. I realize that there are ways to highlight and make notes on electronic reading but this doesn't have the same impact for me as being able to scribble in the margins and use various highlight colours if and when necessary.
I mostly read fiction in 'e' version and not non fiction. It is handy to have a book always available in my purse for those times when you have to 'wait' for something or someone. But I prefer hardcovers when possible.
I found the part about stress relief interesting. I had never read about that before. I think I'll go and give it a try. Tea is ready!

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 101 comments Well I'm a little late to chime in on this subject, but having spent many years fiercely loyal to paper books, I admit that I've moved over the the 100% ebook camp. When I was given a reader 3 years ago I expected it to collect dust in the corner, however after having a few particularly large books to lug around with me, I decided to give it a try and I've never gone back. I see no difference in my level of relaxation to be honest. I've decided a good book is a good book regardless of the medium. It has eliminated the "No Book" lapse which I often had when I didn't have time to make it to the library for a week or more. And I no longer feel the stress to get things read so that I can return the book on time. I'm not sure I feel any difference in my empathy level reading on an ebook, I'm pretty sure I've cried at just as many endings as with my print books.

I do admit though that when it hits you on the forehead when you fall asleep reading it is slightly more painful than a paperback.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Colleen wrote: "Well I'm a little late to chime in on this subject, but having spent many years fiercely loyal to paper books, I admit that I've moved over the the 100% ebook camp. When I was given a reader 3 yea..."

It's so true that you can't beat an ebook for convenience. I find them way more comfortable to read in bed and as you mentioned Colleen,they are wonderful for those big clunker books that are so awkward to handle. But does it ever drive you crazy that you can't easily flip back in the book to check a name or a date? That drives me crazy.